• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

I hate the new weather channel app.

I actually like the new Weather Channel app. I switch from The Weather Network to Weather Channel because Weather Channel presents radar imagery much better than TWN. Weather Channel also has a better widget.

There are a few annoying features I find with Weather Channel. First of all, it takes too may taps to get the information I want. Upon launch, it just shows me the temperature and a picture that I do not care for. I have to expand the temperature display to show more detailed information. Also, the forecast is on at different tab. The hourly forecast requires 2 taps as the first tap shows me a 6 hour forecast with a picture I don't care for. Also, even though I have my temperature units set to metric, the text of the weather forecast still uses imperial units.

Upvote 0
So many weather apps! I have heard a lot of complaints about The Weather Channel's new interface. I recently did a review for a noob that had some questions about weather apps. I hadn't looked into The Weather Channel in a long time and I see what everyone is saying about the new UI - clean but unimpressive. I think they have one of the best radar pages around. I love the long time-period animation and the 'future' cast is also really cool. No one else is doing that.

I'm currently favoring Weatherbug Elite. Here's a link to that thread (it's buried a few pages back now). I gave my opinion on several of the more common weather apps and radar-only apps with grades. It might be helpful in selecting a new weather app:

http://androidforums.com/android-applications/692321-weather-radar-apps-help.html#post5584789

Reactions: shelliewnj
Upvote 0
The first few days after the update came out, the reviews were running about 50 to 1 against it. Now it seems to be leveling out a bit.

It is just that I could see everything I wanted with one swipe, now I swipe and scroll and push and then scroll then wipe then.... You get it.

I will try weather bug.

Upvote 0
The first few days after the update came out, the reviews were running about 50 to 1 against it. Now it seems to be leveling out a bit.

It is just that I could see everything I wanted with one swipe, now I swipe and scroll and push and then scroll then wipe then.... You get it.

I will try weather bug.

People hate change. When Beautiful Widgets made a radical change to their app, there was a horrible outcry against it. Then it leveled out and people warmed up to it. Same thing with the ribbon bars in MS Office, etc.

Upvote 0
People hate change. When Beautiful Widgets made a radical change to their app, there was a horrible outcry against it. Then it leveled out and people warmed up to it. Same thing with the ribbon bars in MS Office, etc.

I agree with you 100% about resistance to change, but they wronged this app big time. They had everything I needed on two screens and you just swiped to change cities. For me, and I say for me, it was the perfect app. I travel between two homes and I fly into different cities to get to them depending on where I get a cheap deal on airfare. It was so easy for me to check the weather. Now, not so much.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones