• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I gave up

Hi all, This sounds really dumb but I gave up trying to root my hero. I downgraded to the .5 as instructed. No problem. I installed the required programs, the sync,hero root, etc. connected to computer as instructed for command prompt but it would not read phone. I could not get past that stage. I went through all of the faq file, responses etc but i kept getting the response no a valid source,file. Forget exact wording. My command prompt kept showing document/setting nothing about phone. I'm really a newbie and thought I could do this. Thanks again for everyone's attempt but I just give up.:mad:

On your hero is USB debugging on? Are the drivers for the phone installed? Did just extract/unzip the Android SDK or did you actually install it? If possible can you post the exact message you are receiving when it fails.

Upvote 0
Hi all, This sounds really dumb but I gave up trying to root my hero. I downgraded to the .5 as instructed. No problem. I installed the required programs, the sync,hero root, etc. connected to computer as instructed for command prompt but it would not read phone. I could not get past that stage. I went through all of the faq file, responses etc but i kept getting the response no a valid source,file. Forget exact wording. My command prompt kept showing document/setting nothing about phone. I'm really a newbie and thought I could do this. Thanks again for everyone's attempt but I just give up.:mad:

You have 1 post.... Instead of telling us that you give up and trying to get sympathy responses, why don't you ask us for help. Everyone here is more than happy to help and assist in anyway.

Now to your problem - What do you mean it won't "read" the phone? Are you saying that your computer won't recognize that an HTC Hero is connected to your computer, or are you saying that the PreKitchen is having trouble?

-Kevin

Upvote 0
I was not looking for sympathy. Just my frustration. I have already put everything back to the 2.27.651.6. Reloaded my apps. If the system moderator reads this just delete my post. Sorry

You know you can back up your applications, right? That way we can work through your problem and you can just restore all your apps when we get it working.

-Kevin

Upvote 0
everyone on this forum is amazing to ask questions. Remeber, everyone on here was once in your shoes. The people that helped me through the rooting process, the people that helped them through the rooting process, and so on. People log on to this forum to help and to be helped with stuff like this. if you were wasting their time, they wouldnt be on the forum. if rooting is something you want to do, and i highly recommend it, pipe up and start asking. i think youll be surprised at the level of help you get on here. trust me, when i say that 2 weeks ago, i knew about as much about rooting and flashing roms as i do about string theory, im not kidding. ask away, youre not wasting anyones time

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones