• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate Android keyboards

tuffluck

Jul 16, 2012
i have a galaxy s3.

i'm a fast typer, but fast in the sense that i type out my entire thought letter by letter. i don't like the apps like swiftkey where if you type the word "hrllo" and obviously meant to type "hello," you have to select the word "hello" from a list instead of the phone being smart enough to change it for you. i want an app that sees common typos and changes them asap for you. why is that so hard?

i tried go keyboard, which was about the best thing for fixing 1 letter mistakes in typing of all the keyboards i've tried using so far. problem with go is that the editing of that thing is freaking horrendous. if you type a sentence and your cursor is at the end of the sentence but notice a mistake at the beginning of the sentence, the only way to get your cursor to the error is to select an entire word and delete it. otherwise if you select the area and start typing, all of your typing goes to the end of the sentence. i have no idea at all why this process is so ridiculous.

i paid for thumb keyboard on my tablet, but it doesn't work well with phones.

i tried swype, not my thing.

now i'm on iphone emulator. so far seems to be the best, but the keys are way too huge.

is there anything else you guys could suggest for keyboards? i have a windows 7 phone before this and it was so incredibly awesome for fast typers. if i wrote, "boy i wush i hsd a phine that cold typee wel fir me" it would write "boy i wish i had a phone that could type well for me." that's all i want! (for the record i don't actually type this badly, but i hate any typos in texting, even if it's woukd instead of would!).

thanks for any help.

But you have to select the prediction. It doesn't correct as you type...

Just hit the space bar or punctuate and the correction is applied. I send the same text to my wife many days telling her which train I'm on coming home. All I do now is press I and 4 spaces and I have "I'm on the 4:27". Several more spaces will add "need me to pick anything up?" It's kind of spooky.

Upvote 0
Its just not for me. I prefer to type everything I am thinking vs having a list of predictions for me to choose from. If only it could autocorrect the slight misspells here and there. Too many keyboards are trying to get too fancy with predictions and have forgotten how to do what once was the simplest of all correctins. I mean corrections. I had to type it twice because...well, you know.

Upvote 0
Holy shit. I just found the setting "space bar will always" and I selected "complete the current word." Then I tried it and typed something super duper fast. And Swiftkey got it all exactly right. And then I had an orgasm. Thanks guys!

I've had this phone for however long since it's debut and have hated android because I've had this problem so much. I feel a little dumb. Or if you had asked me minutes before I fixed the problem, I felt really dimb.

Upvote 0
Swiftkey is my number one favorite paid app. I've tried all the stock keyboards up to 4.2 and I still like it better.
One thing I've gotten used to is instead of hitting the space key, hit the word choice instead. I rarely use the space key anymore. Another tip is you can type a string of words without hitting the space key and it will figure it out for you. :)

Upvote 0
+1 for SwiftKey, always tried loads of different keyboards but always went back to the HTC Stock keyboard but tried SwiftKey and it is simply amazing.

My phone is in for repair at the moment so using an old HTC and the typing now is just painful because I've got so used to being lazy with my fingers and SwiftKey correcting me that I've pretty much forgotten how to type :D

Upvote 0
Holy shit. I just found the setting "space bar will always" and I selected "complete the current word." Then I tried it and typed something super duper fast. And Swiftkey got it all exactly right. And then I had an orgasm. Thanks guys!

I've had this phone for however long since it's debut and have hated android because I've had this problem so much. I feel a little dumb. Or if you had asked me minutes before I fixed the problem, I felt really dimb.

You're not alone. I've felt dumb quite a few times in the last 40 years. After a while you stop caring.

Upvote 0
For some odd reason swiftkey is as bloody annoying as the Apple Newton's handwriting recognition for me. I tend to be more proficient using voice type (mic icon on keyboard ) than dealing with touch typing on a tablet or smartphone. Sadly that is only useful In quiet settings. In public I tend to get the crazy person look from folks when talking to my phone kinda like those with microscopic Bluetooth headsets

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones