• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root Hype around cyanogen?

Wow, I just flashed Cyanogen. I was planning on dedicating an hour or two to getting around this, but I downloaded ROM Manager, flashed ClockworkMod in about a second (beats having to do "flash_image /sdcard/clockworkmod.img" in the terminal), and then the program downloaded Cyanogen for me and flashed it! I'm amazed at how easy the procedure was.

Now as to what I think of the ROM... first boot actually feels REALLY laggy. I'm gonna keep tinkering with it, though. This ROM is far too different from all the others to let my first impression affect my decision!

shadow...give it a couple of days and a few reboots and see what you think...

as strange as this sounds I've left my Droid alone for several days (i.e. no ROM or theme switches) and this thing is running great...better than the first few hours...I'm even still on the first version of 5.0.5...

before my Droid I had a BB Storm that I was always trying out new leaked and custom OS's....people would always say to leave one on for several days to let it settle in....always seemed strange that a machine needed some time to work better, but I really notice the difference on my Droid.....I think this thing is a Cylon or something...:D

Upvote 0
Look through the menus. There are a lot of little things spread out throughout that make it considerably different.

Yeah, the first thing I did was poke through all the menus but truthfully, I don't know what I'll do with all of those features. The only thing I really want in a ROM is something that'll run fast with all the bells and whistles on (Live Wallpaper, me running a bunch of apps at once, etc.). Of course I love trying out the latest and greatest, but CyanogenMod doesn't seem to be too different from Bugless Beast. But is it worth switching to from Bugless Beast? I'd say so just for ROM Manager (you can use ROM Manager with Bugless Beast if you purchase the premium version).

Upvote 0
I'm really happy with this ROM. So far, I've had the fewest FC's, the battery life seems a little better than Simply Stunning, and everyone is right; it's the little things that make this special.

For example, moving widgets or shortcuts from screen to screen is ridiculously easy now, whereas before it was torture. Movement between screens is bouncy and smooth, and I find I really miss the 3D app drawer when I'm on my husband's Droid.

I would tell you more except I'm not sure what exactly it is that makes this so different, except that it is. It just seems finely, lovingly tuned from the bottom up.

Upvote 0
I'm really happy with this ROM. So far, I've had the fewest FC's, the battery life seems a little better than Simply Stunning, and everyone is right; it's the little things that make this special.

For example, moving widgets or shortcuts from screen to screen is ridiculously easy now, whereas before it was torture. Movement between screens is bouncy and smooth, and I find I really miss the 3D app drawer when I'm on my husband's Droid.

I would tell you more except I'm not sure what exactly it is that makes this so different, except that it is. It just seems finely, lovingly tuned from the bottom up.

use the fix permissions option on the bottom of rom manager. that should clear up any remanding force close issues.

Upvote 0
I'm having some issues. First,I lose data access with this ROM. The 3G disappears and I can't get it back.

Second, it's slooooooow. I did a data wipe when I installed. Dunno why it's doing this. 1.2 oc with Chevey's kernels.

Also, my battery life is sub-par.

I'll play with it a bit more. Hate to give up on it.

I have found that formatting data, then wiping system, cache, and boot, before you load Cyanogen (or any of the themed packages) helps reduce the problems like this.

Also, don't run Chevy's kernel with this...I didn't think it would even work but try the kernels here (post 159 seems to be the latest "test" kernels (I'm using the kernel in post # 132):
Kernel Requests - CyanogenMod Forum - Page 8

or here (I haven't tried this but they are made for Cyanogen):

New Kernels Page ***600 To 1250 Mhz*** - CyanogenMod Forum

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has had problems with Cyanogen.
I installed it with ROM manager, and I did a complete wipe when installing.
After installing the system was very slow.
Along with the lack in performance, it would randomly restart on its own.

Not worth the trouble.

I'm now back to running Bugless Beast 0.9 with Chevyy 5 slot 1.0 and Helix Launcher

Upvote 0
Well, good news. I had to leave to meet my mother for lunch so I didn't have time to put Simply Stunning on. I just reflashed Cyanogen before leaving and it still didn't have data. Well, I park to go eat and data comes back! I guess 228 finally kicked in or something.

The ROM is a lot faster now too. I'll keep with this one for a while. I like it a lot, but it just wasn't working. Now it is.

Upvote 0
Well, good news. I had to leave to meet my mother for lunch so I didn't have time to put Simply Stunning on. I just reflashed Cyanogen before leaving and it still didn't have data. Well, I park to go eat and data comes back! I guess 228 finally kicked in or something.

The ROM is a lot faster now too. I'll keep with this one for a while. I like it a lot, but it just wasn't working. Now it is.

It makes no logical sense (at least not to me) but as said before, ROMs break in like a new pair of shoes. Glad you stuck it out with Cyanogen.

Upvote 0
I read in the instructions that you need to wipe memory TWICE before you install this ROM, not just once. I did that and I had no trouble with installation, booting, or running Cyanogen.

Yes, after wiping the first time with ROM Manager your device will reboot into the "old" ROM. Then "wipe and install" Cyanogen and you should be good to go.

Upvote 0
Decided to take a look at this - I installed the update.zip version that jrummy has provided ((3-27) Jrummy's Remix Cyanmod 5.0.5.3 V.0.3 *too Many Scripts & Goodies* - CyanogenMod Forum)...

Had to format system & data to get it to really work, as an update.zip over Simply Stunning the market would force-close repeatedly.

I've only had it a few hours, so lots more to see how it work overall, but initial impressions are that it is indeed a very good ROM. :) It appears to have moved forward significantly from the last time I tried it.

Recommended - definitely worth taking a look at now...

Did have to use ROM manager to apply the permissions fix - before that pretty much most apps were force-closing. The Permissions fix was disabled in ROM manager until I had installed the clockwork recovery using ROM Manager.

Upvote 0
For a first-time Cyanogenmod install, I'd recommend you go to the Cyanogenmod forum, download the 5.0.5.7 ROM and the "Google Addon: EPE54B" zip and place them on your SD card. Doesn't matter where you put them.

OP here has the files:

Cyanogenmod For Droid V5.0.5.7 (04/05/2010) - CyanogenMod Forum

Then back up anything you want to back up in your current ROM.

Then boot into recovery, and use the Partition menu in clockwork recovery to format system, data, and cache.

Then use the clockwork recovery option to "install zip from sd card" (not the update.zip option) to install both the 5.0.5.7 ROM and the google add-on zip. (Koush keeps google apps like marketplace separate from the ROM zip.)

Reboot your phone, sign in, and start configuring/playing. Note - this ROM should automatically download and install all your paid and free apps that you have installed before you did the wipe, assuming you've had the "backup my settings" option checked. While it is doing that your phone will feel a little bogged down, you might want to enable wireless so that the downloads go faster.

Once you have Cyanogen installed that way, for future updates you can use the "Check for updates" option in ROM Manager.

Also, after you've installed 5.0.5.7 you can find themes for it in ROM Manager under the Download ROM option...my favorite is Nextheme under Haxzamatic.

If you want to download a completely themed version of cyanogenmod 5.0.5.7, jrummy has an excellent version available - look in the droid ROM section on the cyanogenmod forums. You can download and install his fully themed ROM the same way you would install the unthemed ROM files above...he also includes stuff that you would probably like to have, like the youtube hacks, etc.

Finally, you'll find overclock kernels available in ROM Manager under Download ROM>Cyanogenmod - from Bekit and P3Droid (I think you have to enable Developer Mode" in ROM Manager to access the kernels...from main screen of ROM Manager - Menu>Developer Mode).

Upvote 0
I recommend follow this I found over at CM forums,

http://androidforums.com/all-things...ng-certain-stopping-certain-apps-loading.html

I renamed the Launcher.apk and it really was much faster when using Launcher2.apk. I renamed that as well since I prefer Helix but it really does seem to make a difference. You can also remove other apps as well such as amazon mp3, corpcal, email (I use K-9), etc.

And my thread here (not that I'm self promoting)

http://androidforums.com/all-things...ng-certain-stopping-certain-apps-loading.html

People have listed apps they've removed or things to not remove. :)

And for personal experience, I used to run BB but had little issues here and there. Flashed to CM and now I don't think I can go back. The reboot option is really nice, there's also integrated USB tether (though I haven't tried it) built into the wireless/networks menu I believe.

Upvote 0
Brand new root/Cyanogenmod user here. I just flashed my phone to 5.0.5.7 and I don't see the 3D drawer app all of you seem to have. I'm hoping that this is just something I need to adjust in my settings somewhere, otherwise :(

Also, is apk from the following link all I need to get wireless tethering up and running or do I need another app to get it working:

Downloads - android-wifi-tether - Project Hosting on Google Code

EDIT

I was using the regular Home option and not the Launcher. 3D apps drawer ftw! Still wondering about how to go about tethering.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones