1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I can't find my word processing & spreadsheet files

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Luke Drillbrain, May 8, 2014.

1. Luke Drillbrain

I'm new to Android use. I just got a Moto G. One of the reasons was I miss the days when I could carry around my Word and Excel files on my Palm Tungsten E2. I use LibreOffice and [name of company in Germany] Office on my Kubuntu Linux laptop. Both of these suites are capable of saving documents and spreadsheets to Word and Excel formats.

So the goal is to port around my documents and spreadsheets on my phone. I can't do them as LibreOffice files yet because LibreOffice/Android is not available yet. So I got [company in Germany] Office for Android.

In [company in Germany word processing] for Android, I created a test document and saved it as Microsoft Word file. I created another and saved it as a ********* document. I then made a test spreadsheet in ********* PlanMaker and saved it as an Excel file.

The goal was to locate where SM Office saves files by default and then copy from my laptop over to that directory all the time. So I hooked up the laptop to the phone and it showed up. However, I dug through all the files on the phone and could not find the documents or the spreadsheet. I found a bunch of folders. I found these:

Ringtones
    Podcasts
    Pictures
    Notifications
    Music
    Movies
    Download
    dict
    DCIM
    AnkiDroid
    Android
    Alarms
    AI Factory Stats

And there were subfolders under those. I looked and looked in all of them but could not find the files. Back in the phone, I opened SM ********* and found both word processing files. In SM PlanMaker I found the spreadsheet.

What gives? This is one of the most important reasons I've gotten a smartphone. I want to copy some important documents and spreadsheets over from my laptop, but I don't know where to put them. How do I do this?

The other weird thing that happened was one one of my two Kubuntu laptops reads my phone. It reads on my clunky little netbook, but not on my big laptop. I'm addressing the issue on a Linux forum, but if anyone here has an idea, I'm all ears.

----------

Edit: For some reason this board filters out the name of the proprietary Office Suite that I use in Linux and that I just bought for Android similar to the one made by Microsoft. The company's name is not profanity.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

Unfortunately I can't offer any advice about your "redacted" problem since I have no idea what it is, but I second the suggestion to try Kingsoft instead, it's very good indeed on Android, is free, and puts documents in sensible places by default :)

3. Luke Drillbrain

I guess I'll go ahead and try Kingsoft since it's free. It's a bit of a bummer because I really like that other one. I'm just surprised I can't find my files. At some point also they'll release LibreOffice for Android and it will also be free.

I wonder if someone came in here and spammed up the place with ads for the other one. I was surprised its name is blocked here.

4. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

I think I know which one it is - I installed a free (older) version of their office suite a couple of years ago and got spammed by them to the point I not only blacklisted their email but also uninstalled the suite, never to return. I'm not surprised they spammed the forum, spamming seems to be their main marketing tool :-(

I only need speadsheet and word processor so I use Gnumeric and Abiword on both Linux and Windows (I wanted lightweight!) and used Kingsoft before Google added Quickoffice to Android, at which point I switched to that to avoid duplication and clutter.

However if your Android version doesn't have Quickoffice and you need to install an office app Kingsoft is very good, I had no issues at all with it.