1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Root I forgot to do a Nandroid Backup...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Dienime, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Dienime

Dienime New Member

Sep 28, 2010
    I forgot to do a Nandroid Backup on my Eris before rooting and now I need to get back to stock.

I tried the PC-based firmware fix, but it doesn't work for some reason :/

I did at one point stumble upon a Nandroid backup someone had made for the Hero - it worked, but, of course, not well, since it's an Eris, not a Hero.

This makes me wonder - can't someone else just send me their Nandroid backup and I'll restore from that?

If that's possible, can someone do that for me?

Advertisement

2. Podivin

Podivin Well-Known Member

Nov 29, 2009
    Jacksonville, Fl
  3. kobel1up

kobel1up Well-Known Member

Jan 18, 2010
    student
    Miamisburg, ohio
    That is very true on personal info, but what if you just flashed a rom didn't sign in and power down did a nandroid. Of course why can't he just flash a new rom? Now if you rooted and can't get to the home screen and can't install a rom to the root of the sdcard, I can see where you may need a nand, but that would mean you erased the zip off the sdcard.

Now that this has been asked, I could send a friend a nandroid before I do all the sign in then it is just a restore on his phone. That would save him time if in a hurry or just real lazy. The bad thing is I have too much time on my hands.

4. doogald

doogald Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
  5. erisuser1

erisuser1 Well-Known Member

Nov 11, 2009
    I agree with mhotovec that the link he provided will both get you back to stock and be slightly better than restoring a Nandroid backup, because the latter will not restore the factory recovery boot, whereas the former does.

OTOH, (for the record) a properly-performed Nandroid backup need not divulge any personal info: the person that has the backup can:

0) First, make a Nandroid backup of whatever is on their phone.
    1) Restore the desired backup onto their own phone.
    2) Wipe data/factory reset.
    3) Make a Nandroid backup of that.
    4) Restore the Nandroid backup from step 0, and then give the backup created in step 3 to the second party.

All private data is stored in /data, and performing a "Wipe data/factory reset" in Amon_RA expunges it.

Nevertheless, the link that mhotovec provided is a better idea if you are trying to return the phone to a true factory state (because it replaces the recovery boot with the factory version also).

eu1

6. DDustiNN

DDustiNN Well-Known Member

Dec 10, 2009
    You can flash the FlashBack ROM, or you can find the official Verizon RUU .exe file. That's what I used to unroot my phone the other day and it was very simple... just plug the phone into the computer, run the .exe file, and wait. 5-10 mins later, your phone is back to stock.

Also, just a side note... I don't believe you can do a nandroid backup before rooting anyway, so don't fret about "forgetting" it ;)

7. Dienime

Dienime New Member

Sep 28, 2010

THANK YOU!

I've been looking all over for something like this and had assumed it didn't exist. This worked perfectly!