1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root I gots some questions . . .

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by CYNICALifornia, Jun 17, 2010.

1. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Android Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Male
    Special Ed
    Palmdale, Ca
    Hi party people. Seems there is a lot of knowledge floating around here, and I'm glad of it. I just graduated yesterday from my first smartphone (Palm Pre) THE smartphone. I am in love, and am wondering why I waited so long to hit up Android.

I did developer mode and all that jazz on my Pre, but feel a little overwhelmed on all this rooting talk, so if you can, answer a few questions for me.

1) If I root without flashing a new or even rooted ROM will that give me access to delete ring/alert/alarm tones from the system folders and replace them with my own?

2) If I do choose to flash a new ROM will I have to manually update my phone? Will this require a flash ROM each time?

3) I spent a really long time getting my scenes just the way I like them yesterday, is there any way to save and transfer them to my new flashed ROM?

4) I totally see the appeal, but why wouldn't I want to install a new ROM?

Thanks,
    ~Tom

Advertisement

2. NovaFox238

NovaFox238 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    My opinions. ^_^

3. theebrownieee

theebrownieee Lurker

Jun 14, 2010
    not trying to jack the thread but i have a question that kind of is along these lines.

I have a completely rooted phone right now... my question is what happens if i accidently reformated my sd card when it was attached to the computer?

4. CYNICALifornia

CYNICALifornia Android Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010
    Male
    Special Ed
    Palmdale, Ca
    Alright, I bit the bullet and am rooted and working on installing the rooted ROM.

Now, do I need to keep the ROM files, both the one I renamed and the Stock Rooted ROM? or can I delete them?

5. mrk

mrk Android Enthusiast

Apr 20, 2010
    Intern w/ UTeach
    Austin, TX.
    thebrownieee: I dunno. Try it?

CYNICALifornia: You can delete them.

6. NovaFox238

NovaFox238 Well-Known Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Then my friend, you would have a completly formatted SDcard... LOL no but really, it shouldnt affect anything unless your using a ROM that stores data on it. (readable data anyway)

and @CYNICALifornia, yes, you can delete them you will be fine.

Tags: