• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I don't want to mess with my Phone...but i need root access

derock533

Lurker
Feb 16, 2016
Hello, I have a Gionee Marathon M5 which i am using since 2 weeks now. i just download a game with patch which i really wish to play. I have things on the phone and don't wish to lose or have time to run a backup.

Please how can i have root access to my phone, running Lollipop 5.1.

Presumably because the game is pirated and root is required for the patch/crack. I would advise OP to stop now, and obtain the game legitimately.

While root is possible for this Gionee. It's quite complex, requires a PC, phone must be backed up, and being able to read and understand Chinese would help immensely.

From the Gionee forum.
http://bbs.amigo.cn/thread-45247-1-1.html
Here be dragons.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
To OP: Don't do it. Patched games are illegal, insecure, and actually have a very high probability of breaking when trying to patch it. May even break Google Play Services and if you don't have a custom recovery, backup, or flashable ROM.. You could severely screw yourself. Trust me, I tried a few times just to see. Instead I had to redo EVERYTHING from scratch. Save yourself a headache & Use Root for a better purpose.

Upvote 0
Thanks everyone for you great advice. I downloaded a game and it is requesting i root my phone.
No game should need root to run, delete it and pretend it never happened. I would assume it is actually a malicious app pretending to be a game so it can get into your device and do what it want's

Upvote 0
I agree with @mikedt and @bcrichster in their point that no game should need root access to run at all. And like they said, if a game requires root to function, then chances are its pirated and/or patched and could contain hidden viruses and malware, and I highly suggest you get the game legally. Pirating games is both illegal and unsafe. Please DON'T TAKE ANY CHANCES!

P.S: I'm a part time game developer, so I know these things.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones