• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I hate "mobile sites." How to view same as on PC?

Is there any way to make websites think my phone is a desktop computer? Permanently?

I absolutely hate being automatically directed to mobile sites which often have less functionality than the regular websites.

I prefer mobile sites on my mobile, but if there is a need to get the full desktop, the option is there 2 clicks away, reason for my preference is if you are in a bad data area the browser doesn't have to load the full page 1st. Stock browser is my preference but hey, theres alot of choice out there.

Upvote 0
I've only tried the stock browser and Firefox, and using both of those you have to go to the site, press the menu button and then check the 'request desktop site' option....which is a bit of a pain.

Do any of the browsers just have a universal option for viewing sites in desktop mode, rather than having to select it for each individual site? The stock browser on my old phone running 2.2 had this feature, it seems bizarre that they seem to have taken a step backwards and removed that feature in later versions?!

Upvote 0
I've only tried the stock browser and Firefox, and using both of those you have to go to the site, press the menu button and then check the 'request desktop site' option....which is a bit of a pain.

Do any of the browsers just have a universal option for viewing sites in desktop mode, rather than having to select it for each individual site? The stock browser on my old phone running 2.2 had this feature, it seems bizarre that they seem to have taken a step backwards and removed that feature in later versions?!

Boat is my preferred browser. It has that feature.

Upvote 0

Dolphin has a permanent desktop mode.

Upvote 0
With a screen like this phone has, mobile sites just aren't important to me.

bingo, not to mention that when you are used to viewing a site on a pc or laptop, it's a pain to pull up a site and suddenly everything is different. If I pull up a site, I want to see that site, not some alternate version that they think is better for my device (and it isn't). These days most people that peruse the internet on their phone a lot have fast mobile connections. I think it's less about website caring about our download speeds and more about them trying to save bandwidth cost with stripped down versions

Upvote 0
Use a different browser. I prefer Dolphin but Firefox and boat are also popular.
Chrome is another choice but if I remember correctly, it doesn't support flash.

I had assumed that all browsers would act the same in this regard, but I guess not. I tried both and right now I'm sticking with firefox. You still have to make sure that you have "request desktop site" selected, but it seems to be working. thanks

Upvote 0
scratch that. looks like the request desktop option in firefox does not stay selected, so I have to constantly re select it. What's worse is that on many sites, when you select it, it redirects to the home page of the site instead of the page you are on. There should defeinitely be an option for alwys requesting desktop site in the settings, but there isn't. So I'm still looking for a solution

Upvote 0
I may try to live with Dolphin then. I didn't really like dolphin for various other reasons, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to.

It's the only browser I use, and I've tried many.
Although the update brought back flash, they broke privacy mode and sometimes links don't open unless you open the link in a new tab.

I have contacted them about the issues, they're working on it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones