• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I can't find the answer

Trimbaud

Aug 22, 2011
Pennsylvania
If I get a Nexus, and put it on TMobiles no contract plan with a sim card, will i get any system upgrades? I hate to overthink things, but I'm guessing I won't, since the providers usually push those out, right?
And, if that is the case, could I get the upgrade if Google goes to like, Krispy Kreme or whatever is next, without rooting?
Thanks!

The short answer is yes. The long answer is it may require a little work.

If the nexus you get was purchased directly from Google it will get updates directly from Google. If it was originally bought from a carrier it may depend on carrier updates. HOWEVER, any gsm nexus can be flashed to the takju or yakju builds fairly easily.... they will then be identical to the Google variant and get direct from Google updates. The directions for flashing have been posted here a few times. I think to flash required you to unlock the phone but if you wanted to for some reason you can always relock it.

Reactions: Trimbaud
Upvote 0
If I get a Nexus, and put it on TMobiles no contract plan with a sim card, will i get any system upgrades? I hate to overthink things, but I'm guessing I won't, since the providers usually push those out, right?
And, if that is the case, could I get the upgrade if Google goes to like, Krispy Kreme or whatever is next, without rooting?
Thanks!

I bought my Galaxy Nexus from google in July and immediately put in my t-mobile non-contract SIM. I am one of the first to get all the newest Android updates direct from google.

Reactions: Trimbaud
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones