• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I can root 2.1 OTA right? RIGHT?

ThorSkaagi

Mar 30, 2010
Denver, CO
I realize I'm beating a dead horse here, but I am really confused. I've went to the root forums or the Eris, but I can't find a definitive answer. All I want to do is simply root my Eris with OTA 2.1. Can anyone help me out possibly? Links? Do I have to roll back to 1.5?

Please help!

EDIT: Now I realize why it didn't work... my replacement Eris I got today is apparently a v3 leak. HBOOT 1.49.0000. That pisses me off.

i think i heard that Verizon is just using 1.49 now to prevent rooting... (anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)
That's incredibly smart of them, should that be the case.

I know it sounds dumb, but the ONLY reason I wanted to root in the first place was so I could have the white notification bar like stock Android OS's. I hate the black one so much!

Upvote 0
so you can root on 2.1 ota? or no?

If the phone is more than a month old or so, and the only software upgrades that have taken place over its life have been OTA updates, then YES.

And the same methods for rooting that worked with 1.5 work in exactly the same way for these OTA-2.1 phones.

Note that the OP did not have an OTA-2.1 phone; he had one that recently came from the "factory".

Upvote 0
yea thats what i did. so i can?

Yep. If you were 1.5 and accepted the OTA, your HBOOT bootloader should still accept root. Following the http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-eris/53963-guide-stock-1-5-latest-root-2-1-a.html also works for 2.1 OTA receivers just like it did for original 1.5-ers (like me :)).

Also, if you are going to take this journey, make sure you read through the posts and processes very carefully and that follow the instructions very carefully, especially making sure to check that the ROMs that you are downloading and installing are the correct ones (i.e., check the MD5 sums very carefully as erisuser1 strongly suggests :D)--because you don't want to end-up accidentally installing a leak ROM.

erisuser1 has also posted many replies to folks going through the root process. His posts are an excellent source of information and walkthroughs for going through this (wish I had seen them when I was rooting ;)).

Good luck!

Upvote 0
however... it might not necessarily be a v3 leak... i think i heard that Verizon is just using 1.49 now to prevent rooting... (anyone feel free to correct me if i'm wrong)

To be honest, I don't think that's the reason. I just think that they want to sell it with 2.1 pre-installed, rather than have the user go through OTA, and the image that they use to preinstall 2.1 includes the new bootloader.

Upvote 0
I think the OTA doesn't mess with the bootloader because if it did and the bootloader got messed up, you'd have no way back to unbrick the phone.

So really if the phone got a bad OTA update you'd still be able to go into HBOOT and reflash an image file from the SD card. Not that Joe-Salesrep at the VZW store would know how to do this, but you never know.

The new phones are probably flashed with an app that puts a fresh HBOOT on them. Probably no more dangerous than using the original image from the factory.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones