• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I am still scared!!!

I f#@$ing got but now i am in hboot it says s-off do i unplug the usb and reboot?
it says joupoumt bear 1.57

If you can get into your bootloader, it shows jupounutbear as the bootloader, and says S-OFF, you are golden. As long as you can get into your recovery, there is likely nothing to worry about anymore.

You can flash any ROM you want through recovery, or even restore a backup...just make sure that backup has Superuser on it.

Is there any type of boot loop that can't be fixed if you can access the bootloader and recovery? If it's stable in the bootloader and recovery, I can't see anything that would prevent you from getting your phone to boot up. You may just have to flash another ROM. I suggest Mobster HD.

Upvote 0
If you can get into your bootloader, it shows jupounutbear as the bootloader, and says S-OFF, you are golden. As long as you can get into your recovery, there is likely nothing to worry about anymore.

You can flash any ROM you want through recovery, or even restore a backup...just make sure that backup has Superuser on it.

Is there any type of boot loop that can't be fixed if you can access the bootloader and recovery? If it's stable in the bootloader and recovery, I can't see anything that would prevent you from getting your phone to boot up. You may just have to flash another ROM. I suggest Mobster HD.

I just did fix everything, i am now on hboot 1.04 and i just installed midnight rom j. it is taking a very long time to load/boot, i am not getting bootloops. But its just seating at the beats logo.

Upvote 0
I *just* now got my phone S-OFF'd. I was one of those that was scared to do it as well. I kept putting it off and drooling over some of the ROMs posted here only to read that a different HBOOT was required. Now, a whole new world has opened up to me.

The only thing I have to say about it really is to pay attention to the tips on the timing in this thread. I started with a paper clip wrapped in electrical tape. I guess it was too thick because I couldn't get it to take even after an hour of trying. Then, I used a piece of ethernet wire and it took me 2 tries to get S-OFF.

Once you do it, you'll be like "Pfft, that's all it was?"

FWIW, I did it on an XP machine with zero issues. I did it at work and most of what we have is Win7 64-bit machines, which is why I used XP.

Being able to run JB ROMS now makes it so worth it.

Upvote 0
I *just* now got my phone S-OFF'd. I was one of those that was scared to do it as well. I kept putting it off and drooling over some of the ROMs posted here only to read that a different HBOOT was required. Now, a whole new world has opened up to me.

The only thing I have to say about it really is to pay attention to the tips on the timing in this thread. I started with a paper clip wrapped in electrical tape. I guess it was too thick because I couldn't get it to take even after an hour of trying. Then, I used a piece of ethernet wire and it took me 2 tries to get S-OFF.

Once you do it, you'll be like "Pfft, that's all it was?"

FWIW, I did it on an XP machine with zero issues. I did it at work and most of what we have is Win7 64-bit machines, which is why I used XP.

Being able to run JB ROMS now makes it so worth it.

Did mine with Win7 64bit. Worked fine.:D

Upvote 0
Many others have accomplished it without following the instructions , the problem is just that, when you run into problems and you've decided that your way is better than the app developers, it makes for a very difficult time trying to get official support. I personally can boot Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, XP Pro 32 bit and Ubuntu on the same machine . Even if this wasn't available I personally would use a Linux live cd instead of chancing my luck by trying to out guess the talented developers. Just take a moment to figure out exactly what's happening on the software level with jbear, and on the hardware level. with the wire trick. The devs that figured this out are much more talented than I am by a mile, so I will religiously defer to their judgment and advise others to do the same. :D
OB

Upvote 0
Many others have accomplished it without following the instructions , the problem is just that, when you run into problems and you've decided that your way is better than the app developers, it makes for a very difficult time trying to get official support. I personally can boot Win 7 Ultimate 64 bit, XP Pro 32 bit and Ubuntu on the same machine . Even if this wasn't available I personally would use a Linux live cd instead of chancing my luck by trying to out guess the talented developers. Just take a moment to figure out exactly what's happening on the software level with jbear, and on the hardware level. with the wire trick. The devs that figured this out are much more talented than I am by a mile, so I will religiously defer to their judgment and advise others to do the same. :D
OB

I just used Win7 64bit because I had no choice.NOT because, I think, I no better. Everything else,I followed the DEV'S instructions to the letter.

Upvote 0
I just used Win7 64bit because I had no choice.NOT because, I think, I no better. Everything else,I followed the DEV'S instructions to the letter.

There is always a choice. If your PC lacks a DVD burner, then you can go to WalMart and grab one (24/7). Grab some blank DVDs while there, and burn Ubuntu to LiveCD.

I did it...even though I knew it would probably run fine on XP. I didn't want to chance it, and one thing I've learned through my whole rooting process, if you don't follow the directions to the letter, then you are creating variables in the process.

As an example, I decided NOT to flash the ODEX ROM in the newbie guide...what that meant for me (and I didn't realize it) was that I wouldn't have superuser rights. The guide wasn't spelled out 100% about this at the time, so it took me about another half hour to figure out I needed to flash the superuser zip if I decided not to flash the ODEX JMZ ROM with SU built in.

It's the little things like this where if you deviate from the original instructions that you can be left scratching your head wondering what went wrong.

So if there is any possible way that you can perform these operations via the standard supported method, I'd strongly suggest that you do it that way. I also found it refreshing the Ubuntu didn't need any extra drivers. It just WORKED :D

Reactions: OverByter
Upvote 0
At first I was scared about trying the S-off as well. But having to use sense based ROMs helped to get over my fear of it pretty quickly.

I was blown away by how easy it was to do. I watched a YouTube video on it, and just went for it. I achieved successfully S-off first try. I didn't even use a wire. I used one of those twist tie things from a loaf of bread.

Just go for it. It's easy. And once you're s-off it opens up a whole new word of possibilities on your phone. Totally worth it!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones