• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I chose my ThunderBolt over the overrated Iphone4

I walked into Verizon and asked 2 of the reps to point me in the direction of there BEST smart phone and i was lead to the HTC Thunderbolt.

I asked to look at the iPhone4 because they had the white one which looked nice but no one had anything to brag of when speaking of the i4. I asked what the main differences were and was told

Cam=TB
Screensize=TB
Resolution=i4
Speed=TB
Network access=TB with 4G speeds vs 3g with i4
Customization=TB Andriod with HTC sense and 7 homescreens
Apps=Equal
Facetime=TB not Wifi nessesary

So i left with the TB. Thanks for listening guys!

Just get rid of my verizon iphone 4 to get my tb so i can assure you that you absolutely made the right choice.

IMHO, hardware is good but iOS is the culprit ,Android is actually far more advanced and well designed !

I walked into Verizon and asked 2 of the reps to point me in the direction of there BEST smart phone and i was lead to the HTC Thunderbolt.

I asked to look at the iPhone4 because they had the white one which looked nice but no one had anything to brag of when speaking of the i4. I asked what the main differences were and was told

Cam=TB
Screensize=TB
Resolution=i4
Speed=TB
Apps=Equal

Upvote 0

Cam=TB
Screensize=TB
Resolution=i4
Speed=TB
Apps=Equal

It's sad to see that they/you left out battery life, since it's a major factor for me.

Not a factor for me. I keep a Dock at my desk at work (where im at most the day) and have a car charger.

Upvote 0
It's sad to see that they/you left out battery life, since it's a major factor for me.

So how does the comparison of battery life between the ThunderBolt and iPhone effect your new Samsung Charge? Unless of course your just looking for another reason to complain about the Bolt again :p

And I owned both and if you actually use the iPhone, ie streaming Slacker, and not just leave it in standby they are both down to 50% by lunch time....

GMB

Reactions: skinien
Upvote 0

Cam=TB
Screensize=TB
Resolution=i4
Speed=TB
Apps=Equal

I have had the Verizon iPhone 4 since launch (had an AT&T one last year) and I had been looking at the Thunderbolt since before launch. I have had the original Droid, Droid X and Fascinate and I have missed the customizability of Android and the widgets so I had been wanting the Thunderbolt since launch. I picked one up last Friday to try out along with my iPhone 4.

img1417j.jpg
img1417j.jpg

I agree with your assessment except for the camera and the apps. No way in hell is the TB camera better. Under the right circumstances the TB takes almost as good photos but the iPhone 4 takes much better pictures in every other instance. The speed with which the iP4 snaps the shots with or without flash makes a huge difference when snapping pics of a child. I took several pictures of various objects and places on both cameras and compared them on the phone and on my laptop. iPhone 4 wins hands down. Video capture is also butter smooth on the iPhone 4 and is amazing, especially in outdoor shooting. The TB camcorder is good but not as smooth in its video capture.

As for apps, for the most part you can find a specific app in either store when it comes to major companies apps but I can tell you the quality of the iOS app is better, visually, functionality-wise and performance. Some apps just off the top of my head that are better than their counterparts on Android are BoA, Weatherchannel, KBB.com, Dropbox, Twitter, Flixster, ESPN ScoreCenter. Those are some that I'm using on both. Also I know I've been flamed before for saying this but Google Voice app is so much more polished and works better on the iOS app than the Android version.

At this point I'm having issues with the Thunderbolt randomly dropping data. I'm at the edge of 4G coverage but should still have it. When I pick up the phone and hit the power buttoon I have 4G but then it always drops to 3G, sometimes dropping to no data at all then 3G. I continually had instances where the phone would drop 4G coverage and come back. I tried factory wipe with no luck. I then did the MR2 leak and it does the same thing, however GPS is super fast.

I'm probably going to return the TB and wait for HTC to release a phone comparable to the Sensation or Evo 3D, on Verizon.

I've had a ton of experience with both iOS and Android and I like having both platforms. Each has their positives and negatives.

Upvote 0
JoJocal makes some very good points. I have even considered returning the thunderbolt and buying the iphone 4 and I'm a huge Android fanboy.

Thunderbolt running mr2 non-rooted takes forever for the web browser to load a webpage. Newsrob and google reader wont even update over 4g (wifi/3g they work perfectly).

I'm to the point that I just want sh#t to work.

Reactions: aportable
Upvote 0
I've had the Eris, Incredible and the Thunderbolt, all after my iPhone 3G.

Just picked up the iPhone 4 and put the Thunderbolt on eBay.

While I admit the android platform is pretty sick, and they are making incredible strides toward usability improvements, there is just nothing like the simplicity of the iPhone 4. When I had all 3 of the previous android devices I rooted like so many on this site, and found myself CONSTANTLY playing with kernels and roms, looking to find the smoothest, most battery friendly operation possible. After MONTHS of trying literally everything out there I had to give up. The battery life on the Bolt even after running a multitude of kernels and roms in every possible combination was just unacceptable. Every tweak imagineable was tried, including the disabling of 4G. It also, no matter what rom you run stock or otherwise, has bugs, and they get incredibly annoying.

Bottom line, if you want a phone that works, works well, is reliable and has good battery life and multimedia support, you'd be hard pressed to find something as good as the iPhone. If you want full open access, an unlimited amount of customizations, and a really really fast connection, you'd be hard pressed to find anything better than the bolt right now.

Who knows, I may jump back on the android wagon after the Bionic and whatever other Jesus phones come out, but for now I'm SOOOOO relieved to have a nice locked down, functional, beautiful device like the iPhone 4.

Upvote 0
It's nice to see other people with money burning a hole in their pocket that can afford to have both phones, or jumping from one to the other at will.
Some people really do have a viable gripe to the phone, and I'm sure if they raise enough of a stink they can get switched without any money being transferred.

Granted, I still love my TB, sucks that some people are having issues so large they have to switch.

Upvote 0
So how does the comparison of battery life between the ThunderBolt and iPhone effect your new Samsung Charge? Unless of course your just looking for another reason to complain about the Bolt again :p

And I owned both and if you actually use the iPhone, ie streaming Slacker, and not just leave it in standby they are both down to 50% by lunch time....

GMB

Haha, sorry bro. I know I've been coming off wrong to a lot of people, but I just want to share my experiences since I did have a TB for over two and a half months.

But since you brought the Charge up, the battery life compared to the TB is not even comparable. It was only my first full day of owning the phone too. I pulled it off the charger at 8am and at midnight I still had about 15% yet. And I was punishing the battery last night. So I got 16 hours on it with still a little juice left.

With my TB I would have had to charge it twice by midnight.

But to stay on topic, I too would choose a TB over an iPhone. No question about it. :D

Upvote 0
I had the iphone and got rid of it for the tb. IOS was boring to me and I liked everything I could do with my tb unlike the iphone which unless you jailbreak you cant do half of the customizations like on the tb. Not to mention 4g speeds made it an even easier choice for me. Yeah battery isnt that good but what do you expect being first gen tech. remember 3g used to be the same way.

Upvote 0
It's nice to see other people with money burning a hole in their pocket that can afford to have both phones, or jumping from one to the other at will.

You have to know how.

I'm not rich by a long shot, but the last phone I bought on contract was the Eris.

Laid out the cash to get the incredible on ebay, and sold the eris. Only cost me the 200 which would have been the upgrade fee anyway.

Months go by, then I do the same with the Incredible, sold it and bought the TB on ebay, again, only 200.

Doing the same thing with the iPhone. Got one on ebay, and the bolt is now for sale.

Granted, I know I say I'm not rich, which I'm not, but I can afford to do the 200 upgrade fee every 6 months or so. I save for it because I'm a geek and this is what I love.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how people who like iOS can surf the internet to post stuff. It has more than one button.

Is it me or does this make no sense? What's wrong with surfing on iOS? (Besides the obvious lack of flash, which I still have yet to encounter a site that I use on a regular basis that limits me like that. Besides, I'm still getting the galaxy tab 10.1 as a wedding present from my fiance so... :) )

Upvote 0
Is it me or does this make no sense? What's wrong with surfing on iOS? (Besides the obvious lack of flash, which I still have yet to encounter a site that I use on a regular basis that limits me like that. Besides, I'm still getting the galaxy tab 10.1 as a wedding present from my fiance so... :) )

He was pointing out that iphones only have one physical navigation button and furthermore implying that if an iphone user encountered more than one button at a time they would be too confused to continue..... A gross exaggeration but funny in a light hearted playful manner nonetheless. :D

GMB

Reactions: damule6666
Upvote 0
After owning both, I prefer the TB, minus the constant rebooting which I hope is fixed soon. But the iPhone 4 camera is easily better than the TB, and the battery life is at least twice the TB, from my experience and usage. Also, my TB catches lag sometimes that the iPhone rarely had.

But I love the bigger screen, interface/customization and flash support. Also the voice quality is much better, in-call. However these reboots are voiding all its advantages currently =/

No 4g in Austin so I don't count that yet. When there is, I may just disable 4g after hearing it makes the better life even worse.

Upvote 0
When I went and bought my bolt, the guy asked what phone I was looking at, I said the thunderbolt and the first thing he said (literally before we even walked over to the thing) he says "so have you heard about the battery problems."

Weird that they left it out. At least they were forthcoming with it to me even though I had done my homework.

Upvote 0
I owned a Verizon iPhone 4 for a couple of months (work paid for it) but then decided that I wanted 4g over what Apple had to offer. I also missed like like attaching a file, I mean one that isn't an image, and being able to utilize dropbox fully.
The iPhone 4 is a great phone and iOS 5 is bringing a multitude of things to the table that make it a serious contender.
For now I got the Bolt, slapped on the extended battery, and am still enjoying custom ROM's and kernels.
iPhone 4, TBolt, Charge...all good phones. We all value different aspects of the phones and they all have different strengths/weaknesses.

Upvote 0
He was pointing out that iphones only have one physical navigation button and furthermore implying that if an iphone user encountered more than one button at a time they would be too confused to continue..... A gross exaggeration but funny in a light hearted playful manner nonetheless. :D

GMB

Thank you for the clarification.

Insert mild chuckle here ---> :p

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones