1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I can't get Eclipse to run on Windows 7 :(

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by azzronulation, Dec 19, 2011.

1. azzronulation

azzronulation Newbie

Every time I try and start Eclipse I get the same error pop up "Java was started but returned exit code=13" along with a bunch of other information.

I've read loads of internet how-to's and forum posts in regards to this error, but none seem to work!

Help!

Here's the pop-up
    [​IMG]

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jiminaus

jiminaus Well-Known Member

Which version of Eclipse did you download?

I notice you're running 64-bit Windows. Did you download the 32-bit or 64-bit package? Also which version of Java did you install, x86 (32 bit) and/or x64 (64 bit)?

Hmm, an exclamation mark in a user name, I haven't seen that before. It's sparking alarm bells.

Try moving eclipse off your desktop and into C:\, so that the path to eclipse is not longer C:\Users\ronron!\Desktop\android\eclipse, but is simply C:\eclipse.

azzronulation likes this.
  3. azzronulation

azzronulation Newbie

Hey, Thanks for the reply.

Do you think the exclamation mark in my computers username could cause programs to malfunction?

I downloaded the 32bit versions of each but I just noticed now that "Eclipse Classic" is recommended, I downloaded the "Eclipse IDE for Java Developers" I feel that I may have downloaded the wrong one?

4. jiminaus

jiminaus Well-Known Member

Eclipse IDE for Java Developers is just Eclipse Classic with extra plugins pre-downloaded.

As long as you've matched 32-bit Eclipse with a 32-bit JRE, you should be right. I'd try moving the Eclipse folder.

I'd also try creating another user that just has a simple name, log into that user, extract Eclipse again but this time into C:\Eclipse2, and try again.

I also recall something about the zip extractor built into Windows not being able to extract the Eclipse zip correctly. Try extracting using an alternative zip extractor, such us 7-zip.

Any unusual characters in a file path has the potential to cause problems. Generally all the folders leading up to the eclipse folder should just have letters and/or numbers in them. Even spaces in a folder name can cause problems. So don't put Eclipse in the Program Files folder either.

5. azzronulation

azzronulation Newbie

I'll try it tomorrow in the C:/ directory and see how it goes.

It seems to be running correctly on my Ubuntu laptop, so if my pc fails I'll just use that.