1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I can't get rid of Auto Brightness in Notification bar

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Scootmien, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Scootmien

Scootmien Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Hello gang

In my notification panel there is the bar at the top for brightness adjustment. Now, I don't want this there and even though I constantly untick the option in the Settings > Notification Panel > Brightness Adjustment, it keeps 'reticking' itself and adding it back into my notification panel. The shortest gap I have witnessed between me unticking the option and it mysteriously reticking itself is 30 minutes.

Anyone else experience this and can provide me with a solution to get rid of it permanently that doesn't involve rooting please?

Advertisement

2. woodbutch4

woodbutch4 Newbie
    None

Jan 22, 2014
    Thanks, didn't know you could do that. Seems to work on my phone.

3. toptobottom

toptobottom Android Enthusiast

Jul 23, 2010
    Male
    Glen Spey, NY
    Try unticking and immediately do a reset. If that doesn't work, untick again and pull out your battery for maybe 10 minutes. Put together and try it.

Sometimes it takes a battery pull to get cellphones out of a repetitive situation.

4. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Thanks mate. Yeah I did a reset after the last time it did it just before posting the thread above. It's not appeared again yet but it might come back overnight, it always has before.

I'll check in the morning and if it's back, i'll pop the battery.

5. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Yeah it came back over night. I've popped the battery now and will try it again.

6. toptobottom

Jul 23, 2010
    Male
    Glen Spey, NY
    @Scootmien
    It doesn't really bother me having that feature in my notification panel area but I'll also give it a try to see what it does on my US Verizon version. We have not been updated to KitKat yet either. Unticked as of now - noon time on Thursday here in the US. I'll check it periodically and then tomorrow since it appears yours somehow reverts overnight.

Oh, and one more thought. Check to see that you don't have a tick in the box for Auto Brightness under Settings - SETTINGS>DISPLAY>BRIGHTNESS> '[√]' AUTOMATIC BRIGHTNESS
    That could possibly be causing it to reset in the notification area maybe even though you nixed it.

ScandaLeX and dustwun77 like this.
  7. TomAGibb

TomAGibb Well-Known Member
    VIP Member
    None

Feb 21, 2011
    Male
    Olympia, WA
    Ok, after reading this on Tuesday, I unticked this setting in the 'Settings' on my N3 and it has not re-set or changed.
    This is on the AT&T network and I've had the unit since about the 2nd week in January.

8. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Mine came back again today after pulling the battery yesterday. I do have auto-brightness ticked, I'll untick it and try again. Thanks chaps.

9. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Turning off the auto-brightness feature in its entirety seems to have worked so far. I've not had the notification bar come back since this morning. I'll have to wait until tomorrow morning to say for sure though. It's an inelegant solution as I like the feature but I dislike it invading my notification bar when i've told it not to.

On a different note (heh, see what I did there?) I have my Note 3 on the desk next to me in my office whilst I work and twice it has rebooted itself without any warning. Also, it seems to be turning off other things too. Wifi turned itself off and the battery percentage, which was one of the first things I turned on when I got the phone, has unticked itself.

I think I might just do a factory reset and start from scratch; the little issues are starting to annoy me.

dontpanicbobby likes this.
  10. toptobottom

Jul 23, 2010
    Male
    Glen Spey, NY
    @Scootmien

Mine has not re-appeared either today. I'm betting it was because you had a tick mark in the 'Automatic Brightness' box. That interwoven aspect must have gone unnoticed by the programmer. Might be why your phone has become quirky. One setting fighting another.

Hard Reset = Bummer

dustwun77 likes this.
  11. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Yeah with auto-brightness off it's behaving itself now and not showing the notification drop down slider.

Quite annoying though as I want auto-brightness on and this problem has only started manifesting itself since the update to 4.3 (which also broke writing to the internal SD card for apps too, FFS).

Let's hope that 4.4 is more rigorously tested before deployment...

12. Scootmien

None

Apr 14, 2012
    Male
    South UK
    Restored to factory settings and now it seems to be behaving itself. No unwanted notifications for three days.

Finally.

ScandaLeX likes this.
  13. ScandaLeX

ScandaLeX Wasn't Me
    None

May 4, 2010
    Female
    PhiLLy
    Nothing like something finally working the way you want it to. :)

Samsung Galaxy Note 3

The Samsung Galaxy Note 3 launched in 2012 and was the company's flagship phablet. The device featured a 5.7-inch display with a 1920 x 1080 resolution, 3GB of RAM, 32GB of storage, and a 13MP main camera.