1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I don't really know what went wrong

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by rounen, Apr 19, 2012.

1. rounen

rounen Lurker

Hey guys, I rooted my phone yesterday using one of the guides in this forum (on this page: http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all-things-root/488901-revised-rooting-gingerbread-2-3-5-dummies-guide.html)

I did the HTCdev method, since it was recommended and this was my first time. It all went smoothly through steps 1, 2, and 3. My phone was working fine, rooted how it was supposed to be. I flashed the stock rom onto the phone from step 3 because I didn't have time to search for one that I would like. But anyway, everything was perfect, except the fact that i lost all my contacts, but that's normal and not a big deal.

I'm guessing what I did wrong after all of this was when I went into "Recovery" from the Hboot, and chose "Wipe ALL userdata/factory reset." I rebooted the phone and i kept going back into Hboot even though I did not press Down on volume and power button down at the same time. At this point, I have no idea what to do. I've searched the forums but couldn't find what I needed. I even reflashed the rom onto my phone over and over, but nothing.

I would really appreciate it if anyone could help me out with this!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gonowhere

gonowhere Android Enthusiast

I did the same thing and was basically SOL, live and learn. I take it your contacts aren't linked to your Google account? Future reference, synch all your contacts through Google.

3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

Either flash a new ROM or reflash your ROM.

Easy fix. I would recommend MikG 3.11 here:
    http://themikmik.com/showthread.php?10338-MikG-v3-11-3-9-2012

You want the full wipe version.

Go down the list in recovery wiping EVERYTHING except for the one labeled SD card. Wipe SD-EXT and wipe SD-android.secure.

After that flash your ROM

4. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds

Did you make a backup of what you had (most likely stock unrooted) before you flashed the ROM? Also can you get to recovery?

frenchy714 likes this.
  5. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

ok you need to follow directions carefully. in the step for the stock rom, there is no instructions about wiping anything. you just need to flash the su .zip.

from the guide:

the su file is not a rom, but it is what actually grants you to use rooted apps. i will edit the guide so as not to create any more confusion on this.

basically what you did was wipe your stock rom from your phone. so my suggestion is to use the step on how to get a custom rom. mikg3.11 is waaaaaay better then stock anyways.

to get the file over to the sd card. go to recovery and select usb-ms toggle and then move the file over to the card and proceed with the directions according to the guide.

dustwun77 and rounen like this.
  6. gonowhere

gonowhere Android Enthusiast

When I first read this I thought you were trying to recover your contacts, now as I read it again, I am wondering what it is you are asking for. Is your phone working? Are you just trying to figure out where you went wrong in losing your contacts?

7. rounen

rounen Lurker

No, I wasn't trying to recover my contacts, I never cared about it, I just wanted to know how to get my phone working. I'm just gonna try what ocnbrze suggested. thanks everyone for interest and knowledge.

ocnbrze likes this.
  8. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

ok keep us posted and let us know if have more questions.

HTC EVO 4G Forum

The HTC EVO 4G release date was June 2010. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 512GB RAM, Snapdragon S1 processor, and 1500mAh battery.

June 2010
Release Date
Reviews