1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

I give up trying to root my desire

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by darthlinux, Feb 3, 2011.

1. darthlinux

darthlinux Well-Known Member

Hi All

Back when I first got my Desire it was running Android 2.1 which I managed to root using Unrevoked, but then a few days later I had an OTA update to 2.2, which I downloaded and it installed fine, so since then 2.2 had been running great and my bootloader was upgraded to 0.93, now I am getting sick of the lack of internal memory, so I decided I will try and root again and this is when the issues started, what I did was -

Download and installed the USB drivers (All ok)
    Ran Unrevoked as admin on Windows 7 (sat waiting for device)
    Installed the SDK for android (all went in ok)

I keep getting yellow excalmation mark next to ADB in device manager, and I am just stuck and I can't work out any way round this.

So shall I give up or has someone got work around for this.

Any help would be great.

PS I have tryed doing the fix that someone post to do with the device ID and that didn't work

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Remind me what happened when you tried to run adb shell from command prompt again please?

3. darthlinux

Nothing really as I got confused, it just didn't do anything.

4. SUroot

OK now have you already got the drivers downloaded?

Try right click on the adb device in device manager > Update drivers then browse to where you downloaded the drivers to.

darthlinux likes this.
  5. darthlinux

I have tryed that and it couldn't find any drivers.

6. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Get the drivers from the unrEVOked website and use them, although you could just install HTC Sync and then uninstall it leaving the drivers (which should be on before running unrEVOked)

darthlinux likes this.
  7. darthlinux

Should I be using a goldcard aswell?

8. SUroot

You dont need it for the rooting process but if your desire is (or ever was) branded, then you would be best to keep one for recovery purposes, further down the line.

9. darthlinux

Ok I had little progress last night, I download HTC Sync and installed it and my PC wouldn't see my phone, so I went on and uninstalled sync, put my phone in charge only mode and unrevoked still said wait for device but when I changed it to HTC sync bang unrevoked started to run, after the first reboot in the unrevoked sequence I had the error communcation to phone was lost, as I checked it was in charge only mode which unrevoked doesn't regonise, what the hell am I doing wrong, btw got rid of the ADB error.

10. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member

Did u switch usb debugging on?

11. SUroot

Try rebooting everything (and yes ensure USB debugging is enabled) and reconnect to try again. Glad you're geting closer. Like you did, you do need to install and uninstall htc sync.

How did you get rid of the adb error? With the drivers?

12. darthlinux

I think I have been a utter noob and didn't turn on USB debugging lol, I will try again tonight, the ADB error went after I install HTC Sync and Uninstalled it. I will try with USB debugging tonight and hopefully my next post will be, I HAVE ROOTED MY DESIRE.

13. darthlinux

I finally have it working, apart from titanium backup saying I don't have root access when I do. actually have it working just had to install busy box

14. EddyOS

EddyOS Android Expert

Click the 'problems' button at the bottom and then the fix button - its a busybox issue

15. Red_Avatar

Red_Avatar Well-Known Member

Yes, I had this problem. HTC Sync provides the HTC Desire drivers. The amount of guides out there that strongly speak against installing HTC Sync, mean a LOT of people will end up with this problem since it's the last thing they'll try unless someone tells them drivers remain installed.

It took me 4 hours to get it rooted because of a myriad of similar issues - getting the ADB drivers took a while and then Unrevoked kept refusing to flash claiming my firmware was too new (and it wasn't). So it could be any of the 50 apps I had so I started uninstalling the ones I didn't need (note: I wanted to backup all the app data which requires root). In the end, after removing 20 or so apps, it still gave the error so I had to do a factory reset, meaning I lost all my app data anyway :mad:

Shows you, best to root early on or you risk losing a lot of info. Thank god for Google sync - didn't lose my contacts or callender stuff.

16. barefootpilot

barefootpilot Well-Known Member

When I rooted I followed a guide which said is was much easier to do through linux. Downloaded a CD image and booted my laptop into linux, plugged in a usb stick with unrevoked (for linux) on it and had it done in minutes.

Sounds like this is easier than the Windows route.

17. snowwhite

snowwhite Well-Known Member

Lol easy done mate glad i could help

HTC Desire Forum

Features and specs are not yet known.

unknown
Release Date
Reviews