• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I forgot my unlock pattern! Help!

Neon_Rose

Lurker
Apr 12, 2013
Okay, so I had recently changed my unlock pattern on my phone...but I totally shouldn't have. I forget a LOT of things, so OF COURSE I forgot my pattern. After I guessed it wrong too many times, it told me to enter my google username and password. I did both of those, but it won't take it. I entered my email(username) correctly, and my password! I know I did because I can log onto my google account on my computer just fine. I need HELP! :thinking::(

Hello Neon_Rose - welcome to the forums!

As long as you have either WiFi or 3G enabled on your phone, after a fixed number of incorrect entries your phone should prompt you for the password for the gmail account the phone is registered to. If that doesn't work, shut off the phone, log into the gmail account on a website and change the password using Google's password recovery. Once the new password is confirmed, turn on the phone and try using the new password.

If you don't have either WiFi/3G enabled, then you would have to go with Brian's solution of a factory reset.

Hope you manage to get your phone sorted!! :)

Upvote 0
I do have the 2 step verification, but my WiFi isn't on. Guess I'll have to reset my phone to factory default. Anybody know how to do that?

If you have the 2 step verification set up, either turn it off (from the computer side and give it a few minutes to register) and try to enter the normal password.
Or, generate an application specific password (again, from the computer side) and use that on the device instead of your normal password.:)
If your wifi is off, the device should just use data normally.

Upvote 0
I do have the 2 step verification, but my WiFi isn't on. Guess I'll have to reset my phone to factory default. Anybody know how to do that?

You may want to hold out but here are the instructions.

I can't remember if your device has a removable battery. I don't think so but if it does, do a battery pull, if it doesn't hold the power button for about 10-15 seconds to power down. This will simulate a battery pull.

Then hold the volume down button and tap the power button. Continue holding volume down until your bootloader screen appears.

Then use the volume keys to navigate to "factory reset" and tap the power button to select factory reset. Your phone should be back to it's out of the box state in a couple minutes.

You will lose everything (except sd card contents) so if possible, try to see if anyone has any other suggestions. If you're desperate then I guess it'll have to do...

Reactions: scotty85 and Sepero
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones