• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I got a call from VZW's President's office!

JuicyJones

Jul 13, 2010
Ann Arbor, MI
I sent an e-mail complaining about the lack of communication from VZW to the customers regarding Android 2.2 and its release. This morning, I got a message from a guy that works within the President's office. And he left me his direct number. I called him back and mentioned that the communication between VZW and the customers has been very bad and we would like to stay informed on the development or the timetable on software updates.

He apologized over and over and told me that its hard to give a definite release date because they will get a build from HTC try it out, if something is wrong send it back w/ error notes, and wait for a new build. He said that VZW has been going back and forth with HTC and until a PERFECT build is available, there is no way to give a release date. He said that there is a build that has been being tested, if all goes well we could see 2.2 before Friday, but he's not trying to make any promise because there's always bumps in the road that cause updates to get pushed back. So even though he didn't say a whole lot, I'm glad I finally got to talk to someone who know what the hell was going on.

facepalm.jpg

Upvote 0
It wasn't an e-mail that I was sent, this was all said over the phone. If you guys want, e-mail the President of VZW at this link Executive Leadership

I was real polite and cooperative in the e-mail, then they sent me an e-mail asking for my phone number, a few days later I have a voice mail. I called his direct line back and talked to him. Told me to save his number and to give him a call if there's anything else that customer service can't answer for me.

Upvote 0
Oh, I'm not expecting anything until after the Droid 2 is released. They're going to use 2.2 as a way to sell the Droid 2, which doesn't make any sense considering the EVO already has it on Sprint.

Now that the Moto Droid has 2.2, I thought this rumor would go away. I know that was NKT's original thought, but it never seemed right to me. It isn't a big selling point when the Nexus and Evo already have it, and everyone who understands these phones know that they'll be getting it. Plus, it would also be a clear message that Verizon is intentionally holding back an update which fixes big issues on our HTC phone to boost sales of a Motorola phone. That would be a great way for Verizon to snub HTC and lose their support. Playing favorites when it comes to big industry is asking for lawsuits...

Upvote 0
He said that there has been numerous tentative dates that have not been met. He mentioned that there's probably leaks of the builds that they rejected floating around the internet but he would recommend them because they were rejected for a reason. I talked to him for like 20 mins, nice guy.

They were rejected because they were not crippled the way VZW wants it... i have been using the 2.2 leak for a week now and i see no problems with it at all.

Upvote 0
They were rejected because they were not crippled the way VZW wants it... i have been using the 2.2 leak for a week now and i see no problems with it at all.

And I'm sure you've put it through every potential test scenario that VZW can conceive of. There's nothing under the sun that you haven't tested for. :rolleyes:

Lets face it, the few individuals, (and given the number of units sold, the percentage running leaked builds is probably quite small), they have found a number of issues and they probably don't have the extensive testing database that VZW would have accumulated over the time they have been doing this.

Upvote 0
I e-mailed the President of Verizon too, complaining about the lack of communication.

Here is what I received back:

---

Dear Mr. ******,

Thank you for your recent e-mail to Mr. Lowell McAdam, President and CEO
of Verizon Wireless.

Kindly respond to this message with your Verizon Wireless account number
or mobile telephone number as well as daytime contact information so a
member of our staff can assist you.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Steve Schwartzman

Verizon Wireless

Headquarters

Executive Office

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Saturday, July 31, 2010 7:43 PM
To: HQExec, Relations
Subject: Froyo (2.2) for Droid Incredible... (to Lowell McAdam)

So we have heard about Froyo (Android 2.2) updates for the original
Droid, the Droid X, and competitors such as Sprint's Evo 4G. But what
about the Droid Incredible? The community is up in arms about this.
Don't leave us out...

---

So there you have it, I guess it is possible to get in contact with these people. I haven't replied because I think it is weird that they are asking for my info instead of giving me theirs.

Upvote 0
So there you have it, I guess it is possible to get in contact with these people. I haven't replied because I think it is weird that they are asking for my info instead of giving me theirs.

Two reasons, I can think of. 1) I'm sure they need to schedule the time for whomever to call you. 2) They don't want you spreading the phone number around boards like this and them getting tons of unsolicited calls.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones