1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

I hate the scroll for date/time in calendar

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by rezeew, Jan 9, 2012.

1. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    Just let me type it in! I hate having to scroll all the way to the hour or half hour.

Does anyone have a 3rd party calendar app they can recommend that will let me type in the times? It's a small thing but I really hate scrolling right past 3:30. I'd be happy if the only options were on the half hours, really.

EDIT: I do like google calendar and would like to stick with it, so I'd hope any 3rd party apps will work with GCal.

Advertisement

2. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    This works pretty good: Quick Event for Android | AppBrain.com

rezeew likes this.
  3. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    Pretty cool. It'll take a little getting used to, but this could replace having to manually enter anything, so very neat. Thank you.

4. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    Galaxy Nexus? Does it not allow tapping the number to type in? Geez I hope TW, Sense, Sony and Moto fixes that on their skins.

rezeew likes this.
  5. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    You should be able to type it in instead of scrolling. I can do that on all my Android devices.

6. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    This is the time entry box that comes up when you click on the start or end time of a new event. I tried long clicking on the whole field hoping it would just let me start typing, but it does not. This is the stock 4.0.2 calendar app.

[​IMG]

If you long press on the minutes and hour fields, you can type in a number. They must be entered separately, and both require a separate long press. I didn't even know this was possible until a few minutes ago. So that's a step in the right direction I guess. Thanks, ChanChan

Anyway, I would like something with one text entry field for the start time and one for the end time. There does not appear to be a way to make this the default. If anyone has a recommendation for something to make this a little more user friendly, I'd appreciate it. Maybe I'm the only one who hates the choice wheel?

7. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    rezeew likes this.
  8. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    Thanks for the suggestion. This app is actually pretty nice, but it doesn't seem to have any widgets at all that I can see. Maybe just not updated for ICS yet? I spent a while scrolling through all my available widgets, and none of them appeared to be Jorte. Also searched the market to see if maybe widgets were a separate download.

Default input in the app interface is still the scroll (plus/minus) wheel with the option to click on the numbers for text input.

Even with no widgets, this is pretty nice, and I might end up using it. Thanks.

9. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    it's the best Calendar App bar none IMO. the big 4x4 Month (or largest one for your device - 4x5, 5x4, 5x5) is awesome.

the big widget doesn't have a scroll wheel. it's a numeric pad to enter date etc.

Jorte widgets work on the G-Nex and ICS. i tested this on a Verizon G-Nex a few days ago. not sure why the widgets aren't showing up for you. i think i happened to be using Nova Launcher though but i don't think that should make a difference. try again and also look in Jorte settings.

keep us posted.

good luck!

p.s. here's my other favorite Calendar-related App -

Quick Calendar shows your upcoming or current appointments in the status bar. this feature is awesome.

https://market.android.com/details?id=net.jimblackler.quickcalendar&hl=en

10. rezeew

rezeew Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 8, 2010
    Tech Support
    Boston, MA
    A ha!

I initially installed from the Market website using the link you provided. After uninstalling and reinstalling from the Market app on my phone, I have widgets. Weird.

I see what you mean now. The time is a text entry box. This is the same on the app and in the widget. In fact, there doesn't seem to be a separate way to add a new event from the widget. It just brings you into the app, which is fine.

I had been clicking on the date and still getting the +/- wheel for the date. Which is not really an issue since more than likely I'm clicking on the date in question to set up the new event (and even if I'm not, it's Being able to quickly and easily type in the time is awesome, and the interface they bring up for it by default is great.

This also does something else I was really missing after moving from my Incredible and having sense: a really nice, detailed, full-screen calendar widget. This has every possibly size of widget, very customizable. Really digging this app. Thanks again.

11. Gekko

Gekko Android Expert
    None

Mar 20, 2010
    USA
    yeah i love it. you're welcome. enjoy!