• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i debranded this handset way back when now i need some advice please

malcster

Aug 2, 2010
Nottinghamshire
http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/140645-guide-how-i-debranded-my-vodafone-desire-get-2-2-quicker.html

I debranded ages ago.to get 2.2

My mum now has this phone but is sick of Facebook updates that she never uses and is hankering after my galaxy nexus for.vanilla Android

When I try to do ota updates it says one is there but hangs during install

I am tempted to root but a bit unsure which way to go

Should I update via HTC dev site to get 2.3 then root or root 2.2 then update to 2.3
Tbh I am a bit of a noob to all this and thought the revoked 1 click root would be the easiest way but I really need your help

Kind regards

http://androidforums.com/htc-desire/140645-guide-how-i-debranded-my-vodafone-desire-get-2-2-quicker.html

I debranded ages ago.to get 2.2

My mum now has this phone but is sick of Facebook updates that she never uses and is hankering after my galaxy nexus for.vanilla Android

When I try to do ota updates it says one is there but hangs during install

I am tempted to root but a bit unsure which way to go

Should I update via HTC dev site to get 2.3 then root or root 2.2 then update to 2.3
Tbh I am a bit of a noob to all this and thought the revoked 1 click root would be the easiest way but I really need your help

Kind regards

There isn't much point updating to 2.3 just to root and arguably rooting from 2.2 is easier as you don't have to S-Off your device. Also, if you do root from 2.2 and install the official 2.3 update from the HTC devs, you'll unroot it anyway so it's rather counter productive to do that!

Taking a step back, if your mum doesn't use Facebook, can you not just sign out of it? Or at least turn off the notifications? (My ignorance may be showing as I don't use Facebook).

If you want to go down the rooting method for a vanilla android feel, just root as your phone currently is and install a 2.3.x custom rom on it which doesn't have Sense and is streamlined (such as Redux 1.2). Or if you want a familiar feel and want to stick with Sense, try Teppic74's roms (both Froyo and Gingerbread are available). If you do root make sure you read the "All Things Root" stickies and ask any questions you're unsure of.

Reactions: malcster
Upvote 0
God knows how but I could not get the 2.3 to load at all

Looking back I may have done it completelywrong (was I supposed to dump it on to SD card and then recover from there )

Any way I managed to install cm7 and after a boot loop of the blue android on a skateboard I got it working

Can I go back to the official 2.3 update from HTC devs if so can some explain how to do it

Please be gentle I am a noob to all this

So far I have installed
clockwork recovery
From manager from the market

I would like a bit of help to try and get a sense from back on there
it took my mum who is knocking on a bit 18 months to work out how android and sense works and by the look on her face when I gave her the handset back was like wtf

Upvote 0
Running the 2.3 RUU should be easy:

Boot phone while pressing the "back" button. This will take you to the fastboot screen.

Connect to a PC. Will now say "fastboot usb" on the phone.

Run the RUU .exe on the PC.

That's it. Do note that this process will perform a factory reset of the phone, so back up anything you want to keep.

TBH I don't know whether this rom will include Facebook etc. You may want to check first.

There are also pre-rooted versions available, such as Teppic74's, if you want root. Can't link as am using tapatalk.

Reactions: malcster
Upvote 0
Now that's the problem lies I could not see a .exe in the folders

The guide I was initially using describes the file as 168mb and to install via HTC sync

The only desire 2.3 file is about 80mb and clearly states bare bones HTC sense install Facebook will require downloading from the market

I'll double check the folders and let you know for sure

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones