• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root I cant dial 911...!!!

How can you test it without hanging up on 911, since that is illegal and the cops will show up?
Hmmmm, I have had to dial 911 with custom ROMs but not often at all (Yes I call on drunk drivers)
I wonder if this is a fluke or something not tested and overlooked.

We have people at work that mis dial 911 all the time (we have to dial 9 to get an outside line and if you are dialing long distance and double press the one it happens)... We have always been advised that if you do miss dial 911 that you don't hang up and simply tell them that you are sorry it was a mis dial... The cops will only show up if it is a hang up call...

Perhaps test it that way?

Upvote 0
We have people at work that mis dial 911 all the time (we have to dial 9 to get an outside line and if you are dialing long distance and double press the one it happens)... We have always been advised that if you do miss dial 911 that you don't hang up and simply tell them that you are sorry it was a mis dial... The cops will only show up if it is a hang up call...

Perhaps test it that way?

We changed our system so you have to dial 8 first.

Upvote 0
In order to dial 911 from a company or building or whatever that requires you to dial 9 before reaching an outside line, wouldn't it be 9, 9-1-1? If you just dial 911, it would read it as 9, (outside line) 1-1. So not sure how people are 'accidentally' dialing 911 without hitting 9 twice, then 1 twice. Anyways, 911 works for me. Tested (I work for the police, so I just called dispatch and let them know what I was doing) and connected running NexBeast FRF57.

Upvote 0
In order to dial 911 from a company or building or whatever that requires you to dial 9 before reaching an outside line, wouldn't it be 9, 9-1-1? If you just dial 911, it would read it as 9, (outside line) 1-1. So not sure how people are 'accidentally' dialing 911 without hitting 9 twice, then 1 twice. Anyways, 911 works for me. Tested (I work for the police, so I just called dispatch and let them know what I was doing) and connected running NexBeast FRF57.

No...dialing 9-1-1 HAS TO dial the emergency line. I believe there is a law (but I couldn't site it for you...just what I have heard) dictates that to all phone manufacturers that 9-1-1 dialed from ANY phone (regular phone line, VOIP, Cellular, whether hooked to a larger phone system or not). Cellular phones with no service, bad ESNs...all will make emergency calls. I know that my phone system at work will call 9-1-1 if you dial that exactly (you have to dial 9 to get an outside line as well).

And you don't even have to hang up once they answer. I hung up before I ever heard it dial realizing what I had just done...5 minutes later...5.0 @ the door! :eek:

Upvote 0
No...dialing 9-1-1 HAS TO dial the emergency line. I believe there is a law (but I couldn't site it for you...just what I have heard) dictates that to all phone manufacturers that 9-1-1 dialed from ANY phone (regular phone line, VOIP, Cellular, whether hooked to a larger phone system or not). Cellular phones with no service, bad ESNs...all will make emergency calls. I know that my phone system at work will call 9-1-1 if you dial that exactly (you have to dial 9 to get an outside line as well).

And you don't even have to hang up once they answer. I hung up before I ever heard it dial realizing what I had just done...5 minutes later...5.0 @ the door! :eek:

Lol, no. Dialing 911 does not HAVE TO dial the emergency line when calling from a building requiring you to dial a number to access an outside line. It is not a law. Everywhere I have worked that necessitated one to dial 9 to reach an outside line, you must dial 9-9-1-1 to reach emergency services. I know this because I would mess with people constantly when asked what a certain extension for someone was. My reply was always, "Ninety nine eleven." Hilarity ensued....until one too many police visits.

Upvote 0
Well I forgot about this thread until now. I'm gone for 6 days without a computer now. I just tried calling to update my roaming (*228) and it went to voicemail. I tried dialing some other numbers, landline and cell, but everything goes to voicemail. Only dialing from my contacts works correctly.

I'm on NexBeast 2.1 or something like that.
I really, really need help with this! And it needs to happen over the air....

Thank you!!!

Upvote 0
Well I forgot about this thread until now. I'm gone for 6 days without a computer now. I just tried calling to update my roaming (*228) and it went to voicemail. I tried dialing some other numbers, landline and cell, but everything goes to voicemail. Only dialing from my contacts works correctly.

I'm on NexBeast 2.1 or something like that.
I really, really need help with this! And it needs to happen over the air....

Thank you!!!

Are you sure it's the ROM and not a baseband update? I did the latest baseband update and it screwed up my phone so my internal MIN, MDN and CDMA Sys ID were all whacked out and inproper.

I thought I knew them but confirmed on my wife's phone and for me at least the MIN and MDN were my cell number. Once I placed those back I could call out again but this of course was for ALL calls, not just 911.

I had to, from the dialer, dial ##7764726 (##PROGRAM) and then enter 000000 for the password. Once there I used #1 User Activation to check the values and change them if needed.

I'm not sure of your problem and this was mine so maybe it is yours as well.

Upvote 0
How do I do the baseband?

http://androidoverdrive.com/pete/FRF57/Baseband/C_01.43.01P.zip

Rename to update.zip then install it like any other update.

After installing any baseband update your phone will require a reactivation. I'm not sure if it is forced upon you or if you have to do it on your own. If you have to do it on your own, its *228, Option 1.

Hope this helps!

P.S. You can check your version number before the flash and afterwards by going to:
Settings > About Phone > Baseband Version

P.S.S. I just saw that you're only running Android 2.1. I'm not sure how well the link above will work with 2.1. I think the 'official' baseband for 2.1 is C_01.3E.03P. You might want to check before you do any flashing.

Upvote 0
If you do want to try and flash that baseband file, then you'll want to download the file to your phone (downloads folder on your sdcard), long press on the file and select edit. Rename to update.zip. Long press again and edit. MOVE the file to the sdcard folder. Restart your phone and boot into recovery (Holding X on the keypad while booting). DO A SYSTEM BACKUP. Then install the update file. I think that covers it. Anybody else want to chime in in case I'm forgetting anything?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones