• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I can't hear the other party during calls

I run a non-root Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon, with Android version 4.4.2 (as of October 16). Starting on October 21 my dialer isn't working as intended. When I call someone they can hear me and I can't hear them - I can't even hear their phone ring. When someone calls me they can hear me and I can't hear them. This happens with Bluetooth active and with Bluetooth inactive. If happens if I voice dial with Google Now, press a shortcut on my screen, or dial from the dialer. Rebooting fixes it until the next call.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?

Reactions: newerbee
I run a non-root Samsung Galaxy S4 on Verizon, with Android version 4.4.2 (as of October 16). Starting on October 21 my dialer isn't working as intended. When I call someone they can hear me and I can't hear them - I can't even hear their phone ring. When someone calls me they can hear me and I can't hear them. This happens with Bluetooth active and with Bluetooth inactive. If happens if I voice dial with Google Now, press a shortcut on my screen, or dial from the dialer. Rebooting fixes it until the next call.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a solution?
I have the same issue. It seems to only occur after I've connected to a bluetooth device. I get one call, then I have to reboot. I called Verizon and they sent me a replacement phone. Without installing any apps on the new phone, I walked through the process to connect a bluetooth, made one call, and again it's still an issue. It didn't start happening until I received the 4.2.2 update.

I've played with every setting I could find, but nothing works. I plan to call Verizon again in the morning.

Upvote 0
FOUND A SOLUTION!

While on the phone with both Verizon and Samsung listening to them tell me that I would need to send my phone (brand new, that I received yesterday) in for repairs, I kept playing with settings and FIGURED OUT A WORKAROUND!

The issue is with "OK Google".

To fix it:
1. Open the "Google" app.
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on "Voice"
4. Click on "OK Google Detection"
5. De-select "From any screen" and "From lock screen"
6. Reboot your phone.
..... everything should work (except OK Google).

Reactions: itsdarby
Upvote 0
Think I've had the same issue after Verizons most recent update as well. I found this solution and tried it earlier today, will see. Kind of a bummer but my time is growing short with this phone anyway..

FOUND A SOLUTION!

While on the phone with both Verizon and Samsung listening to them tell me that I would need to send my phone (brand new, that I received yesterday) in for repairs, I kept playing with settings and FIGURED OUT A WORKAROUND!

To fix it:
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on "Voice"
6. Reboot your phone.

Upvote 0
Did this and it seems to fix the problem. I am using a Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth ear piece on stock Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T 4.4.2 with all updates. I could make one call with the ear piece and then all calls after that were muted with or without the ear piece. It only happened with the ear piece. Plantronics sent me a replacement ear piece but of course that made no difference. So now I need to go to google and see if they will acknowledge the bug and fix it.
FOUND A SOLUTION!

To fix it:
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on "Voice"
6. Reboot your phone.

Upvote 0
Did this and it seems to fix the problem. I am using a Plantronics Voyager Legend bluetooth ear piece on stock Samsung Galaxy S4 AT&T 4.4.2 with all updates. I could make one call with the ear piece and then all calls after that were muted with or without the ear piece. It only happened with the ear piece. Plantronics sent me a replacement ear piece but of course that made no difference. So now I need to go to google and see if they will acknowledge the bug and fix it.
FOUND A SOLUTION!

To fix it:
2. Click on Settings
3. Click on "Voice"
6. Reboot your phone.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones