• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I can't download Jelly Bean

Hey, so I have a Samsung Galaxy S3 on At&t and I'm looking to upgrade it to Jelly Bean. As far as I know, the only way to do that is through Kies on the computer. I've read that that a box will open up letting you know that you can update and from there on you just accept and update it. So I downloaded Kies, plugged in my phone and nothing happened. I'm not really sure what to do beyond that. I don't want to root my phone or anything like that. What do I need to do in order to get the Jelly Bean update?

Thank you and happy holidays!

O.K. Here's how it's done. First plug your phone into the computer using the power cord that came with the phone. Open phone and go to settings>developer options>check box that says USB debugging. Your phone should be detected by Kies, and it should tell you that you can upgrade to 4.1.1. Click on the upgrade, and let the phone do the rest. Do not unplug phone from computer until Kies tells you to do so. Enjoy.

P.S. If Kies doesn't recognize your phone, delete Kies, and then reinstall.

Upvote 0
Also, I'm pretty sure kies does recognize my phone. it shows my phone number and my internal memory but it doesn't say what my current firmware version is. I don't know if that's significant or not.

I had the same exact problem when I tried to load kies. It seemed to be fine; I actually backed up my contacts using it just to try it; but it wouldn't show any info about the firmware version or any option to upgrade.

It also made "Android File Transfer" not work anymore. as a result, I uninstalled it and didn't try anymore as I decided to stay on ICS. Too much risk and time getting JB with very little gain for my needs.

However, if you really want to stick with it. I would keep uninstalling and reinstalling. My guess is one of the reinstalls will allow you to do it.

Mike

Upvote 0
I had the same exact problem when I tried to load kies. It seemed to be fine; I actually backed up my contacts using it just to try it; but it wouldn't show any info about the firmware version or any option to upgrade.

It also made "Android File Transfer" not work anymore. as a result, I uninstalled it and didn't try anymore as I decided to stay on ICS. Too much risk and time getting JB with very little gain for my needs.

However, if you really want to stick with it. I would keep uninstalling and reinstalling. My guess is one of the reinstalls will allow you to do it.

Mike

+1. Uninstall, and reinstall is the best way.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling it about 5 times and nothing changes each time.

When I go to tools and select the firmware upgrade and installation, i enter sgh-i747 in the model number, kies freezes and i have to shut it down.

I have windows 8 on my machine, is it possible that's making a different?

Thanks for all the help so far guys

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones