1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I hate Google....no wait, I love Google

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Doit2it, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Doit2it

Doit2it Android Expert
    None

Oct 23, 2009
    Male
    FedEx... yea, those guys
    Nashville, TN
    I was editing a contact on my Droid X today. It contains about 30 lines of notes I use on a regular basis. Something happened and when I pressed save, the screen flashed and went back to contacts. I went back into the contact to confirm the change and there was an error message that the contact contained no future information. ALL my notes were gone!

Fine, I'll wait till I get home, go to Verizon's Backup Assistant on the website and restore the contact. BA ONLY backs up contacts created on the phone. I only have 22 contacts I created on the phone that BA handles. The other 186 were created in Gmail, and BA never sees those apparently. Thanks Verizon for the false sense of security!

I go to Gmail on my desktop, check the contact, yep, it's empty. So I start looking around. Import would work, but I never exported my contacts, or if I did it was so long ago I have no idea where the file is on my system. I keep looking under "More Actions" and there is a "Restore contacts..."

I now know Google backs up all your contacts every day for the past 30 days. I just restored my contacts from yesterday and I got my notes back!

Whew!

Advertisement

mfzero likes this.
  2. MutantCheese

MutantCheese Android Expert
    None

May 17, 2010
    Edge of Insanity
    Thant's good to know. Thanks for the info.