• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I am disappointed

pcryan23

Lurker
Feb 14, 2012
Well, my first impressions of this phone off the bat are already not too great. I Am coming from a Galaxy Nexus pure google experience. The first thing I noticed is that you cannot change your wallpaper from the homescreen, if you hold down and try and select one from the gallery and crop it, it will not make the changes. The other thing that was A HUGE FLIPPING DISAPPOINTMENT was the fact that they removed the apps grouping feature, where you could hold down on a app, move it on top of another app, and place it into a grouped category. I was beyond disappointed when I saw that I couldn't do this with my "world class, Ice Cream Sandwich phone" Both my Asus Transformer Pad TF201 and my Galaxy Nexus both running ICS allowed me to consolidate my apps, thanks for the bloatware samsung, I would get a custom rom, but THANK YOU VERIZON, The bootloader is locked, anyone have any suggestions, I am ready to take it back.

I couldn't agree more. I'm extremely disappointed in touchwiz. The gNex is far superior in UI to this thing. Samsung shot themselves in the foot. They had a perfectly beautifully working UI and they made it ugly and less user friendly. As soon as there's a stable build of Jelly Bean for this thing, I'll be rooting.

Upvote 0
I agree 100% about Cheese Wiz. After testing more, I find Wiz to be better than previous efforts, but still intrusive compared to the stock UI. The one good thing I do like about the Wiz UI is the lack of a fixed navigation bar and this is HUGE, since can not stand fixed navigation bars taking up space on 7" or less displays. HATE IT. My View is still on GB for this reason, since the HC update put a naviagation bar and does not use the buttons ALREADY ON the device. Pure stupid.

I agree about Apex and a few others. Better options than Wiz.

Upvote 0
I like TouchWiz in it's newest form. The only real disadvantages over other UIs that I see is that you can't drag/drop to create folders (you have to manually add them through the menu panel). And HTC Sense 4.0's way of managing widgets is vastly superior to all other UIs, which is what I wish TouchWiz had.

I tried a third party launcher the day I got my S3 and found that I lost the gestures and other little features of the phone that I had looked forward to being able to use. So I went back to TouchWiz and gave it an honest shot. So far, I've not been disappointed (save for the previous two points). So, hopefully the rooting community can make stand-alone apps so that third party launchers can be used.

Upvote 0
I like TouchWiz in it's newest form. The only real disadvantages over other UIs that I see is that you can't drag/drop to create folders (you have to manually add them through the menu panel). And HTC Sense 4.0's way of managing widgets is vastly superior to all other UIs, which is what I wish TouchWiz had.

I tried a third party launcher the day I got my S3 and found that I lost the gestures and other little features of the phone that I had looked forward to being able to use. So I went back to TouchWiz and gave it an honest shot. So far, I've not been disappointed (save for the previous two points). So, hopefully the rooting community can make stand-alone apps so that third party launchers can be used.

Touchwiz is fine. So picky. Just wait it out. Nothing to be disappointed about. The phone still does what its intended to do: make calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones