1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I am just about OVER this stupid phone!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by The_Chief, Jul 18, 2017.

1. The_Chief

The_Chief Accept no imitations!
    VIP Member Thread Starter

GRRRRR!

:mad::mad::mad:

Is there some kind of POC (Planned Obsolescence Code) somewhere deep in the Android operating system that can detect when a device is about to be replaced and start wreaking havoc?

My Note 5 is getting more and more stupid by the day. I've only had it a few months - so it's hard to believe that it already needs a factory reset. It's full stock. It will open apps I had no intention of opening. It will just start calling a contact. Stupid stuff. I reboot it almost every day.

THE WORST: Over the last few months, I have paired and connected it to three Bluetooth headsets from three different manufacturers. On all three, doesn't matter which, my headset will randomly go dead in the middle of a call. Huh? Did they hang up on me? Nope... the PHONE just switched the call from the headset to the earpiece, all by itself. So I have to frantically open my belt holster, pull out the phone, and try to save the call before the other party really does hang up on me.

Today, it switched itself again, mid-call, from the headset to the earpiece. I had the dogs outside, so I put it on speaker so I could hear better. Plus I had a leash in one hand and a disconnected headset in the other. While I was on the call, on speaker, the phone switched AGAIN put the call back to the earpiece! All by itself!

Is anyone else in here having these issues with their phone getting senile? I swear, it always happens just when excitement is building for the Next Big Thing (in this year's case, the Note 8). This phone is making me want to throw money at Samsung to buy a replacement.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

Leon Marco likes this.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Sounds like time to pull your old XPE out of retirement.

The_Chief likes this.
  3. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Does a Cache wipe in recovery help any?

4. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Phandroid Staff

Do you have any screen protectors or cases on your device? However unlikely, I've had crazy random problems that I've later realized were caused by some type of moisture or a bubble under the screen protector or a case that didn't fit correctly and caused inadvertent screen touches and button presses.

Phases likes this.
  5. The_Chief

Yesterday I was driving, phone paired to my vehicle. Phone rang. I answered the call with the steering wheel button. Phone answered and put the call straight to the earpiece. I was like, "Hello? Hello?" and would have assumed they hung up... except I heard a faint voice coming from my holster...

Haven't done that yet, but I'm about to. I'll let you know if it helps.

Hi :rob:!

I have a very thin silicone case, just on the back and sides. No screen protector or front casing. It fits very nicely: so I really don't think this is a hardware issue. My phone just LOVES pushing phone calls to the earpiece. Not the speaker, certainly not a Bluetooth device.

I'll keep you posted if the cache wipe helps!

6. dontpanicbobby

dontpanicbobby 100% That Guy
    VIP Member

Factory reset is our friend....

How many apps did you install in those last few months? How long have you had it?

7. The_Chief

Okay, sadly the cache wipe did not help.

@Jfalls63 I really don't want to fire up the XPE unless this phone is a complete write-off. Stupid me hasn't been updating it to match the Note 5: so I would have a LOT of work to do! Besides: the Note 8 is being announced at 10 AM Eastern August 23rd. I'm sure pre-orders will start immediately for a mid-September release. If this thing can just hang on two more months...

@dontpanicbobby Factory reset is NOT my friend... I would really rather not lose all this data. I know I have backup checked in Settings, but I have never used it for total system and app restore. My mind is still convinced that I'm going to lose a lot. And yes, I have a lot of stuff installed. And a lot of bloatware disabled.

Anyway, I'm contacting Samsung now... but I'll betcha $50 right now the first thing they will suggest is a factory reset
    :p

EDIT: I owe myself $50! I lost!

Samsung did not recommend a factory reset. They did recommend two steps to troubleshoot: resetting app preferences and safe mode. I hate the thought of resetting app preferences, because I have all my defaults just right and all the bloatware... er, featured apps, disabled. But I'll try it.

I'll let you know what happens!

#7 The_Chief, Jul 20, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2017
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  8. K Rize

K Rize Android Enthusiast

If I were you I would try re-flashing the stock firmware. I don't have a note 5 so I don't know the latest os it's running. Another option would be to root it and flash a rom like lineage os 7.1, but this is just my opinion. Hopefully you get things worked out

9. The_Chief

A lot of the issues with the Samsung Galaxy Note 5, particularly on Verizon, could have been prevented if they had waited for the final release of Android 7.0. Instead, they rushed out a preview version in order to update the phones to Nougat in a timely manner and show consumers that they're updating their phones faster.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  10. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Have you looked at the Verizon Samsung Software Update and Repair Tool?
    If all of your apps are from the Play Store, the Backup and Restore option in Repair should restore everything as you had it after it reflashes the firmware.
    If things get too aggravating, I would try it before a factory reset or Odin Flash.

The_Chief likes this.
  11. The_Chief

Thanks, Jfalls, I'll give that a shot. Yesterday I reset app preferences (didn't work) and tried Safe Mode (didn't work). That leads me to a system reflash. I'm backing up the phone now (since Sammy foolishly left off a microSD slot from the Note 5) and will contact Samsung for the latest firmware. I'll let you know how that goes.

Thank you all for the ideas and moral support!

Although, a little immoral support wouldn't hurt right now...
    :p:D

Jfalls63 likes this.
  12. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

Guessing that you don't have a Verizon branded V Model ?

13. The_Chief

I do have a Verizon branded V model. I chatted with Samsung tech support, and they are REFUSING to release the firmware.

It didn't matter that the phone is out of warranty, or that I've been modding Android devices for 8 years, or that I accepted the risks. They will not release the firmware for me to reflash. Local Verizon stores no longer do it, though I will verify that. Unless I can find the firmware out in the wild and flash it myself, then it looks like I will be dusting off the MXPE.

Jfalls63 likes this.
  14. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

15. The_Chief

Awesome, thank you! Here's another conundrum for ya...

I connected Alicia (my Note 5) to the PC and copied everything over to a backup folder. However, when I look at the Properties of the backup folder, it's 20.1GB. If I look at the Properties of the phone (which is user storage), it reads 40.9GB! I have verified that everything copied over... could I seriously have that much missing? What would not have copied over?

16. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

It would take someone way smarter than me to figure that one out. Computers hate me.

17. The_Chief

@Jfalls63 will that Verizon tool lose user data? Or does it just fix the /System partition? I'll understand if I lose system settings... but will it wipe the phone?

EDIT: By the way, guess what? Not only does Samsung refuse to provide me with the stock firmware, but Verizon won't reflash it, either! So I get to scrounge the Interwebs for the latest stock firmware and hope it's the real deal without any additional... "features"!

EDIT 2: Never mind, I DMd Verizon on Twitter and they confirmed that this procedure will clone the phone to a backup folder on the PC, reflash the firmware, reset the phone, and then copy everything back.

Good luck, Alicia!

#17 The_Chief, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  18. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

2nd edit should be how it works. Use the option to backup data, it flashes the device, then restores data. Your phone should be exactly the way it was prior, except with fresh install of the firmware.

19. The_Chief

Well, it's backing up now. I will let you know how it all turns out. Thank you, @Jfalls63, for letting me know about that upgrade assistant! I had no idea it existed, and Verizon doesn't seem to be interested in letting customers know about it!

today and Jfalls63 like this.
  20. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

I've recommend it here a few times. One of the best things Verizon has going for it is the repair tools for their major carrier branded devices.
    Don't know why they don't advertise about it.

The_Chief likes this.
  21. The_Chief

UPDATE:

RIP Alicia the Note 5.

In eight years of rooting and ROMMING, I have NEVER bricked a phone. I didn't brick this one, either. The Software Upgrade Assistant did.

It backed up all my data to the computer and then began the download and installation of the firmware. And something happened. I didn't touch a thing, but the download and install FAILED. I have a delightful teal screen with a big exclamation point stuck on the screen, with "Software Update Failed" on it. I can't turn off the phone, I can't reboot it with any combination of buttons: probably because there is nothing to boot TO. I disconnected the phone and reconnected it, and restarted the Assistant... but the USB device isn't recognized.

The Assistant DID give me a dedicated number to call, which I did. The tech support guy was fantastic... but offered no suggestions (other than removing the SIM) that I hadn't already thought of. He even called Tier 2 and explained my situation: they didn't have anything to offer.

I'm not going to buy another Note 5 to use until the Note 8 comes out, that's for sure. So I guess it's back to an extremely outdated MXPE for two months.

UPDATE to the UPDATE:

I have no idea how it happened. I had restarted the Assistant multiple times, and reconnected the phone multiple times. No change. Not recognized.

Then, in one last ditch, desperate attempt to save Alicia, I did it ONE MORE TIME. And it took! It connected! Assistant recognizes the phone and is downloading the software again! It's taking forever to download (I'm at 10% after 15 minutes on Ethernet) but at least something is happening! I know I shouldn't get my hopes up high... I've been here before... but I am hoping and praying for a digital miracle here. 11% and climbing! I'll let you know what happens!

22. Jfalls63

Jfalls63 Android Expert

You are killing me with the " cliffhangers"!
    My heart dropped when you said it killed her.
    Keeping my fingers crossed.

23. The_Chief

Oh, you're breaking my heart...
    :p

17%....

Jfalls63 likes this.
  24. The_Chief

89%!

EDIT:

100%!

OMG she's BACK! The firmware took and I'm logging in! Let's hope the restore works!

#24 The_Chief, Jul 23, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
    Jfalls63 likes this.
  25. The_Chief

It's now telling me to disconnect the phone from the computer while Google Play restores my apps! I have no idea if all the DATA is there... that's a whole other panic attack. I'm just elated Alicia is alive!

:D:D:D:D:D

Hadron likes this.

Samsung Galaxy Note 5 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy Note 5 release date was August 2015. Features and Specs include a 5.7" inch screen, 16MP camera, 4GB RAM, Exynos 7420 Octa processor, and 3000mAh battery.

August 2015
Release Date
Reviews