1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I clicked on a dodgy attachment is my phone safe?

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by sarahlp, Jan 29, 2016.

1. sarahlp

sarahlp Lurker

I opened a pdf attachment and clicked on a box within it from a gmail message on my Moto G phone. I'm now certain the pdf contained a virus. The box took me nowhere. I've scanned my phone with various anti-virus and malware apps, none of which found any problem. I've changed all passwords. But how can I be certain the device is safe? Is there any way to safely find out what the dodgy attachment was trying to do? Thanks for your help.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. androidmachine

androidmachine Android Enthusiast

I'm not sure you can ever be 100% certain, but likely if it were a virus or malware it was for Windows and not Android OS. I wouldn't obsess over it, and if my phone acted suspiciously in the next few days, then I would worry about it. But not now. As I said, it was probably not malware that would run on Android.

scary alien likes this.
  3. sarahlp

sarahlp Lurker

Thanks so much for getting back to me. That's what i was thinking (and hoping!). No suspicious activity yet either. It was definitely a maliscious attachment and in a moment of not concentrating, i did the one thing i shouldn't have - really should know better. Still lesson learnt. Having said that, I've now taken the precaution of a factory reset anyhow - paranoia! But it made me feel better, thanks again for being so helpful.

androidmachine and The_Chief like this.
  4. today

today Android Expert

Be wary of connecting your phone to your computer under those circumstances. I've heard the poison cannot move itself from your phone to the computer without a helpful click. I can't be sure though.