1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I am getting an Atrix today, get AT&T or Bell's version?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by mpovolo, Jun 10, 2011.

1. mpovolo

mpovolo Member
    None

Nov 27, 2008
    Any advice?

thanks

Advertisement

2. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    I think the best thing to do is to look in your area and compare the coverage between At&t and Bell, see which one offers 4G in a boarder state. I can also say that At&t gets their updates faster than Bell, I read from other threads that Bell hasn't got their update of 4.1.83.....I am not sure if they got that update yet.

3. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery
    None

Jan 20, 2010
    Where the Sakura grows
    Both Bell and AT&T have the same radio frequency. So that shouldn't matter, as Bell also has AT&T '4G'.

Are you in Canada log1c? Do you think you would be likely to root your phone in the future? Bell currently has NO updates for the Attrix. AT&T already sent out 2 and a third, Gingerbread, is being tested.

Bell Atrix comes as stock as possible, i.e. not as much restriction, compared to AT&T. Tether and download from unknown sources are both available to you on the Bell model (they are taken out for AT&T).

I ask about rooting since if you are into that then the AT&T is the way to go as the Rooting community is much bigger for AT&T Atrix.

I got the Bell version because I wanted my one year warranty. I think for the AT&T one, you need to mail it to the USA Motorola for warranty claims.

So what you should consider between the two
    1)Updates - AT&T wins
    2)Bloatwares/restrictions - Bell wins
    3)Root community - AT&T wins
    4)warranty - ???

mpovolo and james27007 like this.
  4. log1c

log1c Android Enthusiast
    None

May 12, 2011
    California Love
    Roze, not sure if you mentioned me on accident, or on purpose, but I am in California, so I have At&t & my Atrix is rooted, I think you meant to ask the OP, I basically stated coverage for the OP because each area is different depending on the network, I know the frequency is the same, but wouldn't it be different depending on the satellite? unless At&t and Bell run off the same satellite and cell towers

5. MotoMoto

MotoMoto Member
    None

Jun 6, 2011
    I would get ATT.

The updates are based on what service provider the phone was made for.
    So, if you get a Bell Canada phone, and use it with ATT you will have to wait until Bell does an update.

When you register your phone with Motoblur, you will see that the service provider showing in your profile is the one that the phone was made for (the "load") and not the SIM you are using..