1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I am so confused about rooting/SU/ROMs etc

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by FlynnErik, Aug 15, 2012.

1. FlynnErik

FlynnErik Lurker

First a few things:

1. I am new to the forums, never thought I would be looking to do anything along these lines, but I now have my first tab, and am looking to get SU.

2. I am a total n00b when it comes to getting SU and mods/roms etc.

So here I am with a brand new Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 model is GT-P3113TSYXAR (it's not here yet, it will be tomorrow after work), and I want to just get SU so I can stop the bloatware from running and slowing it down.

I might want to install a JB rom down the road, but for now just SU will be fine, it's new, I don't wanna break it on day one.

How do I go about getting SU? I have seen many different CWMs, I have seen many different ways to use them, and make the changes, but none of the tutorials I have seen say how to get SU and where to stop if that is all you want.

I also can not find any youtube videos in ref to the 7.0 only the 10, and I know things can be very different between them, so I do not want to try the 10 stuff on the 7.0.

Can anyone help me here? Step by step, just to get SU, hell if you can get me a YouTube video that would be even better, I learn better by watching, but I won't be picky!

Thanks so much for help in advance!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. FlynnErik

FlynnErik Lurker

Ok the first 2 links were using Linux commands, I know so little about Linux, I can't honestly say I know anything (I know SU command lol but that's about it).

The 3rd started to make some sense, so rooting is gaining SU. You need CWM to get root, and you can use CWM to unroot. So far am I on the right track?

Then once I use CWM to root, I can flash (install same thing right?) CM10 for JB. This is correct?

How do I get a back up of my current OS in case of failure with CM10? How do I go back to stock if they release their own JB?

See all this is where I am getting confused, when I modded my Wii, I searched for a few hours, found step by step with pictures, and while I did have to try 2 different methods, they were both laid out nicely and neatly, and I could follow along. This is way different lol. There are 5 ways to do the same thing, then from there 3 more ways to do the same thing, then 10 options for roms and OS variations. It's nice to have options, but how come there aren't more YT videos for n00bs like me? lol

3. FlynnErik

FlynnErik Lurker

So, here is something that I kind of understand and can follow, however part of it has me confused.

How to upgrade the Galaxy Tab 2 7.0 to Android 4.1.1 Jelly Bean

Says that I should make a NANDroid backup, so does that mean it will be backed up to my SD card so that if it fails I have a fall back? If so, when I do a FDR, that will not touch what is on my SD card I am assuming?

If these instructions are correct, and it creates a back up then I am all good, since this is a simple set of steps without getting way to complex. If this will not give me JB, and not give me a back up then I will not attempt these steps.

**ADDED**

I read somewhere that there is now an app to update custom ROMs on their own, if this is the case, and it is true, will this work for this ROM? So that when the 2 bugs (the homescreen is always in landscape and sometimes you lose touch on the device and need to reboot) are corrected, it will update on its own so I do not need to download and apply a new ROM on my own?

4. BlackGravity

BlackGravity Android Enthusiast

5. FlynnErik

FlynnErik Lurker

How bad is it that I am doing a backup AFTER I rooted? Am I screwed now? :(

Thank you for the link but now I am really concerned that I farked (keeping it clean) myself big time should something go wrong down the road (or I update the OS OTA and break my stuff?)

6. BlackGravity

BlackGravity Android Enthusiast

thats what you want to do.. make a back up right off the bat... i wouldnt do any factory updates if i were you.. i'd install a custom ROM,CM9 and CM10 works great for these tab's.. makes them a lot smoother and faster.

BTW these are really hard to brick.. so dont worry.

7. Thechidz

Thechidz Well-Known Member

hi guys, does the one-touch automatic root software work? also is there any way to root using a mac?

Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews