• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate replacing/swapping epics...

H

HanMan5000

I'm on my fourth Epic.

When I first got the Epic I was reading through a lot of posts and found some of you all to be on your 5th and 6th epics. I thought to myself, wow I don't see why this would happen the phone is functioning so perfectly. Then after a few days, bam.

1st Epic: Did not charge - Plugged it in nothing
2nd Epic: According to sprint rep. Not receiving updates OTA,was told to take it to radioshack - stuck on DI07
3rd Epic: Blown out speaker - seriously wtf

Now, the third epic I had was the weirdest. I woke up this morning and turned on my Epic. I opened the browser and began browsing the normal pages I do every day. Then, I hear a POP from the back speaker, and then a bunch of scratchy noises. I turn the phone off, take the battery out for 30 seconds and turn it on. Now the speaker sounds like sh*t quality.. Had to get it replaced.

I really don't think any of the above problems were my fault though, I took precious care for my Epic and always kept it safe in the case..

The embarrassing part is walking into radioshack, getting it exchanged by the same radioshack staff 3 times... The third time they were out of stock and I had to go to ANOTHER radioshack store. Was very unpleasant.

Now what scares me is, after the 3rd epic I had speaker blew out,I went to sprint to get it fixed because I didn't want to replace it again.. But the sprint representative said they don't fix it unless its the first device...really?! What if I have another problem by the time the year is over? Its usually 1 year fixed at sprint. Is this true? Can someone clear this up please?

I really hope this last Epic works fine, I really do not want to go into Radioshack or a Sprint store again for the rest of my life.. -.-. If it does I might have to get an Evo, which is sad because I love the Epics Screen, Keyboard, everything.

Thanks for reading.

I'm on my fourth Epic.

When I first got the Epic I was reading through a lot of posts and found some of you all to be on your 5th and 6th epics. I thought to myself, wow I don't see why this would happen the phone is functioning so perfectly. Then after a few days, bam.

1st Epic: Did not charge - Plugged it in nothing
2nd Epic: According to sprint rep. Not receiving updates OTA,was told to take it to radioshack - stuck on DI07
3rd Epic: Blown out speaker - seriously wtf

Now, the third epic I had was the weirdest. I woke up this morning and turned on my Epic. I opened the browser and began browsing the normal pages I do every day. Then, I hear a POP from the back speaker, and then a bunch of scratchy noises. I turn the phone off, take the battery out for 30 seconds and turn it on. Now the speaker sounds like sh*t quality.. Had to get it replaced.

I really don't think any of the above problems were my fault though, I took precious care for my Epic and always kept it safe in the case..

The embarrassing part is walking into radioshack, getting it exchanged by the same radioshack staff 3 times... The third time they were out of stock and I had to go to ANOTHER radioshack store. Was very unpleasant.

Now what scares me is, after the 3rd epic I had speaker blew out,I went to sprint to get it fixed because I didn't want to replace it again.. But the sprint representative said they don't fix it unless its the first device...really?! What if I have another problem by the time the year is over? Its usually 1 year fixed at sprint. Is this true? Can someone clear this up please?

I really hope this last Epic works fine, I really do not want to go into Radioshack or a Sprint store again for the rest of my life.. -.-. If it does I might have to get an Evo, which is sad because I love the Epics Screen, Keyboard, everything.

Thanks for reading.

Im on number 6 and its still working fine as long as I don't burn it up playing Angry Birds. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0
Fifth one here. Although to be fair, I didn't really need the fifth one. As it turned out, had the Sprint representative checked properly for tower issues, they would've noticed that the tower near my home was down. Instead I spent the whole day dicking around with setting up a new phone, not knowing the tower was down. Oh well, this one seems to sound better than my forth one. Thanks Sprint!

Upvote 0
Do you really have to return your phone if you can't get the OTA update? We got our phones a week and a half ago and the update never came through, so we did it manually via the instructions over at XDA. Everything is fine with both mine and my husband's phones so I'd hate to have to switch them out.

That is very weird they didn't just update automatically. I got a new phone a week ago (swapped out because my phone was scratching the keyboard badly) and both ota updates came through within an hour. The first update came as I was walking out of the sprint store with the new phone.

Sent from my Samsung Epic 4G

Upvote 0
Do you really have to return your phone if you can't get the OTA update? We got our phones a week and a half ago and the update never came through, so we did it manually via the instructions over at XDA. Everything is fine with both mine and my husband's phones so I'd hate to have to switch them out.

I didn't want to do anything manually if it was intended to be OTA. If it didn't update automatically like it should have then it might not do it the next update.

I took it into a sprint service center like I was advised to after being on the phone with sprint for an hour. They told me to get it replaced at Radioshack, I guess they were too damn lazy to install it themselves.

Every time I walked into Radioshack it was the same 2 people... I got some nasty looks to..but its not like its my fault, right?

Whatever, I'm still on this 4th epic. So far so good, I hope it doesn't have another problem with it, because I'm out of my 30 days, and when I walked into sprint with my last epic (busted speaker) they said they aren't fixing it for some reason.. something about me having many epics? Also going to add the guy who told me this wasn't being very nice. He was talking in a smartass voice as well. Its really starting to aggravate me. I don't deserve taking shit like that from Sprint reps after I've been with sprint for 2+ years.

Upvote 0
WTF.... I don't understand how one person could have so many problems with their Epics. Maybe the individual retailers, that you guys are getting replacements from, have a large shipment of faulty devices. That is the only thing that makes any sense to me. My 1st Epic has not had a single issue since the day I've received it, thankfully.

I use it a lottt btw: droid games, emulated games, movies, music, and web browsing every day. Not bragging, ha, just it blows my mind with my use that I hear people saying they're on their 4th-6th Epic... that is insane.

Upvote 0
It's just comforting to know that I wasn't the only one.

I am on my 4th Epic.

First one: defective battery
Second one: OVERHEATING problem. Plus, the phone would stop charging at 37%. Of course I would be fast asleep while this was taking place.
In the morning, my phone would feel like a hot coffee mug.

3rd one...actually it probably was ok, but I thought it was defective due to people telling me that my voice quality was bad.

Also, I am really shoked that no one has posted anything about this issue yet, but what about if you drive and don't want to buy a BT headset? You use the headset that is in the package right??

Well beware, when driving over 30 mph the party to whom you are speaking will hear un bearable amounts of noise and static and will not hear 1 word you say.

I experienced this issue with all 4 epics that I have had.

Next stop: EVO.
I RAISED HELL and embarassed my self with both customer servce and the sprint store and finally managed to get them to send me an Evo.

Had it for a week...not a bad phone...actually its the closest thing to a landline in terms of h9ow your voice quality sounds on the other end.

But I just couldn't forget the fast processor and navigation through menus, the gorgeous screen.

So I did the unthinkable...I exchanged back to the epic with one gamble...after froyo it will be the perfect phone.

So here I am with a gorgeous phone that lacks a lot and doesn't get the job done.

And I am left saying...

"WTF?!"

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones