• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Project2501

May 1, 2011
UK
So, I dropped my new note 2, three of the corners on the metallic rim were scratched and pitted, so I set my dremmel to grind the pits out and then smoothed it over, but now the white plastic shows underneath on three of the corners.

So I've decided to paint it, any ideas on how I'd go about this?

Thanks in advance for the replies xxx <3

Too bad, I feel for you, not fun with that expensive device. But one advice, don't do anything to it, no matter what you do you are only going to make it worse. If you paint it that paint is gone before you make the second phonecall. If the damage is something you can't live with, check out with a repairstore what it is going to cost you to replace the rim, or put a case on it.

Upvote 0
Mine fell out of my purse when I was getting out of the car. We had just came home from celebrating our anniversary. :) :(. It dinged the corner of the chrome ring and cracked the screen on the lower right side. I found lots of repair shops, but was impressed with Radio Shack's lifetime warranty on screen repairs. They have to send it in and it takes a couple weeks. My phone still works so I'm waiting until we have an available upgrade next month and will get a new Note 2 then send this one for repair. I use it for business, so being without it for two weeks is not an option. At least I will end up with a backup.

I was using a diary case that didn't cover the top and sides.

Upvote 0
I feel for all the owners that drop their phone. I do have one question though,...it seems to me that pushing the glass to the edge of the device is creating a situation where the front glass can be broken more easily since the weakest part of any glass is the edge.

Can anyone who has dropped their phone post whether the glass damage started from the side of from a front impact? I am guessing most damage even if the entire screen spiders was caused by the side giving way first.

Thhanks,

Upvote 0
Mine fell out of my purse when I was getting out of the car. We had just came home from celebrating our anniversary. :) :(. It dinged the corner of the chrome ring and cracked the screen on the lower right side. I found lots of repair shops, but was impressed with Radio Shack's lifetime warranty on screen repairs. They have to send it in and it takes a couple weeks. My phone still works so I'm waiting until we have an available upgrade next month and will get a new Note 2 then send this one for repair. I use it for business, so being without it for two weeks is not an option. At least I will end up with a backup.

I was using a diary case that didn't cover the top and sides.

Out of curiosity, how much repair shops want for a screen replacement and how much radio shack charges for the replacement/repair? Even so I have my GN2 in a case (UAG), it's always in a back of my mind since I don't have an insurance.

Btw, I thought you had modified ebay rugged case with a clip cover?

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, how much repair shops want for a screen replacement and how much radio shack charges for the replacement/repair? Even so I have my GN2 in a case (UAG), it's always in a back of my mind since I don't have an insurance.

Btw, I thought you had modified ebay rugged case with a clip cover?

They (Radio Shack) said $70.00 to $90.00 for the glass, but the chrome ring would be extra. They didn't say how much extra. Another shop said $150.00.

Yes, I modified a rugged case but decided to use my "pretty" wallet case because we went to a fancy restaurant. So much for vanity....

Upvote 0
They (Radio Shack) said $70.00 to $90.00 for the glass, but the chrome ring would be extra. They didn't say how much extra. Another shop said $150.00.

Yes, I modified a rugged case but decided to use my "pretty" wallet case because we went to a fancy restaurant. So much for vanity....

That is a very good info! I'm sure that chrome edge ring wouldn't be too much on top of it. So for under $100 you can get a repair with a warranty and will keep your phone instead of getting refurbished replacement. This makes more sense than paying for monthly protection insurance and $100-$200 deductibles.

Upvote 0

Yes, I modified a rugged case but decided to use my &quot;pretty&quot; wallet case because we went to a fancy restaurant. So much for vanity....

I'm afraid you got bad information. Radioshack sells screen repair service... not for the note 2 though.

Og iPhone, 3g, 3gs and itouch 2g and 3g is $69

IPhone 4, 4s is $99

SELECT android phones $99

IPad $199

Your best bet would be to do it yourself. Ifixit has a great tutorial and the glass is fairly inexpensive. Radioshack sells an ifixit tool kit with all the tools you need for$70.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones