• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I feel conflicted (although there's nothing I can really do about it now anyways)

nekoki

Dec 13, 2009
TX
I returned the Moto Droid on day 29 because it was bulky, I worried about the slider mechanism (and barely ever used the physical keyboard), and because I was very envious of the Sense UI on the Eris. The biggest thing was that when I had to turn the phone off or the couple of times I had to do a battery pull, it took 5-10 minutes before the phone would let me make a call.
I have been pretty happy with the Eris as I love the physical buttons and the trackball and Sense UI and the form factor. But looking over the Droid threads on various forums, I do miss the beautiful screen and the quickness of the browser and changing between screens. I was a bit pissed that the software updates were after the exchange period for people who bought the phones when they came out.
It really doesnt matter I suppose as I am not able to exchange this phone out for anything else. I understand why Verizon doesnt let you exchange repeatedly but its so hard to know how well a phone will do for you until you use it for a while. Full price is always an option if a higher-end HTC comes out but my husband wouldnt be too thrilled with that I think. Thanks for anyone who is reading my ramblings.

Is your contract a new contract, or an upgrade?

If it is an upgrade, return the Eris and reactivate your old phone till something better comes out.

I'm in the same boat. Returned the Droid for the Eris, but I did not port my number over from AT&T. Towards the end of the 30 day period, it I don't like the Eris, I'll go back to my iPhone on dreadful AT&T, until Verizon releases a better Android phone.

Upvote 0
Is your contract a new contract, or an upgrade?

If it is an upgrade, return the Eris and reactivate your old phone till something better comes out.

I'm in the same boat. Returned the Droid for the Eris, but I did not port my number over from AT&T. Towards the end of the 30 day period, it I don't like the Eris, I'll go back to my iPhone on dreadful AT&T, until Verizon releases a better Android phone.

It's an upgrade. I was told by a couple of different VZW folks that even if I returned the Eris and reactivated my Curve I would no longer be eligible for the subsidized price as I have already returned one phone. So I figured if I had to pay full retail no matter what I might as well use the Eris until that time as it only cost me 99 to do so. And the thought of going back to my Curve even for a few days let alone an indefinite time makes me nauseas...

Upvote 0
There will be more updates for the eris i mean if you are that indecisive then you're never going to be happy as new phones come out all the time.

I know about the updates and that's why I am not bemoaning the lack of Google Nav and other features of Eclair. But you can't upgrade the screen size or processor, ya know what I mean? I don't feel like I am that indecisive. I know new phones come out all of the time. I loved my Curve for almost 2 years and the 8300 for two years before that. I have fallen in love with the Android OS and just wish the Moto and Eris could have a baby.

Upvote 0
I have fallen in love with the Android OS and just wish the Moto and Eris could have a baby.

Well said. I know the feeling... if they could have squeezed in a brawnier processor and a screen that's just a few hairs wider, with a bit better resolution, I'd be beyond thrilled with the Eris.

However, the way I look at it: this is my first Android phone, and coming from the iPhone, this was really the only one for me. IMO, The phone itself is aesthetically light years beyond the Droid (and just about everything else running Android right now), and the Sense UI made the switch from iPhone OS to Android absolutely painless for me.

The lack of processing power has irked me at times, but then, this thing is still consistently faster than my 3G was, even when doing relatively light multitasking (if I've got like a dozen apps running, then it bogs down to a crawl, obviously). As long as I'm somewhat conscientious about killing apps I'm not using every so often, it runs perfectly well.

The way I see it, I paid half of what I could have for a device that looks better, is easier to use, and fits in my pocket like an actual phone, not a plastic brick. Also, I have never--not once--had a good experience with a Motorola phone. I'm not saying the Droid is going to turn out as the next Razr or anything that terrible, I'm sure they're improving, but all the same, I'm much more comfortable with the HTC brand in my pocket, and I'm interested to see what we start hearing once the first wave of Droids reaches the year-old mark.

I have a year or two to get comfortable with Android, really learn the ins and outs, figure out for myself what I want/need out of an Android phone, rather than relying on the opinions of friends or forum members (no offense!) and then I can buy something that's truly leading-edge, that will actually fit my needs, after this contract is up.

Anyway, that's just my 2 cents... and if you still find yourself getting restless with your phone, do what I do: go download yourself a new background or two, add a few random widgets, rearrange your homescreen completely, and voila: a new phone for free!

And a last piece of advice: if you still miss the Droid, then whatever you do, stay away from the Droid-specific forums, man! That's asking for trouble--it's like going through all the pictures on your ex-girlfriend's facebook page. Guaranteed to upset you sooner or later :)

Upvote 0
Is the Eris really that much slower than the Droid? Most people that switched said the difference isn't really that big of a deal.

been debating on exchanging to the moto droid and i just played with one at the verizon store.. i was shocked to notice that i didn't realize a difference in speed (which is what i'd paid for, not the brick looking thing nor the cheap slider) -- its more prevelant in the senseUI, its so smooth compared to the home screen of the moto droid. if you really think .03 seconds is worth getting rid of a sexy looking phone, then go for it. but the difference in speed? nah. dont get your hopes up.

Upvote 0
There will be more updates for the eris i mean if you are that indecisive then you're never going to be happy as new phones come out all the time.

major point here, you think you'll be so happy if you just wait and get the 'newest phone' .. but then a few weeks later u hear about another 'newest phone'.. its endless. wait your whole life for the best and greatest and your never going to enjoy your 'newest phone'... that make sense? :)

Upvote 0
HTC is supposed to be releasing a beefier version of the Eris named the Passion that should be out in a month or two, so I have read on engadget. It looks to be similar in design but have the snapdragon processor.
I hate that I feel like phones are now similar to computers, i.e as soon as you get one, there is another one coming out that is better making your phone obsolete. the big problem is that if I want to upgrade my phone I have to pay as much as a new higher end computer or get stuck with Verizon's ever increasing ETF. Grrr....

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones