• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I can download apps but not install them even though my SD card says it has 27 gigs available.

pieeye

Lurker
Feb 22, 2016
Galaxy S4
Android version 4.4.2
Device storage 16gb
SD storage 32gb

I can download apps but not install them even though my SD card says it has 27 gigs available. I've tried formatting the sd card but no help. When I try to install an app it says I don't have enough storage space.Insufficient storage this device doesn't have enough space to download this app.

You're gonna have to free up some internal storage.
External SD Cards only store a portion of the apps total storage (some phones,maybe this one as well,have no external app storage option),the rest & bigger chunk typically remains on internal storage.
I'd move my pics/music to the external SD Card,see if that frees up enough for ya.............

Upvote 0
Yes, the key question is how much internal space do you have. Android needs to keep some free storage as working space for caches etc, and if installing an app would bring you below that the app won't install. I believe Samsung set this minimum rather high at 500 MB, so if your internal storage is approaching that (or if it's a large app) then that's your problem. The removable card is not used as working storage by the OS so it doesn't matter how much space there is on that, it's the internal storage that is relevant.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones