• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help I hate my samsung galaxy s

im really starting to hate my SGS, the reason for this is that i have no clue how to flash, root and do all the rest of the technical stuff. i got my phone last september and got told the update would be available within 2 months, and guess what? its febuary and its still not here. really thinking about selling my samsung and getting another phone. I like android but whats the point if i havent got the latesest version.

There's no reason to hate a phone solely on the fact that you don't know how to hack it, if that is the case, you will hate EVERY phone with android.
Like T sport says, it's not Samsung that are causing the problems, it's your carrier.

Samsung released every update they promised, I am also running the official 2.2.1 release because I have an unbranded handset and it performs MUCH better than the 2.1 or 2.2 releases.
I would advise in future that you always try to get an unbranded handset as carriers bloat them out with their own useless software, and as you have found out, are slow with updates. One way to do this is go to a third party outlet when you wish to renew your contract, for example Carphone Warehouse in the UK.

There is plenty of information on this forum on how to root/lagfix the galaxy s, XDA developers is also a great forum for information on this subject, you just need to search.

Upvote 0
im really starting to hate my SGS, the reason for this is that i have no clue how to flash, root and do all the rest of the technical stuff. i got my phone last september and got told the update would be available within 2 months, and guess what? its febuary and its still not here. really thinking about selling my samsung and getting another phone. I like android but whats the point if i havent got the latesest version.

Where do you live? Froyo came out officially in October.

Upvote 0
i too hate my galaxy s phone. i have had it a total of two days and it has been a nightmare to try to use. kies never works (4 version, disc format, 8 downloads) three computers dont recognise it, media player sees it then doesnt, my computer sees it then doesnt, my outlook is to old for gmail to sync with........ endless list of things not right. i hate my galaxy s because it should be a an easy phone to use and yet it isnt. it should be a phone made by a company that can produce software but it isnt. a complete and total consumer disappointment. a completely useless phone as far as i am concerned. i have spent 11 hours just trying to use it. constant frustration. piss poor useless product. i will never recommend them and i will never ever buy get one again. nothing on this useless piece of crap works. **** samsung for putting this piece of garbage on the market.

Upvote 0
i too hate my galaxy s phone. i have had it a total of two days and it has been a nightmare to try to use. kies never works (4 version, disc format, 8 downloads) three computers dont recognise it, media player sees it then doesnt, my computer sees it then doesnt, my outlook is to old for gmail to sync with........ endless list of things not right. i hate my galaxy s because it should be a an easy phone to use and yet it isnt. it should be a phone made by a company that can produce software but it isnt. a complete and total consumer disappointment. a completely useless phone as far as i am concerned. i have spent 11 hours just trying to use it. constant frustration. piss poor useless product. i will never recommend them and i will never ever buy get one again. nothing on this useless piece of crap works. **** samsung for putting this piece of garbage on the market.

It sounds to me like you have a bum unit. Perhaps you should get it replaced. Try not to let frustration get the better of you, it's a great phone.

Upvote 0
Dude don't hate the phone just cuz you never figured out how to root, flash, or do any other technical thing to it. If you like android like you said, you have the right phone. Just get on Google and explore a bit there are tons of tutorial on how to do stuff on the phone. Email me if you decide to learn something.

Upvote 0
So apart from kies, what problems do you have with the phone itself?
It's like any other piece if tech or o/s, it takes a while to get used to it.
Before you dismiss it completely ask the community for help, we are always here and more than willing to give advice.
Granted, Kies is crap but you really don't need it anyway.

Upvote 0
ok i do not actually hate the phone. but i am annoyed that the phone (i include in this term the physical unit and the software) is not meeting my expectations nor is it working as implied. i was told 'it will sync with outlook'. it doesn't sync with outlook. period. i was told you can use gmail to sync it. you cant unless you have the outlook version that gmail specifies. so it failed on those two points. it failed to work as a package. my consumer expectations have not been met. i cannot just turn on my phone, load some software and use the phone as suggested. i have no idea what flashing a rom is. why would i need to know?. i don't need to know how my car engine e.c.u works or how it does what it does. i don't buy a 2nd hand and assume it is flawed because it is not the latest model. i don't expect a 2003 holden Astra to be as fast or efficient as a newer model. but i do expect to be able to drive on exactly the same roads and highways and i do expect that i can actually use the highways and not be unable to use the highways because i don't have the latest model car. nor would i buy a car with 3 doors welded shut because the manufacturer or previous owner decided on a whim that this is how i will be allowed to use it.
i have trawled the forums for three days now. i am not a tech savvy person. nor am i particularly computer savvy. a computer is a tool i use to carry our my wishes. my outlook program is perfectly suited to what i need. why should i have to buy the latest version just to cater to Google's restrictions ?. I used to have an imate jamin. great phone. i plug it into the computer, the computer 'sees' it and i can do whatever i want to it. i can move files with three mouse clicks to wherever i want. it synced automatically. that phone performed, as a phone and system, perfectly.
i have no interest in figuring out what is wrong with the phone. the 'system' (phone and software) failed. i have asked for the contract to be cancelled but as usual optus said '**** you, we have your signature'. My expectations on two levels have not been met. The phone has now been sent in for repair and i have stated that i will take the phone home and try the software. if the software fails i will bring the phone straight back until the problem is fixed. I feel perfectly justified in this. The 'phone' is one component in a system exactly the same way that a two burner camping stove is part of a system. it would be ridiculous to complain 'my burner doesnt work because you didnt tell me i had to buy a gas bottle, leads and a regulator'. i would, however, be perfectly justified in complaining if a pipe was faulty and leaking gas. It is moronic to suggest the system is not faulty because the other two components were working. the 'system' is not fulfilling its function. why is it except-able to imply i am being somehow picky or childish if i apply the same consumer expectations to a mobile phone. the phone cost much much more therefore my expectations are higher and so will my disappointment be if the system fails to function
Ok annoyed rant over with.
I have used kies about 8 times over the last two days. i have downloaded the software directly from samsung. at no time has any of the kies packages worked. they have however installed. but every time i try to use the software i get an error message and an offer to send the error to ms. i have tried each of the kies packages on three different computers. a desktop (xp), a laptop (vista with mobile device centre) and a two month old netbook (windows 7 home). on every single device i get exactly the same message if i try to start up kies. i have used every single usb port on each of the three computers. i have tried different data cables on all three computers. that is the limit of my attempts to solve the problem. in all respects the 'phone package' has failed. to suggest that i need to learn something is, frankly ridiculous and insulting. i do not need to learn how to drive every time i purchase a car. if i buy a washing machine i dont need to relearn how wash clothing. nor do i need to purchase an electrical engineering degree to understand how the mechanism functions. why do have to 'learn something' when i purchase a phone. i expect it to work.
as scotty said 'The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain' (wow i cant believe i was able to look that up. why is it easy to create a site with star trek quotes but no one can code software able to work all the time)

Upvote 0
ok i do not actually hate the phone. but i am annoyed that the phone (i include in this term the physical unit and the software) is not meeting my expectations nor is it working as implied. i was told 'it will sync with outlook'. it doesn't sync with outlook. period. i was told you can use gmail to sync it. you cant unless you have the outlook version that gmail specifies. so it failed on those two points. it failed to work as a package. my consumer expectations have not been met. i cannot just turn on my phone, load some software and use the phone as suggested. i have no idea what flashing a rom is. why would i need to know?. i don't need to know how my car engine e.c.u works or how it does what it does. i don't buy a 2nd hand and assume it is flawed because it is not the latest model. i don't expect a 2003 holden Astra to be as fast or efficient as a newer model. but i do expect to be able to drive on exactly the same roads and highways and i do expect that i can actually use the highways and not be unable to use the highways because i don't have the latest model car. nor would i buy a car with 3 doors welded shut because the manufacturer or previous owner decided on a whim that this is how i will be allowed to use it.
i have trawled the forums for three days now. i am not a tech savvy person. nor am i particularly computer savvy. a computer is a tool i use to carry our my wishes. my outlook program is perfectly suited to what i need. why should i have to buy the latest version just to cater to Google's restrictions ?. I used to have an imate jamin. great phone. i plug it into the computer, the computer 'sees' it and i can do whatever i want to it. i can move files with three mouse clicks to wherever i want. it synced automatically. that phone performed, as a phone and system, perfectly.
i have no interest in figuring out what is wrong with the phone. the 'system' (phone and software) failed. i have asked for the contract to be cancelled but as usual optus said '**** you, we have your signature'. My expectations on two levels have not been met. The phone has now been sent in for repair and i have stated that i will take the phone home and try the software. if the software fails i will bring the phone straight back until the problem is fixed. I feel perfectly justified in this. The 'phone' is one component in a system exactly the same way that a two burner camping stove is part of a system. it would be ridiculous to complain 'my burner doesnt work because you didnt tell me i had to buy a gas bottle, leads and a regulator'. i would, however, be perfectly justified in complaining if a pipe was faulty and leaking gas. It is moronic to suggest the system is not faulty because the other two components were working. the 'system' is not fulfilling its function. why is it except-able to imply i am being somehow picky or childish if i apply the same consumer expectations to a mobile phone. the phone cost much much more therefore my expectations are higher and so will my disappointment be if the system fails to function
Ok annoyed rant over with.
I have used kies about 8 times over the last two days. i have downloaded the software directly from samsung. at no time has any of the kies packages worked. they have however installed. but every time i try to use the software i get an error message and an offer to send the error to ms. i have tried each of the kies packages on three different computers. a desktop (xp), a laptop (vista with mobile device centre) and a two month old netbook (windows 7 home). on every single device i get exactly the same message if i try to start up kies. i have used every single usb port on each of the three computers. i have tried different data cables on all three computers. that is the limit of my attempts to solve the problem. in all respects the 'phone package' has failed. to suggest that i need to learn something is, frankly ridiculous and insulting. i do not need to learn how to drive every time i purchase a car. if i buy a washing machine i dont need to relearn how wash clothing. nor do i need to purchase an electrical engineering degree to understand how the mechanism functions. why do have to 'learn something' when i purchase a phone. i expect it to work.
as scotty said 'The more they overthink the plumbing, the easier it is to stop up the drain' (wow i cant believe i was able to look that up. why is it easy to create a site with star trek quotes but no one can code software able to work all the time)

Other than the points above would you say you are satisfied with this phone?

Upvote 0
I cant answer that question. I have not actually 'used' the phone as a consumer.:D
Incidentally does anyone know if it is possible to 'read' or 'copy' a Microsoft error message. Whenever i attempt to start kies i receive the error message 'mainstage has encountered a problem and needs to close'. I have googled the term mainstage and it appears to be some sort of music software associated with apple and a few clubs at various locations. Do i perhaps have a piece of software causing a conflict. any answers would be greatly appreciated. thank you. :thinking:

Upvote 0
I tend to agree with the OP.
For an out of box experience the Galaxy sux. How did 10 million of these get sold? Yes hardware great but the operating system - sheesh.
I too sense the OP's frustration in the upgrade process - just like linux - lots of advice but never quite complete and too much assumed - just enough not written to make life hard. Many guides are out there - just have to keep reading to piece it together.

As for Kies OMG - how did this ever get released. Once I managed to upgrade from 2.1 to 2.2 in the phone things improved but - grief - gettig to v2.2 - talk about in the lap of the gods - the upgrade was a nightmare - finally got the v2.1 phone to talk to the PC once only and upgraded after windows reinstalls, driver reinstalls etc.

All that said. I have upgraded to Darky's ROM v8.0 and there I will stay. This is how the phone should have been released in the first place. Fast and responsive.

How dare Samsung release the POS operating system that was supplied stock.

Next complaint, why not release RF hardware common to all regions? Apple can do it, Rim can do it - why not Samsung? Cheap cheap.

Yes although I am happy now - iphone 5 looks very attractive.

Should I post this or not - what the hell ..

Upvote 0
I hated my SGS too. I still despise any Samsung product because of the SGS. But I'm not even close to being the right market for the iStuff. The cure is to abandon the manufacturers and carriers but that takes some hacking abilities or education. Once I got comfortable with rooting and flashing I finally have an SGS that I should have had out of the box. I'm fine with it now but I'll never buy a Samsung again. But I'll stick with Android since with some work it can be what I want.

Keis is banished from my house forever. Samsung official ROMs are banished. Samsung apps of any kind including the UI is banished. Carrier branded anything is banished. Now my SGS running 2.2.1 is happy, fast, lagfree, and as a bonus the GPS even works. Pretty much the same is true of all the phones but the SGS was a milestone in poor software design. Pure android is fine though.

Upvote 0
Does anybody out there understand what the following means

retrieving the com class factory for component with clsid (045c184f-2188-4c99-a95a-9c0dcd19050) failed due to the following error:80040154 class not registered (exception from hresult: 0x80040154 regbb_E_classnotreg.

I briefly had kies up and running but i made the mistake of updating it. Inevitably if failed to run. Post a reg scan and the use of the kies uninstaller i reinstalled kies from a mini. it is currently running but it does not carry out any of its functions. it will not sync with outlook (see above error message) it does not sync contacts.

i recently installed, per samsung suggestion
direct x 9.0
media player 11
active sync
framework 4.0

build 2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647

Application name Outlook
Version 10.0
Build 6863
Product ID 54185-640-0000025-17104
Language English (United States)
Application Path C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office10\
System Language English (United States)
Mail Support Not Available
Current folder Inbox
Current item Not Available

any info is appreciated. i really am at the '**** this for a joke'. i cant get out of the contract (optus doesnt give a **** cos they get their money regardless of my problems). (Incidentally this is a constant problem in australia. Australian companies really just dont seem to give a damn about their customers. They really just dont seem to understand service. its not servility. its helping people. ). if i cant solve this problem in the next month then i may as well just keep using my old phone and dump this one in the draw. So any help is appreciated

Reactions: Stusmygsan2.1
Upvote 0
I don't know what that means and I feel your pain. We don't get much more love in Canada. Instead of fighting the carriers and Samsung the only fix for me was to remove kies forever and flash it the right way with roms from xd-developers.
I'd rather have a working phone that does what it should then fight the carrier over warranty. Best tip beyond that is to never sign a contract and always buy the phone outright.

Upvote 0
Just make sure you buy an iPhone 5 if you really really hate it and get rid of it.

Good idea if he want's a phone thats over expensive locked down a lot of functions and is probably going to have shortcommings like the 4

Cant call if you use your left hand (gotta be the most epic fail on a phone)
Buying a phone and you can play games only prob is you can't call

and it sais good bluetooth support but blutooth also sucs an the galaxy is way faster.

Upvote 0
Which update? I'm on Orange and have 2.2 through Kies.

You don't want to upgrade through Kies. Samsung are having huge issues with it. I was talking to a Samsung Help Centre staff member who told me that Samsung Kies just stacks the firmware versions on top of each other. It doesn't replace them. Which makes things slow, takes up space, causes major crashing and just generally lags. Get it manually upgraded in store until Samsung fix Kies.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones