1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General I can't even remember life before "double tap"

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by strodda, Jan 25, 2014.

1. strodda

strodda Android Enthusiast
    None

May 11, 2011
    Male
    First, I love the feature and it works almost flawlessly, which Im definitely satisfied with. Funny thing, I tap everything now, its become a problem. We might need to start a Double Tappers Anonymous. I was hanging out with a friend who is and always has been an Apple guy. I picked up his iPad mini and double tapped the screen... he replied "that's not your Android". I laughed.

Have any of you guys ever been caught double-tapping?

Advertisement

kcerica likes this.
  2. DragonSlayer95

DragonSlayer95 Resident Air Bender
    None

Mar 9, 2012
    Male
    Reno, Nevada
    :rofl:

I loved this feature at first, but I don't even use it anymore. Every now and then I'll double tap to turn on if my phone is laying down otherwise I'll just use the power button if I'm already holding it :)

Nice feature though.

3. KOLIO

KOLIO Guest
    None
    I catch myself double-tapping my MOTO G all the time.

This feature is a prime example of mfg U/I's not being all evil.

This & the on-screen button options actually enhance the stock ANDROID experience, IMHO. At least w/this U/I, you can disable what you don't like & keep the rest, especially the double-tap feature.

Same w/the volume & power buttons on the back, I find myself looking for them on the MOTO G as well.......

4. NCHornet

NCHornet Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    It is more like a triple tap, or quadruple tap, at least with my phone it is. Just another one of those features that was brought out before it was perfected. For me, I will be old fashioned and use the power button, YMMV?

5. powell

powell Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 14, 2009
    Programmer
    PL
    I love double tap too.
    And today, with temp. -15oC outside, I also value the ability to start the camera app with long pressing the Volume Down key. And then, taking pictures by pressing the Vol Down :)

6. Stannis the Mannis

Stannis the Mannis Rapscallion
    None

Feb 16, 2013
    Male
    Australia
    Yep it's fantastic lol.

7. jwbwd2

jwbwd2 Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 5, 2013
    Male
    Chemist
    I definitely love the double tap and it still works flawless after 2 months of extremely heavy use (I'm talking I used 8.57 GB last month of apps, games...etc). I hardly use the power button at all. I have also tried to double tap other phones...lol. I just hate picking up a phone and searching for the stupid button...Is it on the top? Left side? right side? I don't even know anymore!

Powell I also have utilized the quick camera start feature. Comes in handy for just snapping that quick shot. I have even utilized the quick start for memo. I use it for shopping lists and the like so it comes in handy when that is all I need.

8. BroadwayBlueshir

None

Dec 28, 2013
    Male
    Fife, Scotland
    The DT on my phone seems to be getting less co-operative. In the beginning, light taps were all that were required but after a month now of light use, it`s getting harder and harder to open the phone this way.

9. UserName872

UserName872 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 4, 2009
    Network Administrator
    Philadelphia, PA
    I constantly find myself double-tapping my Nexus 7 now and my wife's iPad. I honestly figured I'd disable the feature as I wouldn't care for it but after using a couple days I'm sold.

10. strodda

None

May 11, 2011
    Male
    Likewise. I didnt care either way about the DT feature when I bought the phone. I just used the ability because it was there. Now, I cant imagine this phone without it. Not that I've considered, but I don't think I'd be able to switch to another phone if it didnt have a doubletap like feature.

What would be even easier is to be able to have the motion and light sensors on all the time without draining the battery. Then the phone can automatically turn on when you pick it up, no need for a button or double tap, yet not turn on in your pocket because the light sensor will register darkness and know to stay off.

11. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    I think there are some apps in the PlayStore that might try to do same... You could try them.

12. Lightninrod

Lightninrod Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Male
    Retired stock broker
    Warner Robins, GA
    The app Gravity Screen does this almost perfectly on my G2. No need to DT or use the power button.

strodda likes this.
  13. kcerica

kcerica Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    I love double tap. I always try to tap on my tablet too. It's funny when people look at you like you're crazy when you start tapping on your phone!

14. kcerica

kcerica Member
    None

Dec 20, 2010
    I hope this doesn't happen to my phone. Sometimes it seems like DT is the only thing on my phone that actually works the way it should!

I didn't think I'd care about double tap at first but now I think it was one of the best inventions on a smart phone. When people brag about their fingerprint scanner, I'm like screw that, my phone has something that's actually useful lol

15. strodda

None

May 11, 2011
    Male
    Thanks, I'll be giving it a shot right now.

16. stef7

stef7 Android Expert
    None

Dec 29, 2010
    Male
    Systems Engineer
    I'm wondering when someone is going to write a double tap wake-up utility I can install on my hp touchpads running CM...

17. BroadwayBlueshir

None

Dec 28, 2013
    Male
    Fife, Scotland
    I`ve just installed this now.
    I`ll let you all know how it goes.

18. daposaspo

daposaspo Member
    None

Oct 28, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Seattle
    Thought double tap was a silly feature when I first bought my phone, but now I can't live without i t. Unlike some who have reported trouble my double tap is working just fine.

19. jhcii

jhcii Well-Known Member
    None

May 3, 2011
    Working my butt off
    Middle Georgia USA
    My double tap works just fine as well ( I have the Verizon model ). If you double tap about two inches down from the top in the center of the screen it should work just fine every time. I've heard from others that you need to make sure your finger nail hits the screen as well, but that has never been a problem with mine, I've done hard taps, medium taps and soft taps on the screen and all work just as well as any other. My only problem comes when I double tap to turn it off and I tap on the screen while a app is running ( you have to tap in an unused area of the screen or tap on the status bar ) but that's my fault not the phones. Overall one of the more useful features of the phone, and yes I do find myself double tapping other things ( wife's kindle, my tablet, other phones, etc... ) to try to turn them on occasionally... LOL

20. Lightninrod

Lightninrod Well-Known Member
    None

Dec 7, 2009
    Male
    Retired stock broker
    Warner Robins, GA
    Gravity Screen makes No Tap better than Double Tap. 😊

21. strodda

None

May 11, 2011
    Male
    I never ended up trying out gravity screen, but I did flash 4.4.2 MahdiROM and it has the same feature built-in. Works great too. Im also monitoring with SystemPanel right now to see if theres a battery drain when having it enabled. So far today, nothing noticeable.

22. BroadwayBlueshir

None

Dec 28, 2013
    Male
    Fife, Scotland
    Used this for 2 weeks and uninstalled it.
    Recalibrated the tap feature and my dounle tap works fine again. A light touch is enough again.

23. bberryhill0

bberryhill0 Android Expert
    None

How?

24. BroadwayBlueshir

None

Dec 28, 2013
    Male
    Fife, Scotland
    Go to 'settings' then 'general' then 'gestures' then right at the bottom you see 'motion sensor calibration'

25. omiller315

omiller315 Well-Known Member
    None

May 16, 2012
    I can say that Double Tap is even more improved on Kit Kat. Only had minimal issues before, but now it is flawless. Before it seems like I had to have my phone in hand. Now it works ALL the time.

LG G2

The LG G2 has a 5.2-inch display with 1080p resolution. It also has a Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 processor, 2GB of RAM, a 13 megapixel camera, NFC, and more.
Tags: