1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I am lazy in the morning. Alarm clock app that you can't turn off?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Darius123, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Darius123

Darius123 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Okay, this question might be a little extreme... please bear with me :rolleyes:

I'm having a hard time waking up at the time I want to on my days off from work. No matter what I tell myself, I end up clicking the snooze button. So I've been trying out alarm clock apps such as 'I can't wake up'. that force you to get out of bed and perform tasks before you can turn it off.

It was working well for a while, but the problem is... I realized that I can just power down the phone and I am home free :smokingsomb: My brain has so little impulse control in the morning, No matter how I psych myself up the night before, I end up just powering the thing down instead of getting out of bed! Does anyone know of any ways to force the phone to continue being annoying until I perform the required tasks? Or any apps that actually lock your phone in this manner? Non-phone-related suggestions welcome as well. I'm desperate, guys! :(

Advertisement

2. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Welcome Darius:)
    Wow, you must really love to sleep :D I don't blame ya!!

Off the top of my head, I can't think of any apps that prevent the phone from being powered down before the alarm is silenced.

So the alarm goes off, you get out of bed (assuming the device is a distance away) and you power it down, and crawl back into bed?

3. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)
    None

Sep 15, 2011
    Male
    monkey
    Paisley, Scotland, Western Europe
    Lol :)
    I dont think any (non-root) app will lock powering off the phone mate.
    As for non phone methods, try a wife with a loud voice. Works for me :D

4. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I use Alarm Clock Plus. You can set it so you need to do math equations to turn off the alarm. However, you won't find a single app that disables power off. Either move your phone/alarm across the room, set 2-3 alarms like I do (I turn one off but get up for the second), or, I hate to say it, develop better self control in the mornings.

EDIT: Not seen any root apps that prevent powering down, either.

funkylogik likes this.
  5. Darius123

Darius123 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Yeah, I put it across the room which I thought would keep me up, but I just plop back down into bed. Not sure if I want to go through the hassle of rooting as I am an android newb and don't want to mess the phone up. Maybe working on my self-control is the way to go. Employ my imagination, and pretend the alarm clock is a fire alarm or something. Any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

As for the wife suggestion - My girlfriend doesn't live with me, and even if she did... she is lazy on her days off too :)

I used to have a sibling that would come in my room with a pot and pan until I woke up... if only I still had something like that!

funkylogik likes this.
  6. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Not an app (as others have mentioned, no app is going to be able to prevent the phone from being turned off), but have you considered an alarm clock that requires some manner of physical activity before its alarm will be silenced?

Examples:
    - Clocky
    - Flying Alarm Clock
    - This one that you have to shoot

If you are looking for an app though, I can strongly recommend Timely. All of the modules/themes for Timely are now free, and you can easily configure it to present different types of challenges before the alarm can be silenced. And it looks fantastic.

funkylogik likes this.
  7. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I read a lot about Timely and really want to like it, but find it's just missing too many features. Where are these modules that you speak of here? I must be missing something. I see some basic themes, but nothing that would have been worth paying for and don't see any modules to add.

8. Darius123

Darius123 Lurker
    None

Jan 6, 2014
    Clocky looks cool, if a bit expensive. Maybe I'll grab it someday, if the mornings get too bad. In the meantime I guess I'll check out Timely, and work on my self-control the old-fashioned way.

9. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    ... you may be correct. It looks like it is just the themes. Still, it's very pretty :D

What features do you find it to be missing?

10. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    Educator
    Raleigh, NC
    I hate to be so blunt about it when you've so well detailed the question, but nothing beats powering off the phone :p I've never been able to find anything that prevents SystemUI from shutting down the phone (i.e. holding power and shutting it off :p )

11. lexluthor

lexluthor Android Expert
    None

May 15, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Coming from AlarmDroid, I'll miss:
    Custom alarm sound
    Ability to skip the next alarm without turning the alarm off
    Ability to not have the alarm notification in the status part until X (configurable) hours before the alarm event.

AlarmDroid is just so ugly though and hasn't been updated in months (abandon-ware?)

There really are very few config options for Timely.

codesplice likes this.
  12. codesplice

Oct 29, 2013
    Male
    SysAdmin
    Huntsville, AL
    Fair enough. It's been a while since I had used a third-party alarm app so I wasn't sure what set of features was considered "good". And I only recently revisited Timely (the whole "spam your friends to unlock themes" gimmick was a huge turn-off), and found that I do prefer it to the stock Android alarm.

Thanks for elaborating on what you find it to be lacking :)