• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I dont know what its called, but I know its function....

On the iPhone, when you hold down the top button and the button on the bottom it takes a snap shot of your screen, I love that feature.

Does the droid have it?

There are screen capture apps in the market but it requires a rooted phone. If you want to take a screen shot without rooting, it's a bit of an involved process.

I'm not sure why this isn't a system function because so many people want to do it, unless the theory is that your screen could be captured without your knowledge and violate your privacy. In any case, this explains it:

Take Android screenshots without root | Android Central

Upvote 0
That's easy: the screen is a system resource that is heavily guarded in any UNIX system - and therefore it is in Android too. That's the reason you require root access for it. The iPhone and especially your old Nokia used a completely different OS. Much easier to hack too BTW.

Upvote 0
I too, don't see why we can't do it non rooted. My old Nokia's could do this no problem, and obviously, the iPhone can. Does anyone know a proper reason to why it is not standard?

Because then nothing is stopping a dev from making an app that takes a screenshot every time you do something secure like read confidential emails or SMS. It's a huge potential security flaw if they don't lock it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones