• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I exchanged my Galaxy Nexus for a Rezound last night.

mountainlover

Android Enthusiast
Jun 14, 2010
NC
While the GN was really cool, it didn't function well as a phone where I needed it to. I had NO signal at all at work yesterday. Today I had 2-3 bars on my Rezound! Also, I haven't had any dropped calls with the Rezound. I wouldn't have returned it if I hadn't had signal problems, but I did and I must say the Rezound is a better choice for me.

A guy at work was telling me I should have gotten the Gnex when I bought the rezound. He picked up his Gnex the other day and was getting a lousy signal at work, where I get a very good signal and said he had basically no signal at his house. I teased him a bit, he just text to tell me he traded it for the white razr. I think he went with the razr just to spite me lol.

Upvote 0
I'm almost certain the signal issue on the G Nex is not as bad as it seems. I've had horrible signal according to db and also in the bars. However i've not had one dropped call while experiencing that. The 4.0.3 update is pushing a new radio file so we'll see.

However OP all that matters is that you get a phone that makes you and only you happy. So more power to you.

Upvote 0
I'm almost certain the signal issue on the G Nex is not as bad as it seems. I've had horrible signal according to db and also in the bars. However i've not had one dropped call while experiencing that.

For those who can't make a phone call and can't connect to the Internet, how much worse could it be? :thinking:

Upvote 0
I'm almost certain the signal issue on the G Nex is not as bad as it seems. I've had horrible signal according to db and also in the bars. However i've not had one dropped call while experiencing that. The 4.0.3 update is pushing a new radio file so we'll see.

However OP all that matters is that you get a phone that makes you and only you happy. So more power to you.

How good a signal do you need to complete a call? Where I would hate to have a deteriorated signal is when using the phone for data, not so much voice. What use is 4G if you can't connect at more than DSL speeds?

Upvote 0
While the GN was really cool, it didn't function well as a phone where I needed it to. I had NO signal at all at work yesterday. Today I had 2-3 bars on my Rezound! Also, I haven't had any dropped calls with the Rezound. I wouldn't have returned it if I hadn't had signal problems, but I did and I must say the Rezound is a better choice for me.

I looked at the GN and by far the Rezound is superior all around. As soon as we get updated to icecream sandwich all will be good. This device has been flawless so far besides the typical battery life of any 4 G device.

Upvote 0

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5254/investigating-the-galaxy-nexus-lte-signal-issue

Seems like one is just more accurate.

Upvote 0
I would say for me it's a choice between wanting ICS first with the GNex, and wanting a phone set up more like the way I prefer, and sense on he Rezound does just that.

I am not going to root, so I don't need the unlocked bootloader or development capabilities of the GNex.

I only wish I didn't have to wait until April to upgrade without paying full price. I'm not gonna do the ghost line thing, since my OG Droid is running awesome after I factory reset and don't update, much less use the Facebook app on my phone, which caused freeze-ups all the dang time!

Upvote 0
I upgraded from a Droid 2 to a Rezound on Nov 15, when the holiday extended exchange policy started. Loved everything about it except SenseUI (first time user of it, just not used to it yet). When the Nexus came out on Dec 15, I immediately exchanged for it, having looked forward to it for months. It's a wonderful device except that it didn't work. The signal issues are definitely not being exaggerated, but some units suffer them worse than others. I knew Google/Verizon would fix it, but instead of just getting low signals, I was getting full blown unusable signal, as indicated by all grey bars with no 3G/4G next to it. Between that and horrendous battery life it was causing, I had to make a decision: exchange it for another GNex and be patient or see if i could get back to a Rezound. While in the Verizon kiosk at a BJs, my phone lost reception completely. Meanwhile, the display unit Rezound was sitting there with a -64 dBm signal. Thankfully, a manager saw that this could be classified as a defect and let me move back the the Rezound. While the nexus was fun, the Rezound just plain worked. And is the other phone I'd really wanted, so I'm by no means settling. Sure, I'll miss the large screen size, pure ICS, etc... but at the end of the day, bells and whistles aside, a phone has the be a phone first. And this thing will be even better once ICS comes to it, either Sensified or pure if S-OFF ever comes. I miss the GNex, but in no way regret my decision. Esp considering I almost didn't give up my first Rezound for a GNex to begin with. Was on the fence for a while. One main upside is that we get to bypass the ICS growing pains for a while as we sit on a rock solid version of Gingerbread. And, in my case, my second Rezound actually has crimson colored soft keys as opposed to the pink glow of my first one. :D

Upvote 0
Took back a Nexus today, it had more problems than data issues!:eek: We were worried about our rezounds catching something from it. lol. Everyone quit talking about ICS and Rezound in the same sentence please. I have never got a phone that works so good ever. So until the bugs are worked out I don't want it on my rezounds.;)
I just want 2.3.5 so the browser will run a bit smoother.:D

Reactions: secretLOVER
Upvote 0
Wow -120 seems like a bad signal (based on 4G data signals I've seen). How is your 4G at that signal strength? What are your download speeds on speedtest? I don't think anyone's claiming it hinders voice calls. The issue is Data connectivity and speed.

haven't check that but i will tonight. I use wifi at home so data hasn't been an issue there.

-120 is a horrible signal btw lol but oh well.

Upvote 0
Packing up my nexus as im reading this post. Tried it for a few days and it has a lot of great features but I have to say you just can't beat the user friendly experience that i got from my incredible 2. I'm a tech nerd and loved playing with ics and some of the other features but I just don't feel like sitting around while the bugs are worked out. plus i have to say having the power button directly on the opposite side of the volume rocker became amazingly annoying. One of those things that makes you wonder how no one at samsung said "this isn't a good idea". I won't go into the other things that bugged me about the phone but i will say that the latest and greatest isn't always the best for a particular user. Either way I'm off to go pick up a rezound :)

Reactions: ptco911
Upvote 0
haven't check that but i will tonight. I use wifi at home so data hasn't been an issue there.

-120 is a horrible signal btw lol but oh well.

lol, you seem to be very elusive about the actual issue being reported. It's the 4G connectivity that's posing an issue. If you have no problems with Wifi at home then that means that you're using Wifi to connect the phone to data, unless you mean you're using Mobile Hotspot on 4G to test speeds.

The Nexus issues being reported remind me of the Thunderbolt issues being reported. You had people that were so in love with the Thunderbolt that they downplayed the actual issues. To me the issues were so frustrating that it didn't matter if I had a financial steak in HTC, I would've still insisted that there were problems, I did, and boy were there problems!

What you need to do is use the Nexus on 4G in areas that you had no problems with your Rezound. Report connectivity, download speeds, etc. I can imagine some people not wanting to find flaws in their new phone since it's like someone breaking up with their significant other to date a hot supermodel type only to find that their new squeeze has some flaws.

Look at it this way, you'll help people decide which phone will work best for them. As a guide you should be compelled to report factual testing! :p ;)

Reactions: leroybrute
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones