• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root i did the sprecovery but i cant find the video

Don't you have to be rooted to use rom manager?

I flashed Sprecovery the other day, but I could not get the renamed update zip to install, it kept giving me failed to open update zip, aborted installation, or something like that. I tried a couple different roms with the same result. I would download Rom manager and pay the 4-5 bucks if it will work, but I thought you have to be rooted first.

Also, if you've flashed Sprecovery, but are not rooted, will that interfere with the 2.2 update, whenever it comes, or can you simply accept the pushed update and get 2.2?

Upvote 0
Didn't know you could even flash recovery without root.As far as update, yes, you can do OTA. It will wipe your root, which is why it's disabled in custom roms. But as mentioned, update will be available on custom roms long before any OTA. If for any reason you decide you don't want root, you can always go back to OEM.

Easy method is to download droidMod to root phone. Next, get paid version of rom manager. Install Clockork Recovery with Rom Manager. After reboot, find a rom on their list, and test it out. Then another, and another... you get the idea.When you find one you really dig,open rom manager again, click menu while in their DL screen, and donate. I would suggest a wifi connection, as it cuts the time exponentially, but this can all be done over 3G.

Upvote 0
Don't you have to be rooted to use rom manager?

I flashed Sprecovery the other day, but I could not get the renamed update zip to install, it kept giving me failed to open update zip, aborted installation, or something like that. I tried a couple different roms with the same result. I would download Rom manager and pay the 4-5 bucks if it will work, but I thought you have to be rooted first.

Also, if you've flashed Sprecovery, but are not rooted, will that interfere with the 2.2 update, whenever it comes, or can you simply accept the pushed update and get 2.2?

Once you have SPRecovery, you can just flash any new ROM that has superuser permissions
having just SPRecovery flashed to your droid is gaining root access, just not accessing it. you need to install a Super User app in order to use root related apps.

Here is a good post on SPRecovery read through it and also check out the links from that post
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

Upvote 0
Once you have SPRecovery, you can just flash any new ROM that has superuser permissions
having just SPRecovery flashed to your droid is gaining root access, just not accessing it. you need to install a Super User app in order to use root related apps.

Here is a good post on SPRecovery read through it and also check out the links from that post
http://androidforums.com/all-things-root-droid/63010-how-install-sprecovery-unrooted-2-1-ota.html

I'm sorry guys if I didn't make myself clear, my fault. I used the thread above and it's links, and actually the video to flash sprecovery about a week ago. I did a nandroid backup, cleared cache, etc. I downloaded cyanegen mod, renamed it update.zip, put it on the root of my sd card, and tried to use sprecovery to install it. I selected allow update.zip, and install update.zip. I followed the instructions in the thread, and I don't think I missed anything, but for whatever reason the update.zip wouldn't install. It kept giving me an error "can not open update.zip abort install" something like that. I tried another rom, smoked glass and it did the same thing. So at this point I have sprecovery flashed, but I'm not rooted and no little ninja.

So I was just wondering if I install rom manager if I can install a custom rom that way and get rooted.

At this point I restored my nandroid backup, and I'm back where I started so I'm in no big hurry.

Thanks for all the help, and replies. I've read till my eyes are bleeding, sorry if this has been covered.

Upvote 0
Without SU permissions, Rom Manager won't do you any good. If you want another rom, you have to have root. Sounds like you had root, then lost it when you installed your backup.

Complete How-To on How to Mod Your Phone (2.1 ROM, O/C, MM, Boot Animation, etc) - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

I rooted both my droids via terminal emulator. You'll have to get root access back before you can flash roms. Like I said, DroidMod is easiest, but Math3ws tutorials are pretty easy to fllow. Once you have root, you can ignore the rest of the tutorial. You don't need recovery, obviously. Once you get root again, Rom Manager will allow you to install Clockwork recovery by clicking a few ok's. Clockwork will allow you to keep the names of updates, instead of renaming everything to update.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for the help, especially Barkleyfan. I will try the method you suggested when I get a chance to get around to it. The other night I was just trying a quick/easy way that I had read about in other threads. Just so you know exactly what I did.....

First I did this..

YouTube - Flashing SPRecovery SBF File to a Motorola Droid

No problems there at all.

Then I did this..

YouTube - Installing a Custom ROM in SPRecovery with No Root

All went well until the last part. When installing the JRummys Remix Cyanmod, I didn't have the same result he did, where his installed, mine failed to open update.zip and aborted installation. I was very thorough, unless there was something he didn't show, or I missed.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I didn't do it like that, so I'm not sure. Before anything else, I suppose try to grab that rom again. When you sync up, make sure there is no file named update in the root of the SD card. Whatever is there, delete it. Rename the rom to update, and put it there. Try one more time. If it works, it's quick. If not, Math3ws tutorials are simple. I would still go into Rom Manager and flash Clockwork recovery as soon as you've confirmed root. All of the roms on Rom Manager are sick, so play with them. My preference is Bugless Beast. The cyanogen roms are stacked with features, but Petes BB is super stable, fast, and smooth. With P3 kernels, my battery actually lasts too.

I rooted before the 2.1 update came out, so I haven't had to wory about it with 2.1 at all. Seems like the permissions wouldn't be there the way he did it on the video, but I ain't callin him a liar.

One thing to make sure on as well; you just rename the file update. If you add.zip, the system will read .zip twice, and fail. This is because windows hides the file extensions.

Upvote 0
Hmmm... I didn't do it like that, so I'm not sure. Before anything else, I suppose try to grab that rom again. When you sync up, make sure there is no file named update in the root of the SD card. Whatever is there, delete it. Rename the rom to update, and put it there. Try one more time. If it works, it's quick. If not, Math3ws tutorials are simple. I would still go into Rom Manager and flash Clockwork recovery as soon as you've confirmed root. All of the roms on Rom Manager are sick, so play with them. My preference is Bugless Beast. The cyanogen roms are stacked with features, but Petes BB is super stable, fast, and smooth. With P3 kernels, my battery actually lasts too.

I rooted before the 2.1 update came out, so I haven't had to wory about it with 2.1 at all. Seems like the permissions wouldn't be there the way he did it on the video, but I ain't callin him a liar.

One thing to make sure on as well; you just rename the file update. If you add.zip, the system will read .zip twice, and fail. This is because windows hides the file extensions.

Hey do you think you could post a link to a good version of bugless beast rom for me?

Upvote 0
[ROM] Bugless Beast V1.0 ESE81 - Droid Forum - Verizon Droid & the Motorola Droid Forum

Is a link to Petes thread. Still recommend Rom Manager instead. Backups, themes, kernels etc are all handled in a UI instead of downloading separate files and installing them.

Thanks, yeah the goal here is to get a rom installed via the video tutorial above (if possible), once that's done and I have root and super user access, then my next move is to buy Rom manager and use it from then on. If I have to root the hard way so be it, but the way in the video is just too easy.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones