• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I don't think 2.1 is coming

carmendiva

Android Expert
Feb 11, 2010
New Yor
First off...Sorry to do yet another 2.1 thread
I just wanted to speak my opinion about it

Second...
if either of my opinion in fact was someone else's opinion who has already posted(sorry)
i did a quick search and skim....

I don't think 2.1 is coming to the eris(besides roots and leaks)
because

1)The phone is about to be EOL'ed in may
2)with all the 2.1 devices coming out...how come none of the devices using a special UI(Htc Eris/Sprint hero, htc hero, Cliq, behold or even the mytouch and g1) gotten it.
you have the incredible and the desire coming.
the rumor was sense was having issues on 2.1
but its obvious 2.1 works on sense

so i really dont think we are getting it

Again i apologize for starting the thread(especially if the points above have been stated)

No need to flame...just ignore and let the thread die...alone haha

i looked again at the original posting of the 2.1 v2 leak. the guy who posted it claimed to work at verizon- almost definitely true-and he said that he believed that they were"sitting on it until the release of the incredible"

since this guy was able to get his hands on 2.1v2, im inclined to believe him. if a month after the incredible comes out, we still havent gotten the update, THEN ill believe its never coming, brick my phone, get a replacement and go for root. till then dont trip people. we can have alll the opinions we want on this subject but NOBODY KNOWS so its pointless to keep speculating. AND its cluttering up the forums and getting really annoying really quick.

i for one think we will get it. they wouldnt promise it to us and then just say never mind. thats a VERY good way to lose customers, especially with a promise of something as large as this.

Upvote 0
im not too worried about it.
I have leak 2 and it's slowed my phone down horribly

At least you guys have the option of not reading a thread when it has 2.1 and when is it coming in the title i dont have the luxury in the real world.

My roommates have erises, stuck on 1.5 and they are constantly complaining "i got this phone and come to find out the droid has 2.1 and we don't."

my dumb blonde friend bridgette was like it's because i'm black
i was like bitch, your white...

Im already getting the incredible when it comes out unless those new microsoft kin phones attract me some more...

Upvote 0
im not too worried about it.
I have leak 2 and it's slowed my phone down horribly

At least you guys have the option of not reading a thread when it has 2.1 and when is it coming in the title i dont have the luxury in the real world.

My roommates have erises, stuck on 1.5 and they are constantly complaining "i got this phone and come to find out the droid has 2.1 and we don't."

my dumb blonde friend bridgette was like it's because i'm black
i was like bitch, your white...

Im already getting the incredible when it comes out unless those new microsoft kin phones attract me some more...

tell them i have a solution to their problem and if they follow it step by step everything will be fine.
1) STFU!
2) sell eris on CL
3) use that money to buy a moto droid
3) b. if there is a cost difference tell them to get their dumbasses out onto the street and start hookin. should be able to come up with the money quick.

yes...we should have had 2.1 by now, but theres not that much difference between the two. i dont see why people have made such a huge issue out of it all. if your not happy with your phone....GET RID OF IT!
nothing is keeping you from switching. be happy that the eris on 1.5 is as good as it is...coming from the EnV2, even 1.5 was like heaven.

Upvote 0
I agree with what other posts have said. The update will not be released before the incredible is out and the hero is getting it which is basically the same phone. I for one am glad I went to the 2.1 leak because I was having issues before on 1.5 and now they're gone. I just wish I had rooted... Oh well, that's life. We don't always get what we want especially when your impatient like me.

Upvote 0
The GSM Hero is actually supposed to get 2.1 today. The Sprint Hero should get it later this month. We will probably see at the end of this month or the start of May, after the incrdible is out.

I'm beginning to think that this is the case as well. Carmen...history says that we will get the update. I remember when everyone waited for the update to the Omnia. Just when we had all nearly given up hope, it popped up.

I think that this wait has been absurd and Verizon has not played nice by keeping us out of the loop but what are you honestly gonna do? Leave? They have several million other customers and someone to take your place right away. By and large, people are happy with their phones because they don't even expect updates. Ask my girlfriend if she got her Droid update and she'll tell you she has no idea. She got it because I got the email for it but she doesn't know or care. She's happy because she has a neat smartphone and it does more than she even understands. I can't even imagine trying to describe Root to her!

It's not that people are dumb...they just have other things in their lives that are more important. We are phone geeks.

Upvote 0
To expand on a couple above posts. It makes sense that it will not come until close or after the Eris end of life or after the launch of the incredible. Most of us Eris owner bought the phone for less than a $100 buck (I got mine for free, with my NE2), and switching will cost a lot of money. So from the evil empire point of view (VZW), if they update the eris to 2.1 they have now devalued the Droid, and the incredible, and potential loss of sales to new customers. While repeat customers is a typical business model for most retail sale, in the case of phone companies, they are working on a 2 year cycle. Most of their revenue HAS to come from new customers or those whose 2 year is up. And I doubt they will devalue that revenue stream to keep those that bought older technology happy.

Now, I realize that some of us will look at this as a bad business practice and threaten to take our business elsewhere and I am sure some will, but most wont. And I am sure that VZW has already anticipated this risk in their business model.

Looking back, I should have not been so quick to jump into the Android market, but that is the price we pay for being pioneers I guess. For now I will wait, knowing that the leaked version is still an option for me if I so choose.

Upvote 0
To expand on a couple above posts. It makes sense that it will not come until close or after the Eris end of life or after the launch of the incredible. Most of us Eris owner bought the phone for less than a $100 buck (I got mine for free, with my NE2), and switching will cost a lot of money. So from the evil empire point of view (VZW), if they update the eris to 2.1 they have now devalued the Droid, and the incredible, and potential loss of sales to new customers. While repeat customers is a typical business model for most retail sale, in the case of phone companies, they are working on a 2 year cycle. Most of their revenue HAS to come from new customers or those whose 2 year is up. And I doubt they will devalue that revenue stream to keep those that bought older technology happy.

Now, I realize that some of us will look at this as a bad business practice and threaten to take our business elsewhere and I am sure some will, but most wont. And I am sure that VZW has already anticipated this risk in their business model.

Looking back, I should have not been so quick to jump into the Android market, but that is the price we pay for being pioneers I guess. For now I will wait, knowing that the leaked version is still an option for me if I so choose.

Wrong company.

att-deathstar.jpg

Reactions: Jazzy79 and Jlopcpa
Upvote 0
First off...Sorry to do yet another 2.1 thread
I just wanted to speak my opinion about it

Second...
if either of my opinion in fact was someone else's opinion who has already posted(sorry)
i did a quick search and skim....

I don't think 2.1 is coming to the eris(besides roots and leaks)
because

1)The phone is about to be EOL'ed in may
2)with all the 2.1 devices coming out...how come none of the devices using a special UI(Htc Eris/Sprint hero, htc hero, Cliq, behold or even the mytouch and g1) gotten it.
you have the incredible and the desire coming.
the rumor was sense was having issues on 2.1
but its obvious 2.1 works on sense

so i really dont think we are getting it

Again i apologize for starting the thread(especially if the points above have been stated)

No need to flame...just ignore and let the thread die...alone haha

Root your phone, problem solved. I'm sure there enough people here that would gladly help you get it done.

Upvote 0
I emailed Verizon last night and received this reply form them about 2.0 or 2.1 upgrade.

Good Morning! My name is Thomas, and I am happy to assist you regarding information about the software upgrade for the HTC Droid Eris. At this time, we do not have a promise date as to when or if a 2.0 or 2.1 software/ O.S. will be available for the HTC Droid Eris. To keep track of available software or OS updates, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/support

Upvote 0
I emailed Verizon last night and received this reply form them about 2.0 or 2.1 upgrade.

Good Morning! My name is Thomas, and I am happy to assist you regarding information about the software upgrade for the HTC Droid Eris. At this time, we do not have a promise date as to when or if a 2.0 or 2.1 software/ O.S. will be available for the HTC Droid Eris. To keep track of available software or OS updates, please visit www.verizonwireless.com/support

Notice the "when or if". Fortune frowns. :(

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones