1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I can't block the Gingerbread Updater Pop-Up!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by beaker7, Aug 12, 2011.

1. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    So, I keep getting the dreaded "Install Update" saying that 4.5.596.en.US has been downloaded and is ready to install. I have done the research and from what everyone else is saying, you have to go in and change the file "upgrader.apx" to "upgrader.bak" and that will fix the problem. So, I bought Root Explorer to access the file. Was able to find it, and "successfully" rename it. (SO it said.) The file seemed to be fixed. Later in the day, I get the pop up again. Go back into root explorer, and low and behold, the file has reverted back to .apx from .bak. And yes, I mounted as R/W. I can't figure out what is going on, but I do NOT want to update to Gingerbread! Any help out there??? Thanks!!

Droid X, by the way

Advertisement

2. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    By the way, my apologies if there IS a good thread out there for this. I have searched and searched, and like I said, everything I found told me to do what I tried, and it's NOT working for me. Phone is rooted, if that wasn't obvious from my original comments. Also, if anyone out there can tell me that Gingerbread CAN easily be rooted and I can use my wireless tether/z4 root set up (which is why I don't want to update) then I'll gladly take the update. I have just heard that GB kills your Wireless Tethering capabilities.

3. colchiro

colchiro Android Expert
    None

Jun 4, 2010
    Male
    Web developer/IT
    Ginger bread cannot be rooted at this time. Did you reboot after the rename?

4. Wally World

Wally World Android Expert
    None

Dec 28, 2010
    Delete BlurUpdater.APK and BlurUpdater.Odex

beaker7 likes this.
  5. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Rebooted, all seemed well, then after a while I'd get the pop up again. Would choose "install later" and was back to the drawing board researching... And the file would have reverted back to.apk.

6. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    DONE... I'll check back in tomorrow AM and report back if that worked; thank you both for commenting!

7. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    So far, so good. This seems to have fixed it, finally. Thank you!

8. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    You can also check by going to settings about phone system updates and it should kick you right back to settings menu.

9. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    Nice!!! Perfect, it did just that. Thank you so much! So will this only disable system updates? Or what else will deleting those blur files do?

10. Wally World

None

Dec 28, 2010
    Only disables the update. Nothing else.

11. beaker7

beaker7 Lurker
    None

Mar 3, 2011
    After one week, the pop ups are gone, this has definitely fixed THAT problem. However, now my phone is randomly restarting, and I can't pin down an issue. The only other things I have changed recently are that I've switched to Touchdown for my server e-mail and also GoSMS Pro for my texts. Are either of these programs known to cause any conflict, thus random restarts? I thought it was something to do with the USB port at first upon plugging in, but yesterday I had a random restart walking down my hallway at home.

If there is already a good post about this topic, please redirect me - I didn't really find one that helped me out. Thanks!