1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I dub thee, slick.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ajdroidx, Dec 17, 2013.

1. ajdroidx

ajdroidx Android Expert

My last two nexii (one 2012 wifi, then 2012 HSPA) are gone. The first just powered off, never came back on, the hspa version just sucked, would not stay charged for nothing, it got passed around several times and ended up getting dropped and shattered the screen.

I mulled over the 2013 model for a while and ended up going for it when the white one was announced. I wanted something a little different. While I wanted an LTE model, the white was not available, so I figured this one would just be for tinkering, roms and the like without worry about toasting the radios or messing something up or what not. Hope this one kind of satisfies the need to tinker with my other devices :)

Well, it came in earlier today, I got around to opening it a little bit ago and it is super slick. Liked lubed up ice or something :eek:

Going to need a bumper or something for it, but in the mean time, I unlocked the thing, shoved TWRP on it, rooted and made a back up. I hope this one actually works for a while. After the bad luck with the other Nexus devices I have had (the phones have actually been pretty decent, aside from that Galaxy nexus I had (verizon) I am on edge.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. TexDaddy57

TexDaddy57 Well-Known Member

If it's anything like mine... (rooted 4.4.2), it is sweet. My 7 v2 is Wi-Fi only... battery lasts all day for me. Un like my galaxy nexus toro its a battery hog as you know, but mine was pretty bullet proof.
    Hope otterbox comes up with something, this'll be with me a few years..

3. Poetic cases are very nice, magnet shutoff, very thin but protective and cheap on Amazon! I just had my old 2012 7 repaired by Asus, total of three weeks and works like a charm now. Had the same issues as you also.

4. vzwuser76

vzwuser76 Android Expert

I've yet to hear of a white version of anything, tablet or phone, that doesn't have a slick texture to it. With the black version you get the soft touch back, while not rubbery feeling, does have some grip to it. With the white versions, you get a slick plastic back, similar to the feel of the Galaxy S3 back plate. Even the woven white back on the Moto X is slippery, which is one of the reasons I didn't go with the Developer Edition (this was before MotoMaker was available on Verizon and I wanted 32GB of storage, but the slick back, smaller battery , and no wireless charging drove me to the Maxx).

I believe HTC had a white kind of soft touch back in development on the 2012 One X model, but keeping it in a pair of jeans left it with a blueish hue with all the denim fuzzies sticking to the backing. That's the problem with a grippy surface and a light color, dirt and debris will attach itself and taint the intended color, making it look worse. Luckily, I prefer black, but in your situation a white or clear case would help.

Nexus 7 (2013) Forum

The Nexus 7 (2013) release date was July 2013. Features and Specs include a 7.0" inch screen, 5MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 3950mAh battery.

July 2013
Release Date
Reviews