• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I AM SO LOST!!!! please help :)

Ghost_usmc

Lurker
Sep 21, 2010
Ok let me start by saying I am a ****** when it comes to computers. I have a droid X I just got not very long ago at all and a friend told me how to use the rooted version to play xbox live and things like MW2 online using the tether...so I think I rooted my phone it says it is.

I used androot and it seems to have rooted my phone however it does not ask me permission(yet i literally just downloaded it) now my question is this:
I have downloaded wireless tether for root users version 2.0.1(I am running 2.1 update1) I am not sure if that was the correct version...but I am online so I assume so.

How do I open the NAT settings on the wifi however? that is the whole point of me doing this charade and I cannot figure it out. I try to play MW2 online and it says they are strict. Can someone please help me in simpleton terms lol.

Yes it opened fine all I had to do was reinstall it in order for it to really root my phone despite it said it already was.

Any idea on how to get the wifi to relax? A friend of mine does it so I know it works if needed I will ask him in the morning I just want to prove I am not a jarhead lol.
i would LOVE to know if i could use my wifi teather to play xbox live my modem has been having problems with xbox lice and havent been able to play witch is sad because im the co-owner of legendgamerz.com and its hard to not get on live and run a gaming website... also i unlocked recon for halo 3 but i cant use it unless i conect to xbox live.... if you could tell me if this really truly works i would appreciate it. check us out at my site. im LG DaRkfReAk thats my Gamertag as well as my username on Legendgamerz.com. also i would be happy to pull some fingers to get you into a modded lobby for free if you get this to work for me.

Upvote 0
i would LOVE to know if i could use my wifi teather to play xbox live my modem has been having problems with xbox lice and havent been able to play witch is sad because im the co-owner of legendgamerz.com and its hard to not get on live and run a gaming website... also i unlocked recon for halo 3 but i cant use it unless i conect to xbox live.... if you could tell me if this really truly works i would appreciate it. check us out at my site. im LG DaRkfReAk thats my Gamertag as well as my username on Legendgamerz.com. also i would be happy to pull some fingers to get you into a modded lobby for free if you get this to work for me.

I have read somewhere along the line that playing ps3/xbox uses an outrageous amount of data and that verizon might see that and know that something is going on... Aka your free tethering.. Maybe someone else can elaborate better.

Upvote 0
Considering that 3G speeds are equivalent (at best) to about 1900 Kbps, that's Kb not KB as they are different measurements. Trying to put through an active gaming session is going to be difficult as your ping is going to jump all over the place being on a wireless connection, esp. one that can vary as much as 3G can depending on the network's usage. I would expect that even if you can get it to connect to Live, you're likely going to drop and/or experience periods of intense lag. The amount of data required to maintain an online FPS gaming experience is a large amount, not huge, but large enough that it will (a) have difficulty trying to maintain a decent connection with the 3G and/or (b) is going to raise a red flag if Verizon suddenly notices a huge spike with one person's data consumption for extended periods of time. The reason that this isn't as noticeable when surfing the web, even when downloading videos, is that it's chunk'd data. So, instead of a constant stream of data hitting the network that you would have with gaming, you'll have chunks and jumps of data consumption over time. And while that works well for internet browsing, it doesn't work well when you're trying to frag, because while a couple lost packets when receiving a video for playback doesn't make a huge difference, it does when it comes to gaming as you're suddenly across the map and you didn't even know you traveled that far. I would recommend that even if you do get it to be able to connect to Live, that you don't use it hardcore as it's probably going to cause some flags to be raised and if for some reason they looked into what you were doing, you could end up in a pot of hot water.

Upvote 0
I've used my 3g modem from Verizon for over two years now and I play on xbox live with it. I have a cellular router that I plug my usb data modem in so that I actually use it for my entire home network (it's the only type of internet I can get at my location).

I haven't noticed an issue with the amount of data (game and voice work fine), but the ping time can be a real downer. It depends on the game, some games are mostly fine with the higher ping time that 3g has, and some are virtually unplayable.

Upvote 0
I have read somewhere along the line that playing ps3/xbox uses an outrageous amount of data and that verizon might see that and know that something is going on... Aka your free tethering.. Maybe someone else can elaborate better.

i accually thought this too but someone did a test and xbox live only uses about 25mb per hour to play. the ping is the biggest issue with playing on verizons 3g. just thank god you arent on ATT with there 400-1000 pings

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones