• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I almost feel ashamed

D

Deleted User

Well, I had the galaxy tab for 14 days, today. I had to make choice to keep, return, or exchange. My gf has the ipad2 and I got to use that pretty extensively alongside the galaxy tab.

I ended up switching to the iPad. I've been so against apple that I can hardly believe my own actions. There is no doubt I made the right choice, though. IMO, it is the superior tablet. I kept asking myself if the iPad would limit what I intend to use it for, and it doesn't.

I hope you all enjoy the galaxy tab. I liked it a lot, that's for sure. I'll definitely be keeping an eye out on this forum. Good luck.

Eric

No need to be ashamed. To each his own. I see a lot of people complain about android tablets in general and to be honest I've had my share of annoying bugs to deal with. But... I used to have the original ipad. Bought it the first day it came out. I got rid of it after a few months because I was having multiple issues. Major issues too.

Other than the issues I had, it was great. Everything was so easy to use. The only thing that was really annoying for me was the lack of flash.

In the end we're all tech heads and they all pretty much do the same thing. No need to feel any animosity. Good luck.

Upvote 0
Agreed... no need to be ashamed at all. You have to use what works for you, and if it's an iPad, then good for you. I'm in a similar situation... wife has an iPhone and iPad while I have a DroidX, Galaxy Tab 10.1, and Asus Transformer (not sure if you saw my other thread.... I bought a Transformer to use alongside my 10.1 to evaluate). My wife keeps teasing me to "join the dark side" and get an iPad. I said I would if these two Android tablets don't work out. I don't expect the device to be 100% problem free - it's an imperfect device built by imperfect humans - but I do expect it to function properly when performing normal tasks such as watching movies, surfing the Intertubes, and working with email.

The Galaxy Tab 10.1 is a sexy device and I WANT it to work for me but at the first sign of trouble, it's going back and I'm keeping the Transformer.

Upvote 0
Yes, I've gone to the dark side, lol. I have a Droid X (rooted) as well, great phone. I put up with issues with it but it's been good.

My dad, who is 67, got an iPad2. He asked me when I got the Galaxy tab why I didn't get an iPad, I said "Because I'm smarter than that". When I had to make the call of shame to him yesterday, he giggled like a little school girl and busted out laughing. Then he followed up with something like '"See, your old man still knows what's best..." sort of thing, I couldn't hardly listen :)

Upvote 0
It's not the argument that Android is not for me, I'm very familiar with and am a fan of, Android. It's my preference. The problem for me is the tablets that are running Android inconsistently and with stability issues, that's the issue.

Ashamed is probably not the best word, it's more like I got to eat my words now to my friends and family.

For a tablet, I'm really not missing multitasking or widgets. On my Droid X, I love them.

Upvote 0
It's not the argument that Android is not for me, I'm very familiar with and am a fan of, Android. It's my preference. The problem for me is the tablets that are running Android inconsistently and with stability issues, that's the issue.

Ashamed is probably not the best word, it's more like I got to eat my words now to my friends and family.

For a tablet, I'm really not missing multitasking or widgets. On my Droid X, I love them.

if that's the case, then what problems where you having? i'm not saying my tab is perfect, but i've not encountered anything that would make me want to returned it (or worse).

any "major" issue i encountered was of my own doing, where i rooted and flashed and messed up somewhere so the tab was behaving squirrelly. re-flashed back to stock and all is fine again.

Upvote 0
For me when travelling I like the ability to have several different tasks at the touch of the button with the Galaxy. The fact I can't seem to get it to work with my HP Eny wireless printer (no app) netflix and hulu) no app has me thinking I might take one more round with the IPAD 2 -

so the iPad works with your printer as-is or with an app? have you tried the android printer apps? as for netflix, it should be soon enough unless you want to root to get it now (similarly with hulu).

as for the availability of the number of apps for honeycomb vs. apps for iPad...face palm. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
The only major issue I had was with my first galaxy. I got home, did update, bricked tablet. Exchanged the next day, update worked. From there it's things like occasional force closes with some apps, lagging (which is probably more touchwiz because it was better with ADW), sporadic freezes, youtube buffering issues, and what Badankles mentioned, application development. Things like netflix (and yes, I did side load it), no skype video, etc.

Badankles, I don't think the iPad works with printers as is, there are a few apps (AirPrint, PrintCentral, Print-n-Share) that are supposed to be great for it, though. I haven't tried printing from galaxy tab but I think you can use Google Cloud.

Upvote 0
The only major issue I had was with my first galaxy. I got home, did update, bricked tablet. Exchanged the next day, update worked. From there it's things like occasional force closes with some apps, lagging (which is probably more touchwiz because it was better with ADW), sporadic freezes, youtube buffering issues, and what Badankles mentioned, application development. Things like netflix (and yes, I did side load it), no skype video, etc.

Hmm...interesting with all you did with the tab and still encountered so many issues. i've read people are quite happy with the available ROMs with no issues you described. are you going to jailbreak the iPad or just use it as-is? if not, then why not use the tab as-is, too, as it has more capabilities. unless, of course, we are again back to the count of available honeycomb apps vs. iPad apps.

as for printing, i know about the printer apps, i was asking @ct1211 because he/she brought it up. i was just wondering if he/she tried them or not, and what makes he/she thinks that the ipad could where the tab fails.

Upvote 0
I was rereading the original post by EricatUNC. About your girlfriend showing you the ipad and you trying it and switching over.

I couldn't help but think about Adam and Eve. How Eve gave the Apple to Adam before getting banished from Eden.

Have you noticed that women love Apple products? I asked a few why they love their iphone's so much and they couldn't give me a definite answer. Maybe encoded in their genes. Lol

Upvote 0
To everyone on the print issue. Cloudshare application for aneroid looks promising. For ipad HP' canon.brother all have great airprint apps. Im still having typing issues, as you can tell from this post. Took me five minutes to type this. Tried swype, samsung stanard and swiftkey. They are all buggy. I wish they paid us as beta testers for our toys! Having the new macbook air with windows 7 bootcamp, i think im going to take a break from tab play before i get fired! That mac air is amazing btw!

Upvote 0
I have the Tab at home and my iPad2 at work. I personally think the iPad has the FAR superior typing experience. I prefer it hands down for IM chat. But I like the Tab form factor and weight and there is plenty to like about the Tab. If I was forced to have only one it would be very tough to decide, but it might come down to iPad? It is a very close horse race, at least until IOS 5 officially hits.:cool:

Upvote 0
I have the Tab at home and my iPad2 at work. I personally think the iPad has the FAR superior typing experience. I prefer it hands down for IM chat. But I like the Tab form factor and weight and there is plenty to like about the Tab. If I was forced to have only one it would be very tough to decide, but it might come down to iPad? It is a very close horse race, at least until IOS 5 officially hits.:cool:

Why not try a different keyboard? My favorite on my phone is FlexT9. Since the SGT is my wife's, I have not customized it while using it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones