• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I am not in contract(Tmo).If I use unlocked Vibrant

I am not in contract(Tmo).If I use unlocked Vibrant, will I be forced to charge 30/month dataplan?? If yes, unlocked phone is not meaningful...

Are you asking, if you get an unlocked Vibrant, will you be charged a data fee? UMMM YES

Why should you get free data just because your phone is unlocked or rooted? Unlocking allows you to use a different carrier on the vibrant, for example an At&t sim card.

IF you want 3G internet, you will need to pay T-Mobile for the service.

JUST TO SET THE RECORD STRAIGHT.... the 5.99 and 10 dollar T-Mobile data plans WILL NOT work on the Vibrant, regardless of it being rooted or unlocked. The most, if you are lucky, cross your fingers, and pray to god, you might get away with it for about 1 week, then you will for SURE get a notice to update your internet to the Android data plan.

By the way... an unlocked phone might not be meaningful when you are trying to swindle T-Mobile into getting free internet on your phone. However, to millions of people who travel beyond the US borders, an unlocked phone is very valuable to them. Especially when you can travel anywhere you want, pop in a new sim card, and avoid paying outrageus T-Mobile international fees. After all, this is the point of having an unlocked phone, nobody ever said the point was to get free or cheap internet.

Upvote 0
oh, I mean if I wont add the 30/mon data plan, will it automatically added ??

If you buy the phone full retail, then no you don't need to add any data plan, you can use wifi to get internet. Has nothing to do with being unlocked or rooted.

However, if you plan to qualify for a subsidy, or any rebates, then yes, T-Mobile will require a data plan or messaging plan of 14.98 or higher.

So you have several options to avoid a data plan, buy the phone on ebay, pay full retail, or get a messaging data plan of 14.98 or higher, you will still qualify for subsidy and rebates.

Upvote 0
I am not in contract(Tmo).If I use unlocked Vibrant, will I be forced to charge 30/month dataplan?? If yes, unlocked phone is not meaningful...

Straight up answer. You wont be forced into anything. You wont have data plan. will however be able to use wifi.

And data plan would be up to you, optional.

I think people misunderstood your post.

Upvote 0
oh, sorry for confuse you great guys... I brought a phone on ebay, much cheaper than retail. I dont want to use 30/mon dataplan right now because I am always at home--subway--office so the 3G service is useless.

I am not in contract so I think I can use Tmo's flexy pay(like 49.99/mon 750min for me and my girlfriend). That's much cheaper than contract prices...

Upvote 0
oh, sorry for confuse you great guys... I brought a phone on ebay, much cheaper than retail. I dont want to use 30/mon dataplan right now because I am always at home--subway--office so the 3G service is useless.

I am not in contract so I think I can use Tmo's flexy pay(like 49.99/mon 750min for me and my girlfriend). That's much cheaper than contract prices...

Whatever your sim card is provisioned for is what you will get. If you have a flex pay sim card that's minutes only, then you'll get minutes only on your Vibrant. The device doesn't really matter if you're not paying for data.

Reactions: Aiyan
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones