• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Hyperlight: an innovative tilt-based 2.5D action game.

afcef39807e3ee7c4efdaa39237c55f1.png

★ From iPhone and iPad now finally on your Android device!
★ Highly optimized for Android TEGRA tablets and high-end smartphones!!
★ Works well also on older Android smartphones.
★ Xperia PLAY optimized!
★ Hyperlight is reborn with virtual stick support and many improvements!!!

In this game you control a stylized spaceship in a virtualized cosmic environment where evil beings try to reach you in order to turn off the last human hope. However your ship, the Hyperlight, posses a special power! if successfully used, it can wipe out all your foes: it can travel at faster-than-light speed (FTL) making it impossible for anyone to catch it and is also able to disintegrate everything it touches!

With simple gestures, you can move the Hyperlight at regular speed but also turn on its FTL engine to perform incredibly rapid attacks!
Controls are simple and you can choose from touch only controls, tilt only or the exotic tilt & touch.

In this game there are also dozens of power ups and weapons you can easily activate simply by gathering them on the battlefield: the Hyperlight ship is able to use them automatically. Hyperlight is easy to play but hard to master, there are so many ways to improve your skills that you will find yourself playing it for months! For a complete guide on all the gameplay secrets of this game see the guide (11 pages!) included ;)

Can you survive these incredible hordes of enemies?
Enemies will try to do everything to stop you, assuming several attack formations, different strategies, also leaving powerful dimensional trails on the battlefield that only at FTL speed you can cross!

And watch out for the evil commanders: huge bosses await the Hyperlight in the dark corners of the universe!

★ REVIEWS ★

"Beyond a doubt, Hyperlight offers an immense amount of gameplay. Add a tasty difficulty and two different game modes, and what you have is a piece of iOS gaming art." TheiPhoneAppReview.com

"Innovative and unique, Hyperlight may look as derivative as they come, but is a breath of fresh air to the Market Place." PocketGamer.co.uk

"Factor in tight controls and sharp neon graphics, and you have a leading candidate for App Store game of the year." MoDojo.com

"Overall the game gives you complete value for your money. Hyperlight is a kind of game you will end up playing for hour’s non-stop." 5/5 iPhoneFootPrint.com

"Hyperlight is a unique experience with outstanding HD visuals, all for a low price. It might be difficult, but it can easily be mastered with some practice. Definitely check it out!" Appolicious.com

"Hyperlight is a feast for the senses and a worthy successor to the twin-stick shooters that brought up to this title." AppSpy.com

"It’s an exciting, adrenaline-pumping game that eschews traditional shooter gameplay!" FreshApps.com

★ FEATURES ★
* Universal App: runs in HD on high-res Android devices!!
* Extremely innovative gameplay: burn your enemies faster-than-light!
* 3 Control systems to meet your taste: Virtual Stick, Tilt only and Tilt & Touch.
* Stunning 2.5D neon-style graphics, effects and animated backgrounds.
* Exciting techno and rock musics!
* Arcade mode with 40 different levels.
* Infinity mode for an endless fun.
* Several huge bosses to face.
* Openfeint support. (with 24 Achievements!)
* Local and Online High Scores.
* Powered by Unity3D.

iPhone4_shot.png

Download from Android Market: Android Market Web Page

Download from Amazon Appstore: http://www.amazon.com/gp/mas/dl/android?p=com.CatfishBlues.Amazon.Hyperlight

>Visit our YouTube channel
>Follow us on Twitter
>Become an Hyperlight fan on Facebook
>Visit our site: catfishbluesgames.com

Screenshots

screen1.png

screen4.png

screen2.png

screen3.png

screen5.png

Higher-Res screenshots here and here!

In this new thread we will discuss about every aspects of Hyperlight, including all future updates and price changes. Also, tell us what you think about the game, any suggestions will be considered for the next updates.

Stay tuned! ;)

I did really like what I saw of it, if that's any help. It just ran visibly slow on my stock Desire (I checked a YouTube video of the iPhone version and there was a clear difference) so it didn't seem worth me bothering and I refunded it. Not trying to bitch, just noting - a shame, since I liked the feel of it much more than PewPew, which would seem to be the most obvious competition on Android.

Upvote 0
Hi all :)

We have just released a new update (v1.1.6) for Hyperlight.
The game should now run at higher framerate even on older smartphones like the Motorola Droid, Nexus One and HTC Desire or other devices based on Adreno 200 or PowerVR SGX 530 GPUs. The game will run in compatibility mode using a lesser graphics configuration.

I hope you will enjoy it! ;)

Upvote 0
Hi guys!

@ Essex : the next week we will release the Lite version of Hyperlight, with the first five levels of arcade Mode playable (up to the first mid-boss) and an Android-exclusive additional control system ;)

@Supermanlegend : Hyperlight offers two game modes, Arcade and Infinity. The arcade mode includes 40 levels (with 4 boss and 4 mid-boss) divided into 4 categories (novice, advance, expert and master), and offers the possibility to start over from the category that you have achieved. If you can pass level 10, for example, you can start at level 11 at any later time.

Reactions: Essex
Upvote 0
The new version of Hyperlight is out!

It includes:

-An additional control system based on tilting and touching!
-An additional almost-vertical new tilt calibration setting, for up to 6 game control configurations!
-Some improvements to the User-Interface, 'How to Play' section and the overall user experience.
-Better Open Feint integration.
-The game should now supports additional devices with different display.

Stay tuned! ;)

Upvote 0
The new version of Hyperlight is out!

It includes:

-An additional control system based on tilting and touching!
-An additional almost-vertical new tilt calibration setting, for up to 6 game control configurations!
-Some improvements to the User-Interface, 'How to Play' section and the overall user experience.
-Better Open Feint integration.
-The game should now supports additional devices with different display.

Stay tuned! ;)

Hi there,

Bought this the other day - really great game. Two things though;

- Firstly, I'm really crap, and i find the game quite unforgiving. Haven't made it passed level 4 yet due to the fact that if you make a mistake without a shield (e.g. mis-judge how far you need to tilt to go into FTL, or miss the on-screen button to go into FTL), that's it, game over. It would be nice to be able to absorb even 1 non-shield hit.
- Secondly, would it be difficult to add in a manual calibration? I play games lying on the couch with the phone screen titled towards my face, but I have to sit up like a shmuck to play this game!

Keep up the good work - delighted to see uber-quality games can still be made without the need for the latest brand name graphics chip rubbish that's currently goin on!

Upvote 0
@spottyelephant : thanks for the advice, we will evaluate the possibility of including an additional calibration in the next updates, although I must say that we have already done some tests and we have not achieved good results playing that way.

Regarding the extra chance, I assure you that once you become familiar with the controls the shield is more than enough :) (I admit, however, that initially the game may seem too much difficult).

@diS: you played the game on desire? In this case, the graphic aspect was significantly reduced to keep the game pretty smoot.

Upvote 0
What's the performance like on the EVO?

Hello teamSOFA,

Hyperlight runs fine on HTC EVO, although not all graphic FX are enabled. I must say that most users who bought the game have just the EVO and nobody has complained :)

In fact, here's two comments:
"Awesome game on Evo and great graphics" Chris
"Fantastic game...runs smooth no lag on evo" David

Upvote 0
Hello teamSOFA,

Hyperlight runs fine on HTC EVO, although not all graphic FX are enabled. I must say that most users who bought the game have just the EVO and nobody has complained :)

In fact, here's two comments:
"Awesome game on Evo and great graphics" Chris
"Fantastic game...runs smooth no lag on evo" David

Thanks for the heads up. I'll check it out, then!

Upvote 0
Hyperlight v1.3.0 available tomorrow 10/14/2011!!

★ On sale! 50% off!
★ Highly optimized for Android TEGRA tablets and high-end smartphones!!
★ Xperia PLAY optimized!
★ Hyperlight is reborn with virtual stick support and many improvements!!!

What's New:

- A new control system: Touch only! (Virtual Joystick support!)
- More life for the player's ship in Arcade Mode.
- Full 60 fps on TEGRA tablets and high-end smartphones!!
- New and better graphics for the Menu.
- Many improvements.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones