• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I brick my phone... I think so

maayanay

Oct 15, 2010
my phone is roote android HTC desire.

after one month of using it start rebooting. after few checking i found out that it only happens when GPRS is on and i surf the internet (or download mails or anything related to internet).
i tried upgrade to froyo, the update works but the problem still exist.

than i tried to install stock RUU android 2.1 (my plan was to send it back for warranty) these are the steps:

I download and run this file while my HTC is connected - RUU_Bravo_hTC_Asia_WWE_1.19.707.6_Radio_32.36.00.28U_4.06.00.02_2_rel_124362.exe
(yes my HTC is from ASIA)

while the installation is in progress and everything looks ok, i see the progress bar loading, and it says copy something, and flash the Radio and i think at the same time it wrriten "flash the radio" i got error from the update software the disconnection occur and damaged important files.

since this moment my phone cannot be turned on!!! really nothing.. no lights no screen light change, no vibrate, dead.
i tried changing battery, SIM, SD, nothing helped.

the only thing i found is when i take out the battery and connect the USB i see the notification LED blinking with orange and than green and keeps like this all the time but the phone is not turned on.

how can this happen? how can a phone be unrepairable? it is all software.... I didn't threw it on the floor.

GOOD NEWS!!!
SOLVED!

after connecting the dead phone (as i thought is dead) to the PC i realized that the PC recognize the phone.
than i ran the latest RUU FROYO from HTC:
RUU_Bravo_Froyo_hTC_Asia_WWE_2.13.707.1_Radio_32.44.00.32U_5.09.05.30_2_release_143921_signed.exe

and than it installed and everything is working.

i guess the problem was that i installed a version that didn't support my SLCD screen, I read it somewhere...

Upvote 0
actually it make sense.

even is everything (software speaking) is ****ed up. as long as you can get power and connect it to the PC, the right installation file should fix everything even bad radio.

no?

No. Apparently what you had was not a case of a bad Radio, but most probably an SLCD soft brick. If you find the right RUU, you can solve it, as you did. But you're very, very lucky to find one compatible with yours.

And as far as warranty goes, I have to beg to differ. I dont know about other countries, but in Asia, HTC cannot wash its hands off a bricked phone just because someone flashed the wrong software including Radio. Its a legal thing. They forgot to include the terms which express a voiding of warranty by flashing.

My device is with HTC, pending replacement for a softbrick.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones