1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support I dropped the top of my phone in disinfectant :(

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Stheno, Apr 12, 2016.

1. Stheno

Stheno Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2016
    Female
    I had a bucket with a tiny bit of disinfectant in and my phone was on charge and fell in the bucket. It was only the top and the camera at the back got wet and I think some went into the headphones port. My phone was on at the time and it said that headphones were plugged in. The loud speaker keeps making noise a strange noise too. I've wiped up all the moisture with a tissue and put it in rice. Is there anything else I can do? Is it worth getting a professional to look at it?

Advertisement

2. girolez

girolez Often Off Piste

May 29, 2011
    Male
    Retired
    Les Gets, France
    Hi

Assuming its a phone with a fixed back and battery so you can't take it apart at all, there is not much more you can do. Be patient and leave it in a sealed plastic bag with dry rice for as long as you can - at least 2 days. You may, or may not, be lucky...

svim likes this.
  3. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    What model phone is it? As girolez was referring to, if your phone has a removable back that can at least help dry out the insides a little quicker. Hopefully you powered it off, and resist any urge to just test it by starting it back up.

4. Stheno

Stheno Lurker
    None

Apr 12, 2016
    Female
    Samsung galaxy s4

5. svim

svim Android Expert

Dec 19, 2013
    Illinois
    The S4 is pretty easy to open up. The back cover can come off by sliding a fingernail into one edge and then just work your way around the edges to pry it off. It's a pretty thin plastic. The battery just pops out, there's no catch or release mechanism, it's just a friction fit. If it's a GSM model you'll want to remove the SIM card and if you've added a microSD card slide that out of its slot too. Put everything back into that bag of uncooked rice.
    Also, something to think about:
    http://smartphones.wonderhowto.com/...st-way-save-your-water-damaged-phone-0154799/

girolez likes this.
  6. Slug

Slug Check six!
    None

Aug 1, 2009
    Male
    Mobile phone retail
    Inverness, UK
    One caveat... certain chemicals used in household disinfectants may be damaging to the delicate PCBs and components. Drying it out may be the least of your worries. :(

The_Chief likes this.