• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I found out the reason I and others are needing to exchange their EPICs

I came to this conclusion when I asked an employee at Radio Shack why none of the 5 different EPICs I've owned over the course of 1 month were had either cosmetic or software defects, and the employee told me that they are all like that. They're made that way!

All epics where made this way:thinking: maybe a bad batch:D.....but not all epics have defects. Time for u to go to a different store..if not return it back and get a different phone other than the epic, that's if u believe what the salesperson told you. Which i think hes full of crap.And u are to if u believe him.

Upvote 0
Without throwing stones @ the EVO - I'm come to the conclusion that be it EPIC, EVO, Droid 2, Droid X, i-Phone, and their successors - there is no such thing as a perfect phone. Each will be what works best for the individual - or what the individual chooses to use. At this point - "Pick your poison".

BTW - something faster and better will be out "tomorrow", and they won't be perfect either.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
That one and the 5 that I've owned over the course of the past month.

We see many reports posted around the various device forums of visually defective units repeatedly returned for another with similar or the same issues.

I often wonder why a buyer would leave a store with a visually defective phone, although I suppose it is common these days for some to not inspect what was just purchased prior to taking it home.

Upvote 0
We see many reports posted around the various device forums of visually defective units repeatedly returned for another with similar or the same issues.

I often wonder why a buyer would leave a store with a visually defective phone, although I suppose it is common these days for some to not inspect what was just purchased prior to taking it home.

I'll admit I could have been more observant the first couple of times around. I never had problems like this in the past, so one the first two I didn't think to do an inspection. For my third and fourth ones, they were exchange not due to visual defects, but a defect with the battery. A Radio Shack employee told me that 5% of EPICs have this problem. I actually inspected my last exchange. The visual defects on the QWERTY keyboard are hard to notice unless the keyboard's backlight is on and you are under low-light conditions.

Upvote 0
a defect with the battery. A Radio Shack employee told me that 5% of EPICs have this problem.

and what is this battery defect? the actual battery? or the drain problem that a workaround is already being used?

if it is the actual battery, how come it hasn't been mentioned on any forum i have read?

and again, this Radio Shack employee...5% of all Epics have this problem, huh? would love to see his source, hopefully a tech release or white paper from Samsung.

if i was a Radio Shack employee, would you believe everything I have said in this thread?

Upvote 0
and what is this battery defect? the actual battery? or the drain problem that a workaround is already being used?

if it is the actual battery, how come it hasn't been mentioned on any forum i have read?

and again, this Radio Shack employee...5% of all Epics have this problem, huh? would love to see his source, hopefully a tech release or white paper from Samsung.

if i was a Radio Shack employee, would you believe everything I have said in this thread?

It's the software that tells you how much battery life you have left, and it sometimes fails to recognize that the battery is even inserted into the device.

Upvote 0
Every phone has a bunch of manufacturing issues. Evo had separating glass, cracked charger ports and cracked power buttons, screen "wash outs"... Hero had... Moment had... E71 had....

Find the phone that world best for you (regardless of what it may be). Just remember that NO phone is going to be exactly perfect.

If everyone would think like you do Kelmar.... OMG this world would be a better place!

Upvote 0
After the considering how no phone is perfect, I've decided to keep my current EPIC (number 5). It's the best of the 5 I've had and I realized that if I look hard enough for any minute flaw in a phone, I'm going to always find one, and I'd never stop exchanging. The flaw right now is only noticeable under certain lighting and only if you tilt the phone to look at it, so I decided that this one is good enough.

However, if the battery fail happens on this one (which it hasn't as of yet), then that changes everything.

Upvote 0
+1. mentioned that in other rant threads without any good replies. Inspect your phone. Give it a once over. Send some texts or emails and so on. Then leave when you're happy with it. I once went through three Centros before getting one without a crooked screen. The rep was annoyed but came around after staring at a crooked screen for a few minutes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones